+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Which childcare/kinder centre?

I have the choice of 2 I like:

* first is non profit, recommended to me by a couple of mums.
    -Has aporox 14 kids in 3.5+ age group room
    -Has kinder teacher
    - The kinder teacher was keen to talk to me
    - BIG yard that doesn't divide age groups and all the rooms open up to this yard (I'm more concerned about supervision, even though she told me carers are always out there)
    -Children will be allowed to play outside anytime, so I'm more concerned about the structure of the program and preparing him for school.

* the other one is private. ( I don't know anyone who has been there)
    -Run by kinder teacher too, approx 20, up to I think 25 if numbers reach captivity in room (with other carers too)
    -The kinder teacher didn't seem that interested to talk to me when I visited, maybe because she was busy with the kids?
    -Yard is separate to babies
    -Im pretty sure the kids will only be allowed out as a group at set times (eg after morning tea) and also there was a program book listing what they do throughout the day. (eg story time)
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 26-02-2013 at 05:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I like the first one. The fact they wanted to take the time to talk to u is great. The place my son is in wasn't like that and now it shows they are bad in other areas too .
    I do like that they tell u the activities though. Love that maybe ask the first one if they can advise you the same then it would be perfect in my eyes!
    Doesn't happen to be in perth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for reading!!
    In Melbourne.

I might ask the non profit one more about the kinder program.

Thanks
    Reviews

Darn cuz the first one sounds really nice! Good luck with it just make sure u get all the answers u need before signing up . I didnt have much of an idea and now there are no other placements locally for my son so he is stuck in a crappy one where he comes home so disgusting! They don't clean him up after meals etc

Ask if they wash kids hands before meals and after wash faces and hands again. That's a big thing for me teaching hygiene

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just received an email from a friend of mine that sends her kids there and she did say they have time inside to do activities and make beds, clear dishes etc
    However she did say (this is for the first one) that she wishes they were a little more strict and that sometimes her kids come home wild!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just spoke to our nonprofit Centre and their program is more based on children learning through play and child initiated.

Centre 2 (private) has a little more routine and structure, but also children can choose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmmm yeh I don't know I suppose the discipline is good too..do u feel better going into one that the other?
    Maybe ask the one that didnt have time for u the first time if u can come in again when she has more time to talk? Could have just been a busy time. See with my one she never ever has time. Not just because it was the busy time.. It's all times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pisang View Post
    Hmmm yeh I don't know I suppose the discipline is good too..do u feel better going into one that the other?
    Maybe ask the one that didnt have time for u the first time if u can come in again when she has more time to talk? Could have just been a busy time. See with my one she never ever has time. Not just because it was the busy time.. It's all times!
    When I spoke to the director today, she said that carer is quiet, the atmosphere is more calm. (before I even mentioned she didn't really say much to me)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's a good sign then it wasn't like she was trying to make excuses because didnt know what you were going to say.
    I wouldn't really want shy or quiet carers though.. Does she get down and talk with the kids? Or was that the director? I suppose doesn't matter if director is like that.

Both sound really good anyway I wish I had those 2 to choose from!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go not for profit. Children learn more when they initiate the ideas as they are actually interested in it. Having said that intentional teaching is also very important.
    Do they have a routine or guide for the day that you could look at?
    Also I would suggest finding a bit more out about the quiet teacher. I know many teachers that are quiet but are really great at what they do. Is she just shy around adults or the children as well?