+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How involved was your DH in choosing baby names?

DH picked or sons name. I have a girls name I love so when we found out I was pregnant we agreed if it was a girl then we'd use that and if it was a boy then DH could pick a name. Well, we had a boy and thankfully I liked the name he chose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There was no boys names I lovedand weren't too common, except one! I raced home from work and said '<name>' and he said 'I like it'. And that was it. It was just after my 19 week scan where we found out the gender.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DD1's name is all DP's decision he loved it, and was constantly talking about it all through our pregnancy. I had a name I really loved too, but once DD was born on DP's birthday there was no doubting his name was her's - plus my name TOTALLY didn't suit her.
    With DD2 I found her name near the end of our pregnancy and we both loved it. We never thought we would name a baby of ours before we met them at birth but her name just felt right

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dh was very involved in choosing our boys names.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Very involved. We ran names between each other and any that got an instant nose wrinkle were canned.
    Eventually we stumbled on names that we both really liked .

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: How involved was your DH in choosing baby names?

Quote Originally Posted by ChickyBee View Post
    Very involved. We discussed, debated and made a joint decision on all three of the kids names. We both had names we preferred, but used ones we both liked even if they weren't our first choices.
    This exactly with an emphasis on the word "debated"!!

Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We've had a boys name picked for years, with a couple of minor tweaks. Dp hasn't liked anything on my shortlist of girls names or offers any suggestions, I think he might be putting out a lot of positive energy for the monster to be a boy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolakitty View Post
    With my DD, once I found out she was a girl I knew what her name was going to be. Luckily DH liked it too so there was no argument.

Now I'm pregnant with DS (due in June) and I've asked dh a couple times to make suggestions for names. He just gives me nothing.
    He's not interested in sitting down and looking in a names book or anything. But he doesn't like the couple if names I've suggested.

So I've told him id like him to be involved in the naming process and would love to hear of any names he comes up with.
    So far, nothing :-/
    I'm thinking if he doesn't ever suggest anything I'm naming him what I want, regardless of if he likes the name.
    There's still plenty of time......at the beginning my DH would come up with stupid silly names (because he's a clown!) whenever I would ask his opinion....however as we got closer to the due date we had an unscheduled, serious discussion (so rare in my house!) and quite weirdly we both came up with the same name. I think men work very differently and fatherhood doesn't really hit them until it's closer to the D-date?? Also, I know for us, before we seriously discussed names, my friends kept saying, "whatever you do, don't use this name, it's awful, etc etc), so maybe he wants to keep it special. I'm not sure how it was with your daughter, but maybe he doesn't want to pick the name too early (I think blokes have a different definition of "early" lol) so the "magic" isn't used up iykwim?? We've decided not to tell a soul of what name we've picked, just so others don't pick it apart and "unspecial it". I think you will find that your DH has thought of names but maybe at this point hasn't shared...maybe he is unsure if you will like them? Keep your maybe list and he might surprise you when the time comes, with some awesome names, even if it's after bub is born....men work so differently to us, I really feel they are truly from Mars!!

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

DDs name was his suggestion. I had names I liked and he had ones he liked and we didn't agree on any.

But then he said DDs name and it grew on me and when she was born we chose it.

Sent from my Unicorn.

Thanks
    Reviews

I had a list of about 30 names. DH went through and narrowed it down to 3. We both agreed from there. However about 4 weeks before I was due I decided I didn't like that name or any of the top 3. I gave DH complete control (within reason) and he named our son Logan