+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eko View Post
    REALLY agree on that one too, Sassy has nailed it. Put it in an add on TV. Normalise it. Desensitize those who are uncomfortable to it and make it something that you see at least once a day and those people who have issues with it will soon get over it.
    It's because BFing in public is still sadly less common than it should be so people just aren't exposed to it as much as they could be. Get it out there in a matter of fact and intentionally non-antagonistic way and people will begin to accept it without a fight.
    When only 15% of babies over the age if 3 months old are exclusively breastfed, I would hardly call it 'normal'.
    Educating new Mums would be money better spent (& Fathers as I know a few men who do not want their wives to breastfeed).

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I just am not sure I feel this will work. Im not saying it wont, Im saying it makes me uneasy to think that people are being forced to be around something that makes them uncomfortable for whatever their personal reason is.
    I'm forced to be around slooty looking beaches when I go shopping, isn't that worse?

Sent from my talky stick

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just am not sure I feel this will work. Im not saying it wont, Im saying it makes me uneasy to think that people are being forced to be around something that makes them uncomfortable for whatever their personal reason is.
    Ashram had a good analogy - Rosa Parks Loads of people were made to feel 'uncomfortable' but when people's discomfort (and bigotry) gets in the way of other's rights it's a world gone mad.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I really don't get your suggestion tbh. We are constantly reminded about a lot of laws, how does reminding people of the laws in place to the opposite of what is 'intended'? Isn't the intention to remind people of the law??
    Sorry, missed this post.

It certainly comes across to many that reminding of the law not to discriminate a BF mother, is not the ONLY reason for the nurse-ins...so the intentions are more than just that.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by αληθη View Post
    I'm forced to be around slooty looking beaches when I go shopping, isn't that worse?

Sent from my talky stick
    Haha yeah I agree, but that is a whooooooole other thread

Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Ashram had a good analogy - Rosa Parks Loads of people were made to feel 'uncomfortable' but when people's discomfort (and bigotry) gets in the way of other's rights it's a world gone mad.
    Sorry, I am not aware of what Rosa Parks is.

I am not saying the law should change, I am not saying people shouldnt stand up for what they believe in, I am not saying that people shouldnt breastfeed in public...............I am just trying to offer up the flip side of these kinds of protests and, as usual, am picking the brains of hubbers because I am genuinely interested to see what other peoples opinions and views are on different subjects. Im rarely arguing, more just saying 'ohh ok..but what if..' sort of thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I do wonder what would happen if a mother was asked to leave a venue or cover her baby while she fed her baby with a bottle?

I know a lot of people have strange opinions of babies being fed with bottles, and going by some attitudes I have heard about bottle-fed babies I have no doubt there are some people who are uncomfortable seeing them being fed with bottles (I'm not one of them at all btw).

Personally, I would hope that other mothers would also band together and let people know that this kind of discrimination is not okay. I get the feeling that because this is part of the sex discrimination legislation people don't take it as seriously but in my opinion it is no different to discriminating based on disability, sex, race or sexuality.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, I am not aware of what Rosa Parks is.

I am not saying the law should change, I am not saying people shouldnt stand up for what they believe in, I am not saying that people shouldnt breastfeed in public...............I am just trying to offer up the flip side of these kinds of protests and, as usual, am picking the brains of hubbers because I am genuinely interested to see what other peoples opinions and views are on different subjects. Im rarely arguing, more just saying 'ohh ok..but what if..' sort of thing.
    I'm fairly sure there's a pretty good movie about her - she broke the law as an African American by not moving for a caucasian passenger on a bus.

I know you're not arguing and I totally get where you're coming from I really don't think anyone is taking your responses as argumentative, but answering your genuine queries.

αληθη is offline BH name read as Aleethee
    Winner 2012 - One most likely to be hacked by Nomsie
    Thanks
    Reviews
    London, I love you

As for pretty much all protests (even if I agree with what they're upset about), I just don't care. I think a lot of people are like that and the protesters are just seen as annoying (to me anyway). I used to get really involved in these things and be very opinionated but now I just think 'mm get over it.'

I have heaps more to add but can't be bothered right now lol, so I might comment again later elaborating.

Sent from my talky stick

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to αληθη For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (26-02-2013),MummaOJ  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like religion, penis', gay rights and the environment. Everyone gets sick of these things being shoved down their throat.
    I don't know how much of this is meant to be a joke, but until we sort these things out, gay rights and environmental issues will continue to be "shoved down your throat", as well they should.
    Last edited by InWatermelonSugar; 26-02-2013 at 15:36.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to InWatermelonSugar For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (26-02-2013)

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Like religion, penis', gay rights and the environment. Everyone gets sick of these things being shoved down their throat.

Sent from my talky stick
    Are you meaning the quote having a religion is like having a penis it is ok to have one, it is not ok to some it down peoples throats ??
    Or having a opinion is like having a penis it's ok to have one but its not ok to shove it down peoples throats