+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Maybeline.. That's a long time to stick it out.. Good on you! Did it not get any easier for you??? Have heard to expect the first month to be awful... Was it still hard 3 months in?? Did anyone experience blood in their milk?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi Cassieh,

From my experiences, BFing can be hard work at the start. I persisted as for me its something I wholeheartedly believe in and feel its best for my baby.

I have GGs and DD has fed with no problems! (and here is the embarrasing bit) DD was awful to settle to sleep so when I would need to put her to sleep, I would feed her and when she drifted off I would keep her attached and could put her in her bassinet still attached! Then she would have a couple of sucks, I knew she was settled and would disengage. Big boobs do have their benefits!

Also when it comes to BFing its best to try to relax! With all my bubs I have always have had pain. They were always attached correctly but I was still in toe curling pain. All the middies would check and confirm correct attachment but it still hurt. It eased off for me by about the third week and then everything was perfect. For me it made sense that it would hurt...I mean n1pples are sensitive things and all of a sudden there is a sucking machine attached 24x7! Heck it has to hurt!

With my first I had no expectations and almost felt like ignorance was bliss. I think when I read too much with my subsequent bubs I overloaded myself and really began doubting myself. Can I do this? Will it hurt too much?

Have lots of DVDs or Foxtel. ALways have a bottle of water on hand. You will be ravenously hungry. Get some good maternity bras and some feeding singlets/tops. Have a place set up for when you bf - like a pillow that bubs will be propped on while you feed, a comfy back pillow for you, remotes, water, phone, etc. Be prepared for the bf poos....it can get messy! It can be hard work at the start but it will get better.

But once you have the hang of it....its just awesome! There is something so special when they are feeding with a little hand on your breast.

My SIL ony BF'd her DS for 3 months and went to bottle and with her DD she didnt BF at all. She sees me know BFing my DD (at 15mo still) and she has said to me that she regrets not persisting as there was no reason for her to stop. That all her MOthers Group were bottlefeeding so she thought that was the best way to go so I do understand where you say her friend may not have had a good support network to continue BFing (if thats what she wanted to do).

Good luck with it all....all you can do is try!

Thanks
    Reviews

Sorry, I haven't read all the replies but this is my experience:

I never actually wanted to breastfed when I first fell pregnant I was sure I was just going to bottlefeed. I warmed up the idea closer to the birth but I was never set on it. Anyway my bub came along and that's when I was determined for me it was hard because bub wouldn't latch properly and I stressed about it a lot but for some reason I just had to do it! Once I got home I had a midwife kinda lady visit me a few times (free from the local clinic) and she really helped me to get bub to latch and honestly it took over 2 weeks to relax and enjoy it and I came so close to giving up like every feed!! But I stuck at it and I'm so glad I did I bf for 6 months (only stopped cause I went back to work) and its such an awesome experience. Some women get it like straight away and then there's others that really have to work at it and you will get upset and discouraged but if you really want to do it give it your best go it's worth it but its not the end of the world if you don't bf!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think the best thing you can do if you want to breastfeed is focus on yourself and your baby. People will give you all kinds of horror stories and tell you formula is just as good, or will tell you that breastfeeding was easy as pie for them - neither are helpful for your situation as no two experiences are the same.

Arm yourself with some books from la lache league, check out the ABA and make sure you get the contact details for a good lactation consultant in case of issues.

All the best

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

This is my experience.

No one I know in my family has ever bottle fed before they were 6-12mths old. For me breast feeding was the only option. There was/is no other choice. It's bm till they are old enough for cows milk. Dhs family is the same.

So when you enter bf with "it's this or my baby goes hungry" I believe it helps. I remember when dd1 was born. She fed every 30-45 min for 1-2 days. I was in tears from exhaustion (30hr labour) and my nipples were very sore. I was going to ask for some relief when dh told me to "suck it up princess". I was in such shock that I did just that.

24hrs later my milk was in and it was pretty good.

You also need to know what is normal for babies.

Bf babies feed ALL the time in the first few weeks to bring on the milk. You complement - you risk losing your supply.

Dummies interfere with comfort sucking. It's best if babies comfort suck on your boobs in the early days as it brings in your milk.

Good bm supply needs lots of water and a relatively good diet. I need 2000-2300 cal a day to feed my girls. Minimum is 1800.

Cs, pph, thyroid probs, traumatic births can all delay milk arriving.

