+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Smile Student midwife - Logan Hospital or homebirth in Brisbane

I'd like to say a huge thank you to all the lovely ladies who contacted me. I now have a (very) full schedule for this year. If you are birthing at Logan Hospital and would like a student midwife, please contact me and I can pass your details on to another student. Alternatively, please visit this page to sign up for the program.

Hello, and congratulations on this wonderful, exciting (and probably a little bit scary) time in your life.

My name is Tobie-Jane. I'm 33 years old and a mother of four beautiful "babies" (my youngest is five and started Prep this year, but they're all still my babies). I am also a student midwife at Griffith University. As part of our program we have the opportunity to follow twenty women through their pregnancy, birth and the postnatal period until their baby is six weeks old. These are called Continuity of Care experiences. One of the major benefits is to allow us to experience the journey to becoming a mother from the woman's perspective, by getting to know the woman and her family and having the chance to discuss her thoughts, feelings, fears and joys.

If you will be birthing your baby at Logan Hospital, or your are planning a homebirth with a private midwife in the greater Brisbane area, you are 35 weeks pregnant or less, and you would like to consider having a student midwife follow your journey then I would love to hear from you. As your student midwife I will attend your antenatal appointments, you would call me once you go into labour and I will attend while you birth your baby, and I would then visit you and your baby after the birth, including the six week check up. There is no cost, participation is entirely voluntary and you can change your mind at any time with no consequences to your maternity care.

Obviously the experience is very valuable for me as a student, however there are also benefits for women who invite a student midwife to follow them through their pregnancy and birth. Women who participate in this program often report that having a student midwife is a great experience and that having a friendly, familiar face during a time which can be filled with so much uncertainty is a wonderful thing. In fact, some women enjoy the experience so much that they call and request the same student for subsequent pregnancies. Research also shows that women who receive continuity of care from a known care provider, even if that's a student, have much better outcomes including lower rates of intervention, reporting greater satisfaction with the birth...and even shorter labours!

If you have any questions or would like to discuss having me as your student midwife, then please email studentmidwife@iinet.net.au and I will be in touch. Thank you.
    Last edited by BrisStudentMidwife; 07-04-2013 at 17:35.