+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StellarMaris View Post
    Have you tried Ilona Andrews? Awesome books in my opinion that are in a somewhat similar urban fantasy style to those by charlaine Harris. I started off really liking Charlaine's style of writing but got a little tired of all the blokes lining up desperate to boink sookie (two vampires, her boss, her ex boyfriend, the were cougar, the were wolf and the were tiger, and they are only the ones that spring to mind from the first half a dozen books)

Ilona Andrews has done 2 series. The Edge series, the first book of which is called On the Edge and is a complete story so u don't need to read the rest if u don't like it. It's electronically available. The other series starts with Magic Bites and is also awesome if you like urban fantasy.

i really like her style and her female protagonists have backbone that doesn't turn to mush the first time they come into contact with an 'alpha male'!

January - all the Jeaniene frost books in the night huntress series. Pretty good.

February - i read magician by Raymond e fiest (been meaning to do it for years).
    i have also read Unatural issue, Redoubt and Beauty and the Werewolf by Mercedes Lackey. Pretty good for light reads from the library but I wouldn't buy them. Re-read of the no cry sleep solution (to get my head in the game for the next one!)

um... Probably a few others in the Xmas holidays when I got my amazon gift cards but I can't think what they were.
    If you're going to read Mercedes Lackey her best books are the first ones she ever wrote about the Valdemar world. It starts with the Heralds of Valdemar trilogy- arrows of the queen, Arrows flight and arrows fall, then the Last Herald Mage trilogy which is my fav and they are- Magics Pawn, Magics promise and Magics price. Love love love!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol just went and bought those books to re read now lol. Book Depository have them for 7.50 each with free delivery

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Disbride View Post
    Rereading - it's my favourite series, so I've read them several times.
    Me too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Me too!
    Me also!!! So excited for the new book!

I love reading but don't get as much time as I used to.

Jan: George R.R Martin: Game of Thrones series, can't wait for the next one now.

Feb: David Mitchell: Cloud Atlas, Cormac McCarthy: No Country for Old Men.

Up next: Thomas Hardy: Far from the Madding Crowd, Carolyn Leach-Paholski: The Grasshopper Shoe.

Trying really hard to vary the genres that I read this year so very open to suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpmakes2 View Post
    One of my fab books ever is a stand alone called the Redemption of Althalus by David Eddings. It's a little bit Sci-fi, little bit action lots of wit and humor but very tongue in cheek word play not outright humor. It looks huge but is well worth the read
    I love David Eddings. Have you read the Belgariad etc...? I really want to re-read them (again), but I'm too busy with uni & ft work

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Funchu View Post
    I love David Eddings. Have you read the Belgariad etc...? I really want to re-read them (again), but I'm too busy with uni & ft work

David Eddings is my favorite author! I also love the redemption of althalus but the BEST books ever are the Belgariad and the Malloreon series'. Closely followed by Belgarath the sorcerer and then Polgara the sorceress :-)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugsBunny For This Useful Post:

Funchu  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It seems I have a similar taste in books to many of you.

i like David endings too though I think I prefer the belgariad to the redemption of althalus. I think partially because I'd already read the belgariad, the mallorean and the two sparhawk trilogies first and it was a bit too similar. I wasn't a fan of the more recent series he has written. I own them all.

i have read Outlander and liked it. I haven't read the rest of the series, I wasn't aware there was one so I might give that a go.

i agree that the Arrows of the Queen trilogy and last herald Mage trilogy are mercedes lackey's best novels. I also like her black swan (stand alone), the black gryphon and the first couple in the elemental masters series (serpent in shadow and Phoenix and ashes). I own all these too (I love to re-read favourite books and am a bit of a bibliophile).

i also like l. M. Montgomery who wrote anne of green gables. The blue castle and rilla of ingleside are two of my faves by her. A lot of her works are available free online from a website called the Gutenberg project (out of copyright electronic books).

I read the hunger games series and really enjoyed it.

my other favourite authors beside ilona andrews are:
    Patricia Briggs. I particularly like her Hurog series - dragon bones and dragon blood (those who like the humour in the belgariad will probably like these) and the mercy Thompson series (it starts with moon called)
    nalini singh
    juliet marillier, especially the sevenwaters series.
    garth nix (his abhorsen series) - if you like the hunger games I think this would really appeal.

I'm excited to see which other books are recommended here. I'm always on the lookout for new books to hoard!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    lol... I have a rule: If I read a book & like it, I must own it! I have soooo many books. I also have every Eddings book. Other favourites are: Raymond E Fiest, Tolkien, George RR Martin, Robert Jordan (& Brandon Sanderson... which reminds me that I need to get the last WOT book...), Terry Goodkind, Katharine Kerr, Terry Patchett, Robert Silverberg... & many more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read the 2 sparhawk series' multiple times and loved them. I think I started the Bulgariad but wasn't in the mood and put it down and just haven't attempted it again. Might give it a go when I go up to my parents for Easter lol I also live the I.M Montgomery books I grew up with them and read them over and over... And over!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sherrilyn Kenyon is a great author and JR Ward.. Both write similar styles and I love JD Robb( another pen name for Nora Roberts) her In Death murder crime series is fantastic