+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Washing MAchines - top loader or front loader?

After 13 years our trusty old Fisher & Paykal washing machine is finally on it's last legs. I was looking at getting a bigger version of the same make - it's reasonably priced and has excellent reviews. But I am wondering about a front loader? I have never used one but the power and water saving benefits look impressive.

Anyone changed to a front loader and wished they hadn't? What do you like and dislike and about your front loader?

Who would have thought choosing a washing machine could be so hard!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Front loader for sure. Less power. Less water and way more gentle on clothes. I have had one for years and love it.

Thanks
    Reviews

We changed to a front loader about 3 years ago and I love it! I'd never go back the power and water saving qualities are good for us as I do a lot of washing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I love my front loader!
    Takes longer to wash (over an hour), but the time flys with 2 little ones or I set the timer before I go out so it's ready to hang when I return.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Front loader hands down. Love them but they do take a while to cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Washing MAchines - top loader or front loader?

When we buy our own washing machine I will be buying a front loader. I love my dad's! For now I have to use a top loader.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I love my front loader.
    It's much gentler on the clothes, more cycle choices, less water usage, less power usage.
    But a cycle takes longer. I choose the "quick wash" cycle and even that take an hour. There is a 30 minute one but I only use that for a wee small load.
    My one has a hand wash cycle too and it's sooooo gentle. No more hand washing in the laundry tub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the opposite.

I grew up in the UK, where everyone has front loaders (as washing machines are usually kept in the kitchen under benches).

When I moved to Australia we got a top loader and I much prefer it. It takes more stuff - bigger loads of towels/ sheets, etc., and you don't have to crouch down to use it. Plus you don't have to do the 'hand spin' after emptying it, to get down all the socks that get stuck to the 'ceiling' of the drum!

I haven't noticed any difference in terms of how it treats clothes. Just that it's bigger, more convenient, and faster (the top loader, that is). I wouldn't go back to a front loader now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Yes i made the change a couple of years ago and the only real benefit is that it's more compact in size- fits nicely in the laundry and a dryer sits on top.

As for energy and water savings mine front loader isn't much better than my old top loader. I think the comparisons can be misleading too. They compare warm/hot washes, yet i only ever used cold washes when i had i had a top loader- something you can't do on a lot of front loaders.

My front loader doesn't clean effectively, takes much longer cycles, can't do cold washes, extermely noisy, can't open door once you've pressed start.

Positives would be: can set timer so washing can go off at a later time and the compact size.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Top loader, hands down. We bought a front loader and its crap, can't fit big items in, it takes ages to wash, the fillter is a pita to clean and leaks water when you undo the plug to clean it. Its just crap, i much prefer my new top loader, which we had to buy because the front loader packed it in after 2yrs.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub