+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I honestly cannot believe someone would spend so much money on an 11 year old for their birthday! I do not mean to offend anyone that is in a financial position to be able to spend that sort of amount, but how is that meant to teach kids anything about the value of money?

When I was growing up, even as a teenager, I knew that my parents budget was around $50 for a birthday and $100 for xmas presents - so I knew what was reasonable to ask for when it came to gifts. That was pretty average amongst my group of peers, and I wouldn't have said that any families I knew were poor. I'm under 30 too and I do not believe prices have inflated that much that kids could reasonably expect to have $200 given to them for a present at that age.

My DH spends approximately $100 each for birthdays for his two sons, but they are 16 & 18, so I think that's reasonable - anything more in my opinion is excessive and wasteful.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine, but please consider for the kid's sake, just how many hours they would have to work at an average teen job (e.g. McDonalds or Woolworths) to earn that sort of money? If it's more than they could SAVE in a month (after paying for personal expenses like a mobile phone, public transport, sports fees, school lunches, etc) then they are more likely to run into credit issues and massive debt in the future because they have a skewed sense of monetary value. If you must give such large amounts of money, as a PP said - encourage mandatory saving of most of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We send birthday money to our nieces who live interstate. They get $10 per year of age, so at 11 they get $110. On special b'days like 13 and sweet 16 they will get a personal gift rather than just money. My SIL banks most of the cash and the birthday girl gets $50 max to carry in her purse.

It doesn't seem excessive to me that a parent spends $200 on their own child's present, provided they can afford it of course. I don't think that getting spoiled once a year on their birthday would set the child up for a life of bad credit. It is their birthday and getting something extra-special is part of the fun & excitement.

Indulging or spoiling children all year round and buying things for no special reason, that is a different story and I think that is more likely to create a long-term problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SimpsonDesert For This Useful Post:

F&A  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it all depends on the families financial situation and the kids personality. If they are a kid who is likely to save it for something special then I would be happy to give cash. If they are a kid who is likely to waste it then I'd give a present instead.

When I was 12 I desperately wanted to buy a CD/cassette/radio player. I saved $100 and my parents gave me $100 for christmas so with my $200 I went off and bought it. I still remember getting my $1 change and being so happy and proud that I had been able to purchase it myself.