+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default gifts of money - how much for what age?

so ladies, for those who have older children.... my 11 yr old daughter's friend just got $200 from her parents for her 11th birthday. that has now set the bar for us as my daughter now thinks she should receive the same amount.... in your opinion is that too much cash to give for that age? what would be the amount u would give for that age?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: gifts of money - how much for what age?

How much do you usually spend? Base it off that. I would much rather give presents at that age.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

5galsndad  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Money from a child's parents is not something I agree with, maybe when the child is out in the real world on their own two feet it would help, but as an 11year old i think it takes the fun and joy from unwrapping a surprise..

Money from friends is ok but not from your own parents at that age.. So I don't think you should give her money....

Not only that, did you see this $200? Kids like to fabricate stories to seem cooler... So it could be that your daughter has been spun a yarn...?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Twoalready For This Useful Post:

5galsndad  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

My dd is about to turn 11 in a few weeks we are buying her a new iPod touch 5 so about $250+ I would never give her money though. i must add my dd is an only child so we can afford to spend this on her. what does an 11 year old need that much money for????

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tully78 For This Useful Post:

5galsndad  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the replies ladies! the parent told me they gave them 200 bucks so it is true. if I were to add up my daughters presents/party/movie night then it would be around the same amount too. but, I guess I don't feel comfortable with giving cash to a child (other than grandma posting a 20 dollar note in with the card). my daughter only wants money for her main present from now on but it ain't gonna happen as I know she will waste it. I think that a gift card if anything is appropriate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't be doing it tbh.

I think, instead, I'd give a voucher to somewhere I'd be happy for them to purchase from (iTunes, a certain clothing store, a book store, etc). Or I'd say, "Let's go on a shopping trip - we can make a day of trying to choose you a birthday present!"

Or, if I did hand over cash, I'd be monitoring where it was spent quite closely.

I don't really think the amount is the issue for me - it's relative to how much you have to spend and how much you'd normally spend on a birthday gift. If $200 is how much you'd spend on a gift, then that sounds like a fair amount. If you'd normally only spend $50, then I wouldn't be handing over an extra $150 just because it's cash!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I think giving ash is lazy. I enjoy going out and shopping for my kids.
    I won't be giving cash just because her friend got cash.
    I spend over $500 on my kids at birthdays, no way illness handing that over!

When she's older I might take her shopping for her birthday, but I'm not just giving her cash in a card.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd do it (on top of a thought out gift), but she would be depositing 75% of it into her bank account. That's how my hubby was brought up, and he is fantastic with money management.

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews

At that age I will still be giving gifts and what I normally spend is more than $200
    But for my dsd who is 14 I give money towards something he is normally saving for plus 1 or 2 small presents

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

For my own kids they don't get cash. We do let our oldest 8 (my step daughter) go and pick a special outfit (that I approve of course) for every birthday and Christmas- the younger kids get given clothes.... I thi k giving your kids cash is slack. If you are giving an iPod or something maybe a $20 iTunes card is appropriate for them to pick some music