+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is the difference? Confused!

Hi girls, I've done a lot of reading but I'm still finding myself confused with the differences between private and public. We have private health insurance so that's not an issue. From what I understand, if we had a baby through the public system, can we only go to a hospital we are zoned to and not any public hospital we wish? In the public system, for each appointment do you go to the hospital and see a different obstetrician each time? Or do you see a different midwife each time? Do you get the same amount or less appointments in the public system compared to private?

If we were to go private we get to pick our hospital & obstetrician & we see the same ob for all our appointments in their rooms?

Can anyone clarify if I'm understanding right? I don't understand how the public system works and who you would see at each appointment? I'm trying to justify spending the extra $$$ on private. So many decisions! Any advice or information you can give would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yes, public you will need to go to the hospital that covers your catchment area. You will see a different midwife (low risk) or OB ( high risk) for each appointment, who ever is covering the clinic that day. When you deliver, you will be attended by the midwife or OB on duty. Appointment schedules are very similar to private.
    Private you choose your OB who you see for every appointment. You choose the hospital based on where your OB delivers. You will be attended by the midwives in that hospital, who will call your OB when you are close to giving birth to come and attend you.
    Go with what you feel comfortable with, and what you can afford.
    Good luck with your decision :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

It may depend on your state, but through public you can do case loading, where you see the same midwife the whole way through.

I was told that I had to go to the hospital in the area, I didn't question it, and just went, however, a friend who is now pregnant wanted to go to a different hospital, I don't know how she went about but she is going to a hospital of her choice not the one in her catchment.

You can also do a combination I went to a public hospital but wanted to have my own OB so I booked into the local hospital, but was seeing an OB at his rooms, you pay for each appointment, but get some back from Medicare. You also then pay per night at for your stay in hospital.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Zabella gave a pretty good summary for you OP. your assumptions were mainly correct to.

To help your dilemma of justifying the extra private costs....it's really a very personal decision, what's important to others may not be for you. Here's the main reasons I decided to use my PHI:-

- continuity of care with same OB
    - private room where partner can stay
    - great ante & postnatal classes
    - much better food, with menu to choose from
    - longer stay than in public, time for milk to come in etc

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

CrystalS11  (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could also choose to do shared care with your gp. I think it is just 3 hospital appts and the rest with your gp who is ob trained. The public hosp I work at has around 3 quarters single rooms so partners can stay. But every hosp is different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also as PP have said, often you are lucky to get a private room in a public hospital anyway.

Obviously this would not be guaranteed in public though, whereas in many private these days it is (my private hospital doesn't even have shared rooms in maternity anymore, so was a huge bonus for me).

This is very much dependent on the hospital though, so perhaps you could visit your local public and private hospitals for a tour to help make up your mind on facilities overall?

I also would never have wanted to birth in the public hospitals in my local catchment area, so my decision to use PHI in private was a no-brainer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for your information, it is a great help!