+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In general I'd always say thank you as soon as I received a gift, however, I must admit that when DD was born we were given so many gifts and were so busy with a new baby that I didn't send out thank yours until she was over two months old. We ended up sending individualized cards with a picture of DD using/wearing/with the gift that the person had given. I personally wouldn't be offended if a friend with a newborn took a while or didn't get around to thanking me for a gift

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Do u always say thank u for gifts even if..

Yes always! its very rude not to. Perhaps send her a text just checking if she got it? I've done that before. I need to be thanked lol

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    It takes 5 seconds to send a thank you text. So even if the baby was 3 days old, I just can't see how you or your partner wouldn't have the spare time!?
    I had a difficult baby that screamed and never slept but I made sure I had a second to thank people as gifts arrived. If I was busy I asked DH to do it quickly. Easy.
    So if you got a call/text 2/3 weeks after you had sent a gift saying "thank you so much for your beautiful gift, it is just lovely. I'm so sorry I haven't thanked you sooner but things have been pretty hectic around here with our newborn and I have been quite unwell. Thanks so much again and we can't wait to see you when we're feeling a bit better"

Would you think that was rude? I'm honestly curious. This is what I did, and personally I don't think that it is rude.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I would at least text to say that I'd received it and thank them; I know if I don't hear from someone I've posted to I get worried that it didn't arrive!

In addition, if it's something like a baby gift I send a thank you card or note as well, although this might be a few weeks down the track.

OP, maybe they're sending thank you notes in bulk once they've received all their gifts and have time to sit down and do the whole lot? I'd wait and see before taking offense
    Last edited by lambjam; 24-02-2013 at 18:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Maybe she is going to write thank tI cards and hasn't got around to it yet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by GreenMama View Post
    So if you got a call/text 2/3 weeks after you had sent a gift saying "thank you so much for your beautiful gift, it is just lovely. I'm so sorry I haven't thanked you sooner but things have been pretty hectic around here with our newborn and I have been quite unwell. Thanks so much again and we can't wait to see you when we're feeling a bit better"

Would you think that was rude? I'm honestly curious. This is what I did, and personally I don't think that it is rude.
    No of course not!! Tbh if I didn't get a text for a few weeks+ I wouldn't be upset. I would text to make sure they received it though because I know how easy things can get lost in the mail.
    I couldn't wait that long to do it though because I honestly think it would only take a few seconds to say a quick "thanks, I got your gift, will get I touch properly when the crazy dies down"

I have different morals and standards for myself, I let other people get away with a lot more then I would myself . If it was a few weeks with no contact I would think it was rude.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I don't buy the whole 'caught up with a newborn' thing though, not now that everyone seems to have a mobile phone on them 24/7. My first birth almost killed me, very traumatic and I was very sick. We still managed to send a quick thank you text as presents arrived, and then proper thank you cards a couple of months later. I spent so much time just sitting, feeding baby that it wasn't hard to send text messages - though a lot of the time I rang people too. OP, I think some people just don't think to do it, hopefully they don't do it on purpose, but really don't see it as a priority.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, I always say thank you...

except when my first was born and I had pnd and was having major difficulty struggling through each day. I could barely organise myself to eat and sleep let alone give people the thank you they deserved for gifts. I was a ball of sleep deprived anxiety and depression and proper etiquette went out the window. I withdrew from everyone, friends and family (not that any lived nearby). I still feel guilt to this day about how inadequate I was when DD was born.

So it may be that she is thoughtless and rude, or she may be overwhelmed and struggling. Maybe a friendly call or text to see how she's going and if she got it will make it clearer.

I can understand feeling hurt though. You put time, money and thought in and it can feel a bit like rejection to have that ignored.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Mulva  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I also think in this day and age a quick thank you to acknowledge that you have received the gift is common courtesy.

I think receiving thank you cards is lovely, but I am never organised enough to do them myself, when I receive a posted gift I take a pic with the kids happy little faces opening the package and send it with my thank you text. Now that DD is older we do a little video clip of her saying thanks. It takes less then a minute and people feel appreciated.