+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Christening question.

DH is catholic grew up going to private schools, he doesn't practice. My mum is also a non practising catholic my dad is not. When my brother and I were born my parents decided that they did not want to force any religion on us allowing us to choose our own faith.
    I said to DH when we were married that when we had children if he wanted them to become catholic I would have no objection I just don't want to get married in a church.
    Well we now have 2 beautiful little girls so the decision to christen them or not is upon us. we both agree that we are swaying towards private education and it helps.
    anyway I have absolutely no idea how I go about it, do I just ring church's? I don't want to sound silly. Is there certain things I need to know/do? Should I consider being christened myself?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I thought both parents had to be christened in order for their child to be christened.
    I could be wrong though.

If u know what church u want to hold the ceremony at, give them a buzz and the secretary should help you.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You can ring the church and they will inform you of what needs to be done and what you need to know.
    I've had our 4 girls christened, my DH and I are both christened but only one parent had to be. When choosing their godparents at least one of them had to be christened also.
    The church we used we only had to go to an information evening to pick a date, time and speak to the priest but a lot of churches won't let you have a date until you have attended church a few times.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BabyG4 For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by winterbaby View Post
    DH is catholic grew up going to private schools, he doesn't practice. My mum is also a non practising catholic my dad is not. When my brother and I were born my parents decided that they did not want to force any religion on us allowing us to choose our own faith.
    I said to DH when we were married that when we had children if he wanted them to become catholic I would have no objection I just don't want to get married in a church.
    Well we now have 2 beautiful little girls so the decision to christen them or not is upon us. we both agree that we are swaying towards private education and it helps.
    anyway I have absolutely no idea how I go about it, do I just ring church's? I don't want to sound silly. Is there certain things I need to know/do? Should I consider being christened myself?
    Being a Christian, I wouldn't christen or baptise my child unless myself or her father had strong beliefs toward the religion.

It is absolutely possible to baptise or christen a child without being a Christian or Catholic yourself, but morally, I don't agree with it. I am looking at baptising my child, she's 2.5, and I'm not sure I'm able to given that I'm going to have to ask her father permission, morally. But I wouldn't introduce or "give" my religion to my child that I wasn't willing to raise them in. I bring my daughter to Church and while she's a bit young to understand it, she loves it. Yes I want her to go to a private school but that also has a lot to do with my own belief's.

Think hard about the decision. Once you have christened your child as a Christian or Catholic, that decision can't be unmade. Yes, it may not be followed, but its something you'll live with.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lucymoo View Post
    Being a Christian, I wouldn't christen or baptise my child unless myself or her father had strong beliefs toward the religion.

It is absolutely possible to baptise or christen a child without being a Christian or Catholic yourself, but morally, I don't agree with it. I am looking at baptising my child, she's 2.5, and I'm not sure I'm able to given that I'm going to have to ask her father permission, morally. But I wouldn't introduce or "give" my religion to my child that I wasn't willing to raise them in. I bring my daughter to Church and while she's a bit young to understand it, she loves it. Yes I want her to go to a private school but that also has a lot to do with my own belief's.

Think hard about the decision. Once you have christened your child as a Christian or Catholic, that decision can't be unmade. Yes, it may not be followed, but its something you'll live with.
    Thank you for reading my post and for your reply.... However I wasn't asking permission I was simply asking how I go about it. I also mentioned whether it was something I should also consider myself doing. So "morally" I have no objection.
    I have thought hard about our decision hence the reason dd1 is not currently baptised. I am sorry but your post had nothing relevant to offer except make me feel I have no morals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    For most private schools your kids don't have to be christened, they take anyone who pays the fees!
    Catholic schools however give preference to Catholics ( obviously!) but they do take a small percentage of non catholic kids, maybe work out which school you will send them to first so you may not even need to get them done?

My SIL was thinking of getting her daughter baptized as she wants her to go to the local catholic school ( similar to you she is not catholic but her DH is) She just approached the local catholic church and the priest said its fine that she is not catholic and as long as 1 g-dparent is catholic and that they have to attend church for a certain amount of weeks and bring the child back to be confirmed etc

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

winterbaby  (12-03-2013)