+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both girls outgrew catnaps by 4-6mths old. DD1 by 6mths to 2x2-2.5hrs ... DD2 went thru crazy catnaps at 5-6mths and now at almost 9mths is doing solid 1.5-2.5hrs twice a day.

both have never ever every self settled. I've always had to pat bum, rub tummy or feed to sleep.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Both girls outgrew catnaps by 4-6mths old. DD1 by 6mths to 2x2-2.5hrs ... DD2 went thru crazy catnaps at 5-6mths and now at almost 9mths is doing solid 1.5-2.5hrs twice a day.

both have never ever every self settled. I've always had to pat bum, rub tummy or feed to sleep.
    Can I ask if you tried to resettle after the cat naps? I used to, but gave up because it never ever worked or worked for long. Now at 6 months, I'm waiting for a miracle! 2 x 35 min max sleeps in the day just aren't cutting it and DD is so cranky by the end of the day
    wondering when she will out grow the catnapping! Thankfully she is so tired by the night, she does get a decent sleep overnight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JlovesI View Post
    Can I ask if you tried to resettle after the cat naps? I used to, but gave up because it never ever worked or worked for long. Now at 6 months, I'm waiting for a miracle! 2 x 35 min max sleeps in the day just aren't cutting it and DD is so cranky by the end of the day
    wondering when she will out grow the catnapping! Thankfully she is so tired by the night, she does get a decent sleep overnight.
    It honestly depended on the day and if I had time... With DD1 I just went with the flow and she napped wherever and whenever she wanted to - highchair, floor, playmat, carseat, pram etc but never in her cot. I've got photos of her passing out in her bumbo. quite funny actually. but if i wanted her to go to sleep in her cot I had to feed her to sleep.

dd2 - I dont have time to resettle for longer than 5 or so min. So I instead offer more opportunities to nap. As long as dd2 gets 3-4hrs of sleep during the day I dont mind how she gets it. Till 5-6mths she used to nap in the pram/car capsule or carrier as i could easily resettle in there if I could. but if it took longer than 5-10min or if DD1 was getting rowdy then I would just call it quits.

Both girls settled into a good day routine around 4-6mths. I could then predict their naps with relative ease and then feed them to sleep then. I dont believe in self settling till 2yo ish.

now at 2.5yrs old, DD1 sleeps 2-2.5hrs during the day and 10.5-11hrs overnight. I read her her bedtime book and then rub her back/pat bum and she drifts off fairly easily. A rough night would take 20min ish.

dd2 at almost 9mths sleeps 45-80min in the morning (depending on what time she wakes) and 2-3hrs from midday. bedtime is 6.30pm-5.30/6am.

my suggestion is to take your bubba for a walk in the pram when they are tired... I find both my girls if overtired would be less likely to sleep easily and the pram is the best way for them to calm down enough to sleep. IMO your bubba is overtired = hence the short naps. depending on how old they are I would offer the opportunity to sleep 1.5-2hrs after waking. make sure they are topped up and with a clean bum, and all snuggled up.

good luck. I believe in going with the flow till 6mths ish before you can settle down to a routine... but thats cos it worked with my girls.

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Rose&Aurelia;7116410] I've got photos of her passing out in her bumbo. quite funny actually.

That would be the cutest!

You know I've never tried the feeding to sleep during the day...I've been so caught up in 3-4 hourly feeds that I actually haven't considered it. I will now! Though I do know it will have to be to more like drowsy or she'll wake the second I put her down or 5 mins later and crack it.

Well done on getting your girls into such a good routine and with such gentle methods.

Thank you for your suggestion. When I was winding DD down and offering opportunity to nap at 1.5 hrs she was going down with ease, but taking 20-30 min naps so I was told to try extending her awake time, as she wasn't tired enough. I extended to 2 hours and it worked for a few days and I was getting closer to 40 mins and then back to 30-35. And she was also going down with ease. used to walk for 1.5-2 hours just so she would have a long sleep, but now she only sleeps 25 mins max in the pram and I get upset about it being even shorter because she will then go the full two hours till the next nap.

I wish I was as relaxed as you, maybe that's our problem. I also wonder if she is just too plain uncomfortable to sleep in the day, as she has been in a Dennis brown bar brace for hip dysplasia since she was 7 weeks...she is now 25 weeks!

We are having a a 5am start to the day today. She fell asleep at 7, so I won't complain!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=JlovesI;7116627]
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I've got photos of her passing out in her bumbo. quite funny actually.

That would be the cutest!

You know I've never tried the feeding to sleep during the day...I've been so caught up in 3-4 hourly feeds that I actually haven't considered it. I will now! Though I do know it will have to be to more like drowsy or she'll wake the second I put her down or 5 mins later and crack it.

Well done on getting your girls into such a good routine and with such gentle methods.

Thank you for your suggestion. When I was winding DD down and offering opportunity to nap at 1.5 hrs she was going down with ease, but taking 20-30 min naps so I was told to try extending her awake time, as she wasn't tired enough. I extended to 2 hours and it worked for a few days and I was getting closer to 40 mins and then back to 30-35. And she was also going down with ease. used to walk for 1.5-2 hours just so she would have a long sleep, but now she only sleeps 25 mins max in the pram and I get upset about it being even shorter because she will then go the full two hours till the next nap.

I wish I was as relaxed as you, maybe that's our problem. I also wonder if she is just too plain uncomfortable to sleep in the day, as she has been in a Dennis brown bar brace for hip dysplasia since she was 7 weeks...she is now 25 weeks!

We are having a a 5am start to the day today. She fell asleep at 7, so I won't complain!
    lol - I think being relaxed comes with the second and subsequent child... Look - some kids are just catnappers... as long as they are getting their hours of sleep in a day - how and where is irrelevant.

Your daughter might just be very uncomfy and thats why she catnaps... deep breath - enjoy these moments with your little girl.

5am starts... its a regular appearance in our household too

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well you wouldn't believe it, but she just slept 1 hr 40 from 7am. I know it's because she 'only' had 10 hours overnight. Have you seen Dr Richard Ferbers total sleep times for babies? No, I am not a fan of his methods, but he suggests that if a baby has a large chunk of sleep overnight then they are getting all the sleep they need. And total sleep was about 12-13 hours for a 6 month old. Not sure I believe it, but DD certainly seems to fit this mould. Only when she doesn't get all her sleep at night, does she have a longer day sleep!

Thanks
    Reviews
    [QUOTE=Rose&Aurelia;7116731]
    Quote Originally Posted by JlovesI View Post

lol - I think being relaxed comes with the second and subsequent child... Look - some kids are just catnappers... as long as they are getting their hours of sleep in a day - how and where is irrelevant.

Your daughter might just be very uncomfy and thats why she catnaps... deep breath - enjoy these moments with your little girl.

5am starts... its a regular appearance in our household too
    Oops just saw this after my other post. I agree, next time I will know better and be much more relaxed! Maybe not entirely, as it's my nature but a lot more than I am currently and have been!

Thanks, I've taken a deep breath and working on letting go hehe

And I'm surprised as to how dark 5am in Melb is all of a sudden! The birds only really started chirping when we were on our way back to bed at 7!