+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    My sister is booked for a c/s at 39w this time, after an emerg c/s last time. Her OB said if she went in to labour earlier, she would just have another 'emerg c/s'.

I was surprised (as was she) that he booked it for 39w. We always thought if elective they do it at least 10-14 days prior. Obviously not!

I had my 1st at 38 weeks (elective) so asked that they do it at 38 weeks this time.

Ob said that it was hospital policy to book them in the 39th week based on a particular study that showed a large decrease in bubs that needed breathing assistance when they are delivered at 38w as opposed to 39w.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Booked in for c section @ 39w

Quote Originally Posted by monnie24 View Post
    epilepsy/seizures thats why i'm booked in. i've requested it though on i know my body etc. OB said thats fine.
    In that case I think they will do a csection, my advice would be to go straight to hospital as soon as labour begins, it will make the experience calmer and less of an emergency.
    I was booked in for 39weeks, baby born at 35 via emergency csection (was attempting vbac but due to numerous factors it was not safe to labour). I went to hospital at first sign of blood.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    My sister is booked for a c/s at 39w this time, after an emerg c/s last time. Her OB said if she went in to labour earlier, she would just have another 'emerg c/s'.

I was surprised (as was she) that he booked it for 39w. We always thought if elective they do it at least 10-14 days prior. Obviously not!
    Prob suits him when she's 39weeks. I know someone who got their elective at 37 weeks cus it suited ob.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by newmummy2010 View Post
    Prob suits him when she's 39weeks. I know someone who got their elective at 37 weeks cus it suited ob.
    I don't think so, my OB also said that they book in CS at 39 weeks. It would be either him or his colleague who would perform the op and they never take time off at the same time, so any time is 'convenient'. He said even though I went into labour with DD at 37 weeks they would still not book earlier than 39 weeks.

But yes, SOME OBs do what suits them rather than the mum/baby. I know one mum who was induced at 40w as her OB was going on holidays the next day and then she would have had to wait another 2 weeks. She wasn't stressed as was induced with her 1st so it was all she knew, but I would have been peeved!

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My Ob asked to do my c-section on the 28th of March instead of the 29th as the 29th is a public holiday . I had no problems with that though. And it wasn't a "I want to go on holidays" thing, he just made a joke and was a bit suprised when I said ok lmao.

So I'm booked for 37w6d. He said that if I go into labour earlier than that, that they would just do an 'emergency' c-section but that it wouldn't really be emergency as such. It's just unplanned timing as opposed to planned timing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They'll get you into surgery ASAP unless bubs head is poking out
    it is actually a very good idea to avoid public holidays, weekends, Fridays etc for a cs - if bubs needs extra help and ends up in SCN or NICU it can cause delays getting some tests done and results back, which means a few extra unnecessary days in hospital and days of stress!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I was booked for my elective at 38w - due to placenta previa... Long story.

My 1st birth was an emergency c section at 39w.

Thanks
    Reviews
    2 of my friends are obstetricians and I really disagree with the idea that obstetricians do what suits them, rather than what is best for the safety of mum and baby.

They work really hard and are on call. The safety of the baby is paramount - it's their profession! They always work in teams precisely so that when they are on a day off, you will have another ob to see you - so they don't just book you in for c-sections "because it suits them." If it is best for you to have it done on their day off, you will have it booked in with their partner.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsStewart For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post

But yes, SOME OBs do what suits them rather than the mum/baby. I know one mum who was induced at 40w as her OB was going on holidays the next day and then she would have had to wait another 2 weeks. She wasn't stressed as was induced with her 1st so it was all she knew, but I would have been peeved!
    I would say that would be more for the Mum, we take a great deal of time in choosing an Ob that we are comfortable with, and of course hope they are the ones to deliver the baby - so I don't think the Ob does it 'because it suits them', but because they know the Mum has chosen them to deliver the baby so that date would work. When booking in, most obs tell you if your due date falls around their annual leave date. I would have been induced in order to ensure my Ob delivered my babies, than risk ending up with someone I didn't know, but that is me.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Booked in for c section @ 39w

Unfortunately that OB was mine for DD and in his case my money would be that it was for his convenience. He is thankfully the exception rather than the norm. I've got a new OB this time - but that is more because the aforementioned one's first words at my 6 week check were "well, now you've had a C-section you have to have them for any more babies"... Like I said, thankfully the exception!!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Papillion  (03-03-2013)