+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Using non-family middle names - worried about offending family

I have always thought that middle names are lovely when they are 'family' names.

We're having a boy and my dad hasn't said anything, but I think that he would love it if we used his name for the middle name. However, much as I love my dad, I actually don't like his name! Neither does DH.

Should we choose a random name we like, that goes well together, or choose my dad's name just for sentimental reasons?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

How about using your dad's middle name?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would go with the name you like.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    How about using your dad's middle name?
    Yes this, if you like it better.

In saying that. DS1 has my Dad's name - it's ugly and old fashioned, but I like sentimental middle names too. It's barely used in daily life anyway so I don't think that matters too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like middle names that have meaning too but would draw the line at using it if I didn't like the name. Thankfully my SIL's middle name is a name that I love and would have wanted anyway, so easy choice there. DD2 has my grandmothers name as her middle name and it is a lovely classic old fashioned name, so again easy choice. I adore my Mum more than anything but no chance we would have used her name because its kind of ugly. If we had of suggested using it she would have said "no way".

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Using non-family middle names - worried about offending family

We will choose a none family related names for a girl unless its a boy then we hsve dps name as middle name

Thanks
    Reviews

I love middle names with meaning. All 3 of our girls have a middle name which comes from somebody in our family. I think it is special. Like a pp said could you use your dads middle name instead? We did that with 2 of our girls.

Thanks
    Reviews

My boys have family names, just something we wanted to do.

My DS1 is Hamish and well, my dad is Andrew, I didn't really want my own Hamish & Andy! My sil had already used my dads middle name so we used my maiden name as his middle name :-)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Using non-family middle names - worried about offending family

I think it's a personal choice thing, does your dad's name go with the name you have picked out for your son?

Each of the men in mine and dh's families have names that I would never consider for a first name, but they sound good with the first name we have picked out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I chose a name that I and my DF liked, not family names. I was more worried about offending the other family members we didn't name the child after. I also didn't want to give my child a oldish name. My parents did the same with me and I thought it was a good idea.