+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Can't get her to attach :(

Dd2 is 11 days old and I am having so much trouble getting her to attach!

my nipples are all grazed and I honestly cry every breast feed because it hurts so much

I spend ages rubbing my nipples over her lower lip/chin, finally get the nice wide open mouth, and quickly bring her in....straight away she pulls back so she just has a bit of nipple in her mouth. I can do this 10-15 times per feed and it makes no difference. All I'm left with is a super cranky baby who starts screaming her head off!

dd1 wasn't at all like this so I'm in desperate need of suggestions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh hon, I feel for you, it's such a hard cycle for you both .Is bub settled when you're trying to get her to attach? It sounds obvious, but if she is un-settled to begin with, she will be more resistant to attaching and also if she senses your pain and stress as well.

Have you tried rubbing some of your breastmilk onto the nipple and areola, as this can soothe as well as entice with the smell etc. Is bub making a big, 'special K' mouth when you do get her to attach? Make sure also, that when you're trying to attach her you're in a quiet room, no distractions etc.

Another option is to try different feeding positions. You could try laying bub across your lap with a pillow if that helps.

If your nipples are sore and grazed, you can try wearing nipple shields initially and then as soon as bub is on and feeding take them away.

There is also the option of having a LC watch your feeding, so that they may see how you're trying to attach etc. You said that you didn't have this problem with your other child, so perhaps it would be worth ruling out whether your bub has a tongue tie preventing her from attaching properly, as this can be quite a common problem.

I hope things get better for you both soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply!

I think I'm getting the correct big open mouth, off to google and check

i just read the hospital I went to offers a free appt with a lactation consultant in the first 8 weeks so I might give them a call and see if they can get me in next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Get yourself some lucas pawpaw cream for your nipples, I winch just reading that.

I know it hard but try and relax as much as possible. If you need too use to pillow or feed laying down so her head and her whole body is at the nipple height. Remember she doesn't have to get the whole nipple in her mouth. Just enough to get a good grip. When you detach her make sure you break the seal with your pinkie. Wiping the nipple with a little milk will help too. Some time a warm washer on your breast for a minute before try to attach her can help.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

F&A  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just an update:

saw a lactation consultant today, she had my attachment issues fixed in 2 seconds flat!

its still a bit painful when she first goes on (due to my poor nipples being grazed all over) but after that its fine! No more crying the whole time I breastfeed her!!

thanks for all the advice

7. The Following User Says Thank You to F&A For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    have you been able to replicate what the lc did at home?
    I saw one and she had to put bub on and it was painless but got home and couldn't do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    have you been able to replicate what the lc did at home?
    I saw one and she had to put bub on and it was painless but got home and couldn't do it.
    Only just saw your reply sorry! Most of the time it's fine, but sometimes it will take a few goes to get it pain free. I did her some grazing again but nothing too bad. My issue was pretty easy, I was just holding dd wrong and brining my nipple to her instead of her to my nipple.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My last baby was so hard to attach and the only thing that worked for me was the scissor hold - compressing just above the nipple between two fingers so its a shorter length for baby to grab on to. It will get easier!!!