+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Moving house

So we're on the move, and I'm not sure what to do about one of my cats. He's 18, blind and I thought we were going to have to put him down before Christmas. But the vet said he was in good enough condition to leave him while he was happy, but that it's only a matter of time.

FF a few months and we will be moving house after Easter. I'm not sure what to do. He has always travelled fairly well, and settles into new places after a week or so. But I'm worried it will totally stress him out. He won't have his scent trails to follow so will go back to walking into things, and I usually lock them both in the laundry for a few days until they settle down which could be hard for him as well.

If it was you, would you try to move him and see how he went? We're moving from town to acreage, so I think he would like it there, but it will be a huge adjustment for him and will be a hard move for him until he finds his way around.

On one hand, I feel he would be better off having a big sleep, but I'm worried that I'd be doing it for my "convenience" and not his welfare. But I also feel mean considering taking him as it will be a hard time for a very old cat just because I don't want to say goodbye to him. I'm so conflicted. WWYD?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Id bring him to the new house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Moving house

Give him the chance you may find he adjusts quite well and stays happy a bit longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Moving house

Id try him out. Would you consider taking him to the vet to get some anti anxiety meds to give him for the move?

I know that's what Mum's vet suggested for her 16 year told deaf kitty when they moved house. It did really help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would take him. Before you do, though, put a couple of socks on your hands (or get the kids to, if they're old enough) and spend ages stroking him and your other cat with them on - particularly around their mouths.

Then when you get to the new house, rub the socks on all the door frames at 'cat height', so that it smells familiar to him and he doesn't feel threatened. It should help ease his anxiety a little, and help him settle in a bit quicker

We move house often, and we always do this for my girl. She settles in within the day, rather than taking weeks as it used to.

Good luck, and hugs. Having pets is so hard sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Moving house

I didn't even know they had anti anxiety meds for animals! Thanks. Will definitely look into that. I had thought I'd give the vet a call and see what he thought, so will ask about them. Poor old puss. He's been my boy for a long time, though has been a bit neglected since the kids came along. I just want to do the right thing by him, but don't really know what that is.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Moving house

I'd take him. I think you would regret not giving him the chance to atleast try.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Moving house

Thanks Shoopuf, that's a fantastic idea! I'd never have thought of that either!!