+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I actually lean towards no2 with more structure. Maybe it's because as a parent I like routine & my DS also thrives on it. Getting prepared for school though I would think (for me) this is important, setting expectations etc

Whilst this part won't concern you since your LO is older, I also wouldn't like my much younger child being in the same playground as 4yr olds (no1).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Being an early childhood teacher myself and has previously worked in a private centre and am currently working in a not for profit centre, I would like to give you some ideas to ponder. The biggest thing to look at is the program, ask to see their room program, this will provide you an insight on the experiences that they put out for the children, also look at their daily diary.... Have a read as it will help you understand just how child focused they are, rather than being focused on what the teachers want to do.
    Have a look at the resources of the centre, look at the quality, are there a lot of different things out for the children to play with. Make sure that your happy to leave your child there and that your child would have fun and also learn in this environment.

Now just to provide an insight on the private and not for profit centre. Private centres can put more stress on thief staff as well the owners of the centre be in it for the money. Though not all are like that. The not for profit tend to look after their staff and ensure that they are happy with what is happening.

If it was me making the decision I would chose the not for profit, having the small class works so much better for children. It allows the room to run smoother. If your worried about the outdoor time, see if you can go in for a visit and watch how they work it. And also by allowing them to mix with the babies it allows the older children to teach the younger ones certain skills, and the older ones learn from these experiences.

Well I could continue on forever, I hope it gives you something to think about. Good luck with your decisions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you all so much.
    It is so hard. I would prefer non profit too, however my DS too thrives on routine / structure and I am worried that he would not cope there.
    I didn't mention this earlier, but when I went to visit the non profit one, around 5 young boys from the 3.5 - 4/5 yr room were outside playing with 'batons' small brooms and acting like they were swords, one carer was just sitting with her back to them and the main kinder teacher was in the kitchen. I pointed it out to the lady showing me around and she ran over to stop them. Maybe it was just bad timing!
    And going back to what my friends said about wishing there were a little stricter and the kids often coming home a little wild.

The for profit teacher was playing blocks with the kids when I visited, I did hear her tell another girl it was not nice to knock over another girls block etc, so although quiet, she was interacting with them.

I will take DS to the profit centre, just for a 10min visit and see what his reaction is, then start orientation for 2hrs a couple of days later. They have a great play gym outside and a slide/tunnel/climbing parts and DS loves that sort of stuff. (The non profit had more low play equipment).

I wish the non profit was more structured! (The director did say they don't have a set time of the day to do group time, etc).

Thanks
    Reviews
    According to me 1st one is better than the other since the kinder teacher was interactive. So she'll be much involved with the children. Secondly Children can enjoy outside anytime as per their own wish.