+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Measuring 3 weeks ahead at 35 wks

So I had a growth scan yesterday (my previous pregnancy I was always measuring large for dates and had minimal shoulder dystocia during my DD's birth) and it showed that the baby is already measuring 38w3d and weighs 3.2kg or 7lb2oz. The ultrasound lady said that at 40 weeks the baby would probably weigh something like 4.2kg/just over 9 pounds. It's head circumference measured 40w3d. And it's abdominal circ was off the charts too.

With my dd I went into spontaneous labour at 37w3d and she weighed 3.6kg (which I think is quite heavy for that many weeks). I was due to have an induction a few days after she was actually born, I was quite relieved I managed to skip the induction tbh.

My question is, has anyone else measured this much further, and is there a chance I could go into labour earlier like with my dd? Do larger babies necessarily come earlier? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lovable; 22-02-2013 at 15:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I can't help specifically but was going to share that I went into spontaneous labour with DD at 37+1 and she was 3.565kg and was long and lean with a big head. I'd not had any scans since the 20w one as my fundal height always measured spot on and there were no complications. I figured she'd have been a 4kg+ bub if I'd gone full term. Big babies are norm in my family though.

I'll be curious if you do go early again though. I always had a 'feeling' DD would come a bit early (but thought more like 1-2 weeks) and I've got that same feeling with this one.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: Measuring 3 weeks ahead at 35 wks

I'm 34+2 today and we had a growth scan at the beginning of the week. Our bub is measuring 3 weeks ahead too, however I have gd. I'm planning on a c section at around 38 weeks.

I can't comment on my other pregnancies because I didn't have growth scans with them. Dd was born at 40 weeks and a weighed 8lb 8oz and ds was born by elective c section at 38+4 and weighed 7 lb 8oz, I didn't have gd with either of them.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I measured 2 weeks ahead at 34 weeks and went on to have DD at 41 weeks. She was 4.4 kg (9pound 12 oz) and 58 cm long
    Growth scans in late pregnancy are notoriously unreliable though, I know a friend who was told she had an off the charts bub only to birth a nice 7 pounder!

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks for your replies.

It's a tricky one. My ob mentioned that he'd recommend induction at 38 weeks (just like for in the last pregnancy) if I measured large for dates again. But I feel like this time I can't rely on going into spontaneous labour like last time. I told him that i would only induce if my cervix was favourable and baby was engaged etc.

We really trust our ob but there is so much conflict when I look on the Internet. A lot of people say that induction to avoid shoulder dystocia or macrosomia is a joke and the ob's way of ensuring his schedule runs on time and is unnecessary etc.

I suppose at my appointment on Monday (I'll be 36+1) and he might be able to a cervix check to see if anything is happening or something. Sorry thinking aloud, this has been on my mind!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Most of what I have read says that induction due to size is a bad idea... BUT you did say you had a shoulder dystocia before... So I would consider it in your shoes. I don't think a cervical check at 36 weeks will serve any purpose. The day before I went into labour I was barely one com, high and firm. That can change very quickly, and the best way to avoid infection is to avoid unnecessary VEs.

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks Atropos. I didn't know I had minor shoulder dystocia issues with DD until i saw it written in my birth notes. I had an epidural and my DH said they used quite a lot of force getting her shoulders out (which I was unaware of at the time). Ob said it was quite a tight squeeze. Apart from that the delivery went well and there were no other issues/didn't need forceps or vacuum.

Thanks for advice as well on the cervix exam. I didn't know this.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lovable For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Btw that is one long baby at 58cm long!

Thanks
    Reviews

Anyone else induced to prevent shoulder dystocia?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Lovable View Post
    Btw that is one long baby at 58cm long!
    I know- I got them to check twice!