+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Catnapping and self-settling

So 6 week old DD is pretty close to self-settling. I put her in her bassinet awake and rock her tummy till she is drowsy then leave her to fall asleep on her own.

But about 75% of the time she catnaps. I can resettle her maybe 20% of the time and I don't really have time to do this with DS to look after.

I thought catnapping was caused by not self-settling? Anyone had a catnapper who could self-settle? Does catnapping necessarily mean the four month sleep regression is inevitable?

Btw she is MISERABLE after these catnaps and clearly needs more sleep. I am quite confident she's not hungry but it's possible wind/poos are waking her up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son self settles and catnaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

How old is he? How's his night sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews

My DS was able to self settle early on I think from memory around 4 weeks but he was a cat napper and miserable upon waking after 30mins, I found turning his mobile on right when he was due to wake was enough to help him through to the next sleep cycle it took about 2-3 weeks of doing this and he started sleeping through it on his own.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Catnapping and self-settling

No real advice, I'm in the same situation. DS2 can be put down awake with white noise and fall asleep by himself but still wakes after 45 minutes most of the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi duckgoose, DS is 8 months now. His catnaps improved slowly as he got older, but even now he has one proper nap and one catnap everyday. His night sleeps have also got much better since he was 6 months old. I think that it just took his body a bit longer (or much longer lol) to learn how to sleep better, unfortunately

But all babies are different. It sounds like you are doing everything perfectly with your newborn!! Maybe she just needs a bit extra time!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    a baby's sleep cycle is around 40 mins... and some babies will only sleep for one cycle during the day. An adults sleep cycle is around 80 mins and they gradually grow to that length of time as they grow up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    catnapper here. ds is 8 weeks, needs comfort feed to fall asleep. it's early days, im relaxing about it and just going with it cos i know he will improve as he gets older and a routine sets in.

Thanks
    Reviews

My DD (9 months) mostly does long sleeps during the day but we still get the odd catnap. She's always been a happy catnapper and sleeps pretty well overnight. She also self settles 90% of the time ( bar when she's teething/sick)

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd could self settle and catnapped till she was 6months old. She would sleep for 38mins exactly. I would be able to resettle most of the time. It's hard work and very tiring. Around 6 months she just stopped and started having longer sleeps. When she catnapped I would do one sleep (lunch sleep) in a swing to get a long sleep out of her, this worked a treat and allowed me to have much needed rest too. She has reflux so unsure if this was a contributing cause to her catnapping. It will get better