+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week

Default Feeding a newborn & toddler..

I'm due with #2 in May. DS will be about 16 months old when his brother arrives.

I am currently still breast feeding DS1. Mostly just first thing in the morning when he wakes and before he goes to bed of an evening. Sometimes he has another quick feed in the late afternoon, and on the rare occasion that he does wake overnight, I feed him then too.

Part of me was hoping he would completely wean himself before our next bub arrived, but its not looking likely. He LOVES boobie and I can't bring myself to cut him off.

I'm wondering what he is going to be like when the new baby arrives and he sees him getting fed all the time...is he going to want to get in on the action? Will he be jealous? Is there any way I can prepare him (I'm thinking no as he's not quite of an age to even understand that there is a new baby coming)?

Would love to hear from those who have (or are) tandem feeding and how it works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:

Nobody??

Bumping for the day crowd...

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry I don't have experience with that myself, but just wanted to say there is a while between now and May - things do change monthly with toddlers let alone in 3 months.

My friends daughter (very close to 2y.o) became disinterested in breast feeding a month before bub #2 came because it was only colostrum being produced - she never thought she would being able to wean #1. #1 doesn't feed at all anymore and doesn't mind when #2 does.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to newmummy2010 For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

One more bump...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Feeding a newborn & toddler..

Hi summastarlet!

My ds was the same as yours. He loves his boobie and while I tried weaning before ds2 was born it just didn't happen and I think it would have made it harder to accept his new bother if I did. So now I'm feeding both of them 22mths and 8 weeks.

So far I've been very lucky with not having any jealousy issues. My nephew was born 4 months before ds2 so I'm not sure if seeing him feeding helped prepare him or not. I basically give them a side each (my right side has always produced more milk so ds2 had that one). It's at the stage now that ds1 won't even try having his brothers side even when offered it.I don't like the feeling of them feeding at the same time however occasionally let them so ds1 doesn't get jealous. I think if you include him as much as you can and even get a doll for him before hand might help. Just be prepared your son might want to start feeding more often. My son went from 1 a day too all day and night again! But don't worry about supply, or what I got told all the time about the older taking the newborns milk, because your body knows what it's doing and your toddler will also be helping to boost your supply and you may find you have too much. It's also very helpful in the first few days when your milk comes in and it's very uncomfortable because your toddler can help drain them. Also be prepared that your son may self wean but if he's like my son he won't care at all by the changes in the milk. I had lots of issues, with ds1 getting too much foremilk but I've never had any issues like that with ds2.

Most importantly don't listen to any negative comments. I got it from alot of people and even doctors kept telling me I had to wean. The best people to speak to are your midwives (some of mine were lactation consultants) and they will day just keep doing as your doing now and your body will take care of everything. It's really lovely in the end seeing them holding hands and ds1 stroking his brother while feeding.

If you ever have any questions feel free to pm me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

I hope this all makes sense as I'm on my phone so typing is a little hard

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:

Thank you Lolly Dolly! Great to read about your experiences, and gives me some food for thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks Summa for starting this thread. DS is 15 months old and very attached to his boobie. We've still got ages before he has to share and I don't know if I will push him to wean or not. I am finding that I'm getting a lot of negativity from the GP, friends and family at the moment (but not from my wonderful DH!) and that is hard.

Thanks
    Reviews

Don't listen to any negativity from anyone! I had it coming from everywhere and I'm so glad I didn't listen. It's a lovely bonding time with you and your children. I was surprised how many gps were against. It's definitely hard at first but just like with any new breastfeeding relationship when it all comes together it's great!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LollyDolly For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I had my daughter who is now nearly 14 I was still feeding my son who was 22 months. He wanted it more at first. But then the novelty I think of feeding a lot went away. He eventually self weaned. I found when my supply hit that because I had an extra mouth it took a lot of the pain away. I'm now 24 w with number 4 and feeding my toddler. He only feeds 1-2 times a day.
    I will try tomorrow to elaborate. Sorry only found this thread and I should be asleep.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Msbecb For This Useful Post:

summastarlet  (07-03-2013)