+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think only get a pump if you either have low supply issues or want to pump to have some 'spare' in the freezer to bottle feed when you're out. Most women I know with good supply find they can hand-express if they get uncomfortable.

I was also going to say, don't feel bad if BFing isn't the amazing bonding experience so many women find it to be. Personally, I just felt like a milking cow during feed times. I felt like I was bonding so much more with DD when we'd just have little cuddles and she'd let out a little sigh - she was happy and she wanted for nothing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Thank you all so much for all your feedback and stories. Its great to hear both perspectives. Would all of you mummies who did breast feed recommend to get a breast pump to help with the sore breasts? Have heard its good to stop them from being so hard and full? And if you did use a pump, any specific brands you would recommend? Have heard medela is great.
    No pumps/bottles till 8wks old. Hand express for comfort. As PP have said a baby is far more efficient than a pump. And many women who bf well can barely pump any. Then think they have no milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    No pumps/bottles till 8wks k.
    That's really interesting... When I had my DD, the hospital midwives got me to start pumping straight away from the next feed when I was back in my room. I'm still confused why this happened? Any ides...

My DD never had the wide open mouth so I could latch her And i had next to no help or support from the midwives. They seemed not very pro bf to me. No encouraging words, nothing!

I'm looking at a better hospital next time to get my bf off on the right foot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

This is my experience.

No one I know in my family has ever bottle fed before they were 6-12mths old. For me breast feeding was the only option. There was/is no other choice. It's bm till they are old enough for cows milk. Dhs family is the same.

So when you enter bf with "it's this or my baby goes hungry" I believe it helps. I remember when dd1 was born. She fed every 30-45 min for 1-2 days. I was in tears from exhaustion (30hr labour) and my nipples were very sore. I was going to ask for some relief when dh told me to "suck it up princess". I was in such shock that I did just that.

24hrs later my milk was in and it was pretty good.

You also need to know what is normal for babies.

Bf babies feed ALL the time in the first few weeks to bring on the milk. You complement - you risk losing your supply.

Dummies interfere with comfort sucking. It's best if babies comfort suck on your boobs in the early days as it brings in your milk.

Good bm supply needs lots of water and a relatively good diet. I need 2000-2300 cal a day to feed my girls. Minimum is 1800.

Cs, pph, thyroid probs, traumatic births can all delay milk arriving.

There are meds you can take plus herbal stuff.

YOU need to want to do it

Hth - pm me if you want more info
    Oh my goodness your 2nd paragraph is such dangerous advice! I had the same attitude as yours originally and my newborn became dehydrated and lost a worrying amount of weight all because I was led to believe that formula was bad.

To anyone reading this, please don't let your baby go hungry! Feed it whatever milk it needs!

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

anonyme  (23-02-2013),beebs  (22-02-2013),Busy-Bee  (22-02-2013),Guest654  (22-02-2013),jagamoe  (22-02-2013),Maybelline  (22-02-2013),Purple Lily  (22-02-2013),Stretched  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Oh my goodness your 2nd paragraph is such dangerous advice! I had the same attitude as yours originally and my newborn became dehydrated and lost a worrying amount of weight all because I was led to believe that formula was bad.

To anyone reading this, please don't let your baby go hungry! Feed it whatever milk it needs!
    Didn't you read the part that said "for me"?

That was MY mindset. That is my current mindset for ME. The OP asked what helped me- and I answered honestly. Should I have lied?

???
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 22-02-2013 at 18:17.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Missy RJ View Post
    That's really interesting... When I had my DD, the hospital midwives got me to start pumping straight away from the next feed when I was back in my room. I'm still confused why this happened? Any ides...

My DD never had the wide open mouth so I could latch her And i had next to no help or support from the midwives. They seemed not very pro bf to me. No encouraging words, nothing!

I'm looking at a better hospital next time to get my bf off on the right foot!
    Why pump so early?

Yes pump if bub is losing weight but otherwise there is absolutely no reason to that early.

Dd2 didn't have a wide mouth latch either so I had to use my fingers to make my nipple squishier. She outgrew that in a few weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews

We tried but it didn't work out for us. I had a lot of guilt when deciding to stop but once I saw DD on the formula and how much more satisfied she was I knew I had made the right decision.

Give it a go. If it doesn't work out then choose to FF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    This is my experience.

No one I know in my family has ever bottle fed before they were 6-12mths old. For me breast feeding was the only option. There was/is no other choice. It's bm till they are old enough for cows milk. Dhs family is the same.

So when you enter bf with "it's this or my baby goes hungry" I believe it helps. I remember when dd1 was born. She fed every 30-45 min for 1-2 days. I was in tears from exhaustion (30hr labour) and my nipples were very sore. I was going to ask for some relief when dh told me to "suck it up princess". I was in such shock that I did just that.

24hrs later my milk was in and it was pretty good.

You also need to know what is normal for babies.

Bf babies feed ALL the time in the first few weeks to bring on the milk. You complement - you risk losing your supply.

Dummies interfere with comfort sucking. It's best if babies comfort suck on your boobs in the early days as it brings in your milk.

Good bm supply needs lots of water and a relatively good diet. I need 2000-2300 cal a day to feed my girls. Minimum is 1800.

Cs, pph, thyroid probs, traumatic births can all delay milk arriving.

There are meds you can take plus herbal stuff.

YOU need to want to do it

Hth - pm me if you want more info
    sorry but this is awful to read ..

I would not take this on as advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    sorry but this is awful to read ..

I would not take this on as advice
    Agreed! Its boot camp style breast feeding...

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by darla87 View Post
    Agreed! Its boot camp style breast feeding...
    I'm puzzled as to why you think it's do bad? It worked for me. The OP specifically asked what I did. So I answered. Like I asked lemonpancakes... Should I have lied?

I genuinely curious... Cos then I know not to answer questions like this.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (23-02-2013)