+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    By 6 months most bubs don't physically need night feeds.
    I disagree. Some bubs dont even start solids till well past six months. And to ask a 6mth old to go 12hrs without food or water is not right IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    All babies are different - it is very normal for babies to need/want a night feed well into toddlerhood. I let my DD and DS lead the way, they were very different babies but my DD still wanted night feeds at 18 months. She has only just started sleeping through the night now (occasionally) at 2 years old.
    I agree. All babies are different. My almost 9mth old still needs her 3-4am feed.

Most paraphenalia I have read have referenced the majority of bubs do not physically need night feeds from 6 months onwards. Many babies that night feed do so out of habit, some for medical reasons. It doesn't mean they are bad bubs.

By stating that it isn't the norm for 6month+ babies to sleep through..... I think that is also adding to false expectations. Parents need to know that in many cases night wakenings in older bubs are preventable if they have the right support and techniques. Misleading them on this could lead to them giving up too early and not fully exploring the options that may give bubba and them a full nights sleep.
    Yes - But those 'paraphenalia' are based in US/UK/Aus??? where babies are often sleeping away from mothers by themselves??? where there is an unnatural force towards parents 'sleep training' their children??? In most other parts of the world its normal for babies to feed overnight. Its considered good for their development and all part/parcel of being a parent.

Just extrapolating from your "night wakenings in older bubs are preventable if they have the right support and techniques".

my DD2 is almost 9mths old and might use 1-2 nappies a day and that often includes the overnight one. Just cos she is almost TT doesnt mean I can tell everyone that their babies are capable of being TT at this age if they have the "right support and techniques". In fact just cos nappy use till 2-3yrs old in AUS/UK/US is considered normal does not mean that alll babies need to be in them till then. Its dependent on baby and parent and environment.

So for your bub its abnormal for them to wake up overnight after 6mths... and for my children - its normal for them to wake overnight till 12mths ish and abnormal for them to be in a nappy after 2yrs old.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (28-02-2013),JustUs3  (01-03-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Hi OP,

The biggest lie I was told was that my DS would be sleeping through by six months. At seven months he was still waking 3-4 times a night. I was struggling, I thought I was a failure and something was wrong with him.

But you know what? All the babies in my mother's group were the same. None were sleeping through. My friend's babies weren't sleeping through either. It's like a big secret that you don't learn about until it happens to you - but it's normal for our babies to still be waking overnight.

We ended up at sleep school when DS was 11 months and it was only then that he started sleeping through - 10.30-6.30. Since then we probably get 3 nights a week of 7-6 and 4 where he wakes at 10.30 or later for a feed.

DS was only breastfed until 15 months, and now is having a bottle of cow's milk before bed and then a little bit of boob.

I know it's hard, the sleep deprivation is what I have struggled with the most. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone, it's more common than you think, and you will get there. Eventually!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I disagree. Some bubs dont even start solids till well past six months. And to ask a 6mth old to go 12hrs without food or water is not right IMO.

I agree. All babies are different. My almost 9mth old still needs her 3-4am feed.

Yes - But those 'paraphenalia' are based in US/UK/Aus??? where babies are often sleeping away from mothers by themselves??? where there is an unnatural force towards parents 'sleep training' their children??? In most other parts of the world its normal for babies to feed overnight. Its considered good for their development and all part/parcel of being a parent.

Just extrapolating from your "night wakenings in older bubs are preventable if they have the right support and techniques".

my DD2 is almost 9mths old and might use 1-2 nappies a day and that often includes the overnight one. Just cos she is almost TT doesnt mean I can tell everyone that their babies are capable of being TT at this age if they have the "right support and techniques". In fact just cos nappy use till 2-3yrs old in AUS/UK/US is considered normal does not mean that alll babies need to be in them till then. Its dependent on baby and parent and environment.

So for your bub its abnormal for them to wake up overnight after 6mths... and for my children - its normal for them to wake overnight till 12mths ish and abnormal for them to be in a nappy after 2yrs old.
    We might just have to agree to disagree then. I I think if an older bub (9 months+) is having multiple night wakenings it's 75%? due to techniques and strategies the parents are using being counter productive to sleeping through. You don't have to agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree that you should at least be able to drop the midnight feed by now.

Have you tried resettling and not offering milk? If so I would def reduce the amounts you offer. I started with 120ml and then 60ml and then nothing.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We might just have to agree to disagree then. I I think if an older bub (9 months+) is having multiple night wakenings it's 75%? due to techniques and strategies the parents are using being counter productive to sleeping through. You don't have to agree.
    thats fine -

I think that an older bub 12mths + who has more than 1-2 accidents a day is 75% due to techniques and strategies the parents are using being counter productive to toileting.

Can you understand how blanket statements like that can cause misgivings?

FTR - I personally do not care about other people's toileting of their children... I just toilet my kids early.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like Vicpark, I have come across reading that once babies start solids at 6 months, they do not require night feeds. And I also read it here :

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ml/context/611

But having said that, every baby is different. Even when babies start solids at 6 months, the variety of food that they are taking is still very limited, so I think some will just wake up hungry (or thirsty?)

Then there are differences in parenting. I do agree that some parenting style can cause babies to associate feeding (or dummy) with sleeping and create bad sleep associations leading to frequent night wakings.

And I definitely agree that most babies will wake at night at this age. I am another one who says that it is a lie that babies can sleep through at such young age. Just because my friend's baby is sleeping through, it doesnt mean mine is! So it can certainly be a false expectation. My DH definitely has this false expectation from the beginning!!! And some babies may sleep through at certain months and then start having frequent wakings at another certain months down the road, due to development milestones or sleep pattern changes.

Only OP can determine if this is true or not because you know your baby best.

IMO, I think your baby is doing pretty good going to bed at 7pm, a feed at midnight and at 5am and sleeping till 7am.

You may want to calculate the amount of formula he is taking in 24 hours to see if that is sufficient amount for him before deciding if you are going to phase out his night feeds :

http://raisingchildren.net.au/articl...ml/context/231

I find this site very informative :

http://www.troublesometots.com/what-...-night-part-i/