+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Perhaps a nurse in at the other cafes nearby, all friendly and welcoming. Give those other businesses a chance to take a stand for breastfeeding women and have a bumper sale day while they're at it. Maybe fun t-shirts for staff with boobs on and pink cookies with nipples

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAgirl View Post
    I am a breastfeeder and passionate about it but I don't think either will do much good!

I would also be a bit annoyed if someone said that to me while I was Bf DS but I wouldn't go running to the media.

I can see both sides of the argument. It's our right to breastfeed or babies whenever and wherever, however i can see how some people may not like to see it. That's not to say a BF mother needs to cover up, but I do see how some can feel 'uncomfortable' seeing a bare breast.

Lets face it, SOME people are NOT that discreet. I have seen women openly let their breast hang out for a few minutes before even attempting to put their baby on. I'm not saying this woman did this, just saying I can see on some occasions WHY it would make someone feel uncomfortable.

I think all businesses need to know the rules and laws but breastfeeding mothers should be equally respectful.

That's just my tale on it
    Don't open that can of worms again
    You will get roasted by those that think it's perfectly acceptable to leave your breast out between feeds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    We stood outside- here's a pic or two
    That was actually quite moving. Well done - I think you guys did a great thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    The cafe didn't vilify a BFing mother. The individual did. And I'm pretty sure the individual wouldn't have asked for permission before they did so, so I fail to see how the business could have avoided that situation before it happened.

That's what frustrates me. It's a broad-brush response to an individual's actions.

ETA: Thinking further on it I guess the business should have ensured that they make it clear in training etc. in regards to discrimination in the workplace. I'll pay that.
    But it still frustrates me when people go broad-brush when it's a reaction to an individual's actions.
    The individual in question is the cafe owner/manager.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still think education would have been a more sensible approach - some people genuinely do not know that it is a law protected right to breastfeed in public. Some people do find it disgusting. Honestly I think approaching the business and person in question, with fact sheets and giving them some handouts and a little education to pass onto their staff members, would have had a greater impact. Perhaps they could get ABA stickers on their windows so people know that they are educated regarding the law, it may even encourage business as it shows they are anti discrimination? One of my childless sisters is horrified by women who breastfeed in public, she said she does feel uncomfortable when I breastfeed in front of her, and she was not aware it was protected by law - she has 3 university degrees but has never needed this information or anything to do with breastfeeding - I have educated her and now she has a different view.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    The individual in question is the cafe owner/manager.
    Ah well in that case, I stand completely and entirely corrected! @ss kicking should certainly ensue .
    I thought that it was just an employee/manager as none of the articles I read mentioned the fact that it was actually the cafe OWNER. That's definitely a different story.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    Ah well in that case, I stand completely and entirely corrected! @ss kicking should certainly ensue .
    I thought that it was just an employee/manager as none of the articles I read mentioned the fact that it was actually the cafe OWNER. That's definitely a different story.
    Yes it was all a bit back and forth to begin with and initially she didn't admit it and kept referring to "the manager" who said the awful things. Then she eventually admitted that she is actually who made the comments!

And MummaOJ, information was handed out and we also walked around and handed the leaflets out to other cafes and restaurants in the area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Well done to all the ladies who took part in the boob in.

I can't understand those who say why bother, we already have the legal right to BF wherever, there's no point shoving a penis down anyone's throat.

Just because something's legal it doesn't mean it's accepted. And until its more widely accepted BF rates won't improve.
    - do the naysayers think African Americans suddenly had perfect lives when the civil rights ACT was passed in 1964? It took generations of continued social vigilance and protest for the changes to have real impact.

To the lazy apathists out there (yes I think I made that word up): your daughters/daughters in law/grand daughters will likely reap the benefit of the efforts of the ladies that took part in todays boob-in.

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Ashram  (26-02-2013),Atropos  (26-02-2013),Benji  (27-02-2013),CitrusRainxxx  (26-02-2013),GreenMama  (26-02-2013),MissMuppet  (26-02-2013),Mod-Degrassi  (26-02-2013),NancyBlackett  (26-02-2013),rainbow road  (26-02-2013),RobinSparkles  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey GreenMama... Was that you on Today Tonight?

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Well done to all the ladies who took part in the boob in.

I can't understand those who say why bother, we already have the legal right to BF wherever, there's no point shoving a penis down anyone's throat.
    I think it was one person that said that the comments after was trying to figure out if she was quoting something but had miss quoted