There are meds you can take plus herbal stuff.

YOU need to want to do it

Hth - pm me if you want more info

Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Rose.. Did you do anything to prepare yourself for breast feeding? Any creams on your nipples? Anything you did that you found really helped you?? My mother has suggested tanning my nipples as a way of toughening them up. Lol. Has anyone done that?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Definitely give it a go! More often than not in the beginning it will hurt..alot! However if you can persevere for about 6 weeks it all just starts working as it should (that was my experience and was advice from a friend). I wanted to give up so many times but I didn't like seeing friends just giving up all because it was too hard. I didn't have any excuse apart from the pain to give up. Fast forward 22mths, I'm still feeing him and my 8 week old. It's a wonderful experience if it works for you. Plus I personally find it so much easier and more convenient than bottle feeding..you can just leave the house, nothing to prepare nothing to sterilize. And once they are older it's a nice time to have quiet cuddles.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I have breastfed for over 10 years if you added up all 6 kids.

The first month is the hardest, yes even with the 6th bub. After that it is the easiest and the best thing for both baby and you.

You don't need to anything to your nipples to prepare them in-fact some of those old wives tales to toughen up your nipple do damage.

I am happy to answer any questions

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I topped up each breast feed with bottle formula from 3 days until 8 months when I went to 100% formula due to supply issues. I worked very hard initially to increase my supply with some success (pumping between feeds, breast compression, cookies etc) but would be back to square 1 every time she had a growth spurt. In the end I was dependent on motillium for any supply at all.

Some mums in my mum's group gave up (in my eyes) very easily. Many said "I've done the 6 weeks they recommend" (errr.. isn't that 6 months?) But I never said anything - each to their own and they were not harming their babies or selves.

From my experience here would be my advice:

Go in with a positive attitude, but don't be upset if things don't work out. I really struggled with feeling like a failure as a mum because I could not meet my child's basic need. I thought surely my genes should have been Darwinised! But the more thought I gave it the more I realised that it is only recently in Western society that breastfeeding has become the exclusive responsibility of the birth mother - pre-formula if you could not feed your own baby then your sister/friend/wet nurse would do it for you no worries.

Lanisoh. Nipple shields if you have perky breasts or small nipples. I never had any stress weaning off nipple shields once things were no longer painful.

Do what you need to to relax when feeding. If for you this means covering up - cover up, if it means feed at the dinner table - do that. Don't be afraid to send people away - I was way to nice to many random visitors (DH's mate's girlriends who would goo and gah getting DD to pull off mid-feed so they could have a look/cuddle with her! Gah!).

But once again - don't beat yourself up over whatever you end up doing - people will judge you (and you yourself) no matter what you do... welcome to parenting!

Thanks
    Reviews

The first week bfing was very difficult, then we had a few weeks of relatively easy feeding (though he did feed for over 12hours per day). It was around the 6-8 week mark that problems began for us - DS started chewing my nipples and not latching well. I ended up with thrush and cellulitis with very painful vasospasm lasting from 20 to 90 minutes post feeding that prevented sleep. Treatment was only minimally effective and latching did not improve even with a lactation consultant's help.

I started pumping and feeding ebm in a bottle. Did this exclusively for nearly 2 weeks then my supply dropped a little so started comp feeding. Now at nearly 16 weeks of age, DS still has mix of ebm and formula at each feed. It's a lot of work expressing, preparing bottles/formula and cleaning up afterwards. But at least I'm sleeping now. DS has also started some solids - he's a big hungry baby!

I really wanted to bf exclusively for much longer but it's more important to me that my bub is happy. And quite frankly the sleep deprivation (from the pain) was turning me into an angry, depressed mumma which was not good for anyone! The benefit of bottle feeding is that I'll be going back to work in April - my works days are long - and DS is fine drinking from something other than me!

Good luck with your own bfing journey - hopefully you'll take to it with no problems

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's important to remember that the first months after baby is born you will not be in the frame of mind you are now. Your emotions and hormones are all over the place. You may be quick to cry, sleep deprived and still suffering pain and distress from labour.

I only breast fed for 5 weeks. I've gone into my reasons for this before. I can honestly say that if I felt the way I do now strong, healthy, and confident I would have been able to overcome my obstacles. Instead I was sitting on infected stitches, hating myself and exhausted. I would have ended up depressed and unwell if I continued. Breast certainly not best in my situation.