+ Reply to Thread
    My place...
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A Q about renting- opinions please

So a bit of background... I rent a 2br unit built in 1984; original owner passed away in the unit & left it to her only child. Ever since it's been a renter. I am only the 2nd tenant and last one was here more than 10 years. I've been here 2 years. Since there has never been a mortgage on the property the rent is fairly cheap ($260 a week). Identical neighbouring units rent for $310 a week.

Anyway the unit is in original condition- by this I mean original bathroom carpets stove has never been repainted etc.

So my question is it reasonable to expect repairs be done such as regrouting tiles where there is next to no grout left; replacing light fittings that blow bulbs once a fortnight; patching holes in the ceiling that have been there prior to moving in? Every time I have a 3 monthly inspection I make these requests to which I am told 'the owner has approved that repair I don't know why it hasn't been done yet'. I have 6 months to go on my lease and given its considered fairly 'cheap' rent is it reasonable to put up with no grout in tiled areas (in turn mould problems) holes in the roof and having to buy 6 new light bulbs every month?

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'd be on to the real estate about it and tell them if you don't see action you'll go to the tenancy tribunal.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (25-02-2013),MummysYellowCar  (25-02-2013)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Exactly what is said above. I can sympathise we have repairs that have needed doing for 3 years but getting it all done is like getting blood out of a stone.

Sent from my Unicorn.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LifeInShadesOfGrey For This Useful Post:

MummysYellowCar  (25-02-2013)