+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

On the flip side, I was positive for GBS with my last pregnancy. My labour was only 3 hours long, so even if I had had the antibiotics, there wouldn't have been been enough time for it to have any affect on the baby. She is perfectly healthy.

It's just another thing creating hysteria, like listeria. Should all pregnant women be enclosed in a completely sterile room only feeding them some formula that's been developed to prevent any slight risk? That's ridiculous.

The risk is so very minimal, and monitoring a baby is far more effective than relying on antibiotics. In my opinion antibiotics poses more of a risk to my baby. It's thrown around so much and now we are getting super bugs and becoming resistant to antibiotics.

A lot of hospitals in Australia are starting to wipe the routine testing for strep b because it is just so unreliable because one week you can be positive, the next negative. It also would be ridiculous to administer antibiotics routinely to cover every woman in case she is positive at the time of birth. The risk just isn't worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

Besides, not all medical professionals are reliable and trustworthy. Sometimes they get it wrong. I'd be more worried about the lack of monitoring a baby that has passed from strep b received, as its not something that they can just suddenly die of within hours with no symptoms. If a baby is showing symptoms of strep b infection, and prompt treatment is administered, its is completely treatable. It's only when symptoms aren't picked up that its a real risk.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

I knew someone who got listeria from a watermelon. I'm not going to stop eating watermelon when I'm pregnant.

My point is, that if a baby died of GBS, I'd be more worried about the fact the hospital didn't pick it up sooner to start prompt treatment. GBS infection can be treated, easily and quickly, if a baby is correctly monitored. That's enough for me. I'm not going to give myself or my baby unnecessary antibiotics in case she may get infected, just like I don't take panadol in the mornings in case I get a headache.

There's a risk with everything you do in life. A friend lost her baby after a serious car accident. Should pregnant women stop traveling in cars because of the very minimal (but higher risk thank contracting listeria or your baby contracting GBS infection) risk of serious/fatal injury to herself and/or her baby. Why is the risk of GBS/listeria more important than the risk of a fatal car accident?
    Last edited by tannedangel; 26-02-2013 at 01:11.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

When do they test for this strep B?? I have never heard of being tested for it and certainly wasn't asked about it before I had my daughter :-S

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Strep B

I had my test at like 30 weeks I think something like that far into preg.
    I came back neg but if I was positive I would follow the instructions of my ob. He said I would have needed anti b during labour. I'm pretty sure if it was dangerous to baby billions if doctors around the world wouldn't advise it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Strep B

I've tested positive with all of my pregnancys. My last one was a VBA2C. They were so worried about monitoring my scar they just forgot all about the antibiotics!
    My DD was born perfectly healthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Strep B

I didn't have it. I don't really understand why they do because as others have said, you can test positive one week and negative the next. It's completely unreliable.

Yes Group B Strep is extremely serious but it can be picked up by other symptoms and other risk factors and ABs administered when baby is born if required.

Not every hospital in Australia offers this test and in other countries like the UK its not done at all. That puts it into perspective for me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

tannedangel  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Strep B

I tested positive with my second, my waters broke and I didn't progress so was induced. If antibiotics can help even that tiniest amount I wouldn't say no. I rarely take antibiotics, in fact before having my ds2 I can't remember the last time I took them, I think it was over 10 years ago but regardless if a doctor thinks it might help even that little bit im going to take them, end of story.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well my hospital doesn't test from what I know :-S

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My hospital didn't test with my first baby either.