+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Change table antics

DS 6 months has just discovered the joy of twisting himself around whilst on the change table. As soon as I lift his legs in the air, he stiffens himself so he's like a straight board, twists to the side and reaches his top hand over his head to grab the end of the change table, so he just has one hand and his head touching the table and the rest of himself way up in the air vigorously twisting, often so that his body is not even over the table any more but suspended over the floor! I've tried giving him a toy so he concentrates on that, but he usually looks at it for five seconds and throws it on the floor, so I'm left struggling with his writhing body and pooey bottom. I'm terrified he's going to twist out of my grip on his ankles and fall on the floor!

Any tips? Is he old enough to understand being told "no"? Or do I just need to battle on and strengthen my grip on his ankles?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Haha.. My ds2 hasn't lied still for a nappy change since he was about 7 months...he's now 16 months!

Singing songs sometimes helps, otherwise nappy pants have become our best friend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

DD does that too! The only way to change her is if I go "hunting" for something super interesting for her to have like a shine bracelet with charms or a jar full of buttons or a mini rolling pin... random I know but it works. A friend of mine has a padding for the change table with a little soft toy overhead hanging thing whenever I change her on that she loves it but I don't know if it's novelty or not.
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So annoying! DS has been doing it for months. The best thing we do is give him different things to distract him when changing him. Saying 'no' doesn't work and he thinks it's a big game.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a mobile on the roof above the change table with very limited success, but any success is better than none!

I give my dd something that's super interesting. Even a tube of something (that can't easily be opened) or a nappy or anything else that she might not get elsewhere, but because I'm watching her like a hawk it's ok. Even with that it is super hard at times. For a while there a pooey nappy would require help from my dh who works from home ... a decided advantage there! She's such a terror. Basically it does just require a really good strong hold and a super fast nappy changing technique.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Toys that sing a song help sometimes, a favourite is a pinwheel that I blow so it spins. As my little girl is one now the last few months she has been able to twist and as we have the tall boy right beside change table with wipes etc on she stands up using that. I give her as long as it takes to get nappy ready and lie her back down, most of the time that's all she needs. It does make it easy to clean her bum when she's standing now though.

I have a friend who does all changes on the floor because of this problem.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You aren't alone OP!

I have found with DS that I need to distract him with something entirely random, that he doesn't usually play with (so not a toy or book etc).