+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Strep B

Who did/ didn't have strep B test ?
    I find it hard cos I could have it now and not in 2 days or test negative now but then have it at birth?!

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

Antibiotics during labour is pointless, and the actual risk to bub is extremely low. The best thing to do is monitor baby for 48 hours after birth for symptoms, which they do anyway.
    Antibiotics can also affect the baby's natural gut bacteria, which can lower their immune system.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

I did with both my pregnancies and both times came back positive. First pregnancy I was induced due to my waters breaking and positive for strep b, I ended up having an emergency c-section (which was due to ds having a knot in his cord and going into distress). Second pregnancy I was trying for vbac which unfortunately didn't happen due to my blood pressure.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

I had it in my second pregnancy and had antibiotics during labour which was no big deal at all. There was no way in the world that I wasn't going to have the antibiotics. Just a few weeks before I had my son, I read in a parenting magazine about a woman losing her baby because of the Strep B infection. Refusing the antibiotics would be playing Russian Roulette with my baby's life in my opinion and certainly not something I was prepared to do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

I had it with my second, IV drip during labour only need to worry if your waters break, you need to go straight to hospital tater then wait for labour to begin there after.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Strep B

If you do the research, you will find studies that have shown that women who have had antibiotics during labour still passed on Strep B to their baby, so having the antibiotics doesn't guarantee that it won't be passed on. From memory, the death rate from Strep B was higher (or the same as) from those who were administered antibiotics than those who weren't.
    Last edited by tannedangel; 25-02-2013 at 21:50.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Strep B

Mine came back positive and I had antibiotics through a drip during labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had Group B Strep and thank all my guardian angels that my fill-in obs was diligent enough to chase around at 2am for the missing results of my swab, and on finding out that I had Group B Strep rushed to give both me and my baby antibiotics during labour and I now have a healthy five year old boy as a result. I have a friend who lost her baby girl a week after she was born to Group B Strep and it was one of the greatest tragedies I have ever witnessed. I have no doubt the antibiotics saved my little boy's life (he was premature as well - no way he would have survived a Group B Strep infection).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tryingfortwo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am currently in the process of making this decision so I understand your dilemma OP. It isnt all cut and dried since antibiotics can weaken the newborn's system an make them more suceptible to drug resistant bugs which is scary all on its own. It is also interesting that not all hospitals choose to routinely test for this. The UK also does not routinely test for this, rather they choose to judge it by risk factors present. I am currently just doing a lot of research as it is such a complex decision.