+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Syringe feeding and cup feeding is done when they're newborns, at this stage they're only having 20-40ml. You do this when you're waiting for your milk to come in, when you need to top up for whatever reason and don't want to use a bottle which can affect breastfeeding and their ability to latch, it doesn't confuse them.
    I didn't know about any of these options the first time, I was basically given formula a bottle in hospital and made to feed ds this way which eventually ended my ability to breastfeed.
    I want women to know formula isn't the next thing if breastfeeding isn't working out perfectly, there are many other things to do and try and if you know about them, at least you won't have any regrets if you do go onto formula. I would never tell a new mum, this didn't work, that didn't, this is too expensive, formula is just as good.
    Breastfeeding is hard, it doesn't come easy or naturally and it can take a while and some patience to establish. But if you want to keep going there are things you can try that might work out well for you, even if it didn't for someone else, at least you know about them.
    For some women who can't bf at all due to illness or whatever might find a couple of weeks of donated milk is worth it, that at least their baby got something rather than nothing. I don't know where $8 a bottle came from, I'm sure it would vary, but some women can afford it and if they know about it then its an option.

Like I said formula can be the last option and was for me. I'd rather women know there's things you can try rather than think formula is the only option if there's an issue.
    You can get a lot of misinformation and bad advice and this leads to regret and guilt when you learn you could of done this or tried that and giving formula wasn't necessary in some situations. I certainly felt that and I learnt so much the second time from my lc.
    Sorry if this offends anyone, sometimes in discussions about bfeeding with the roll eyes and constant negativity towards solutions that may work out an issue, it seems like your saying dont bother because it didn't work for me. Just give formula.
    I thought I already said this but the $8 a bottle is the price given by the Mothers Milk Bank.
    Here is the email I received from them:

Dear ***
    The milk is free and the processing fee is $8 for a bottle of 100-120mls.
    A donation through the website for the processing fee is a tax deduction.
    Kind regards
    Marea Ryan
    Volunteer/Director
    MMB

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I thought I already said this but the $8 a bottle is the price given by the Mothers Milk Bank.
    Here is the email I received from them:

Dear ***
    The milk is free and the processing fee is $8 for a bottle of 100-120mls.
    A donation through the website for the processing fee is a tax deduction.
    Kind regards
    Marea Ryan
    Volunteer/Director
    MMB
    Thanks for that. I think it's reasonable for that amount to be honest, I never had to use it but seeing as my babies only drank 20ml top ups at a time (this increased when they got bigger) it's definately a good option for the first few weeks, it would have lasted me a while.
    And worth the money to continue breastfeeding rather than risk using formula again, which was the start of our problems and a big reason I stopped breastfeeding the first time. I wish I knew about it then

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Thanks for that. I think it's reasonable for that amount to be honest, I never had to use it but seeing as my babies only drank 20ml top ups at a time (this increased when they got bigger) it's definately a good option for the first few weeks, it would have lasted me a while.
    And worth the money to continue breastfeeding rather than risk using formula again, which was the start of our problems and a big reason I stopped breastfeeding the first time. I wish I knew about it then
    At one point my DD was having 90-120 ml after every single breast feed. Now she has only 1-2 top ups, the rest is breast. Formula has been fine for us for top ups.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At one point my DD was having 90-120 ml after every single breast feed. Now she has only 1-2 top ups, the rest is breast. Formula has been fine for us for top ups.
    Formula top ups is one of those things that can definately cause issues in establishing bfeeding, mixed feeding can be tricky and doesn't always work. Babies can prefer formula and refuse bm, supply can dwindle if your not pumping to top up with and using formula instead, and bottle feeding can confuse babies and their latch is affected (which then causes supply issues, needing more top ups, bm keeps dwindling etc).
    I would always tell someone to get some professional advice from an lc or the aba if they want to bf fulltime and needing to use top ups and the best way to go about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Formula top ups is one of those things that can definately cause issues in establishing bfeeding, mixed feeding can be tricky and doesn't always work. Babies can prefer formula and refuse bm, supply can dwindle if your not pumping to top up with and using formula instead, and bottle feeding can confuse babies and their latch is affected (which then causes supply issues, needing more top ups, bm keeps dwindling etc).
    I would always tell someone to get some professional advice from an lc or the aba if they want to bf fulltime and needing to use top ups and the best way to go about it.
    I know all this. Pumping doesn't work for me, I average about 40 ml per day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes, there is what is best, and then there is what works, you know?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

GreenMama  (26-02-2013),Guest654  (26-02-2013),kw123  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies, but here's my experience with both babies.

I never had any intention of doing anything other than breastfeeding. I thought it would be normal and natural and that the only issues might be that I'd be tired from doing it so frequently, which didn't concern me in the slightest as I'm not much of a sleeper anyway. Unfortunately I was to find out that for me it was a lot more than just that!

For me, the main issue was the pain. My first baby had me cracked, blistered and bleeding within hours of being born. People will tell you that if you're doing it "right" there won't be any pain. This is not necessarily true. I had my latch checked over and over again, and it was perfect, but it still hurt like hell. Every single time I attached him it was like pouring alcohol over a bad open wound. I used creams, air dried them, did everything you were supposed to - but it still took weeks for them to "toughen" up, and then after that I was fine and went on to feed for 9 months, but I tell you what, if I hadn't been so adamant I would feed, I wouldn't have. It hurt that much. A lot of women in here have said "it simply isn't as important to some women" and that is so true. If it wasn't important to me, I wouldn't have done it.

When baby number 2 was on the way, I thought breast feeding would be so much easier as my nipples were hopefully "pre-toughened" omg was I wrong!! It was worse. She had me blistered within 30mins of being born. She fed non stop, and it was pure agony every time. She was attached to me pretty much permanently. Again, it took maybe 3 - 4 weeks of pure agony for my nipples to get to that point where they were past the pain, and I went on to feed for 9 months, but I had other issues with her as she got older as well. Lots of breast refusal for unknown reasons, fussy on the boob, and supply issues when she was refusing to feed which meant having to take supplements and pump to keep my supply up.

Baby number 3 is on the way, and this time I'm under no illusion that it will be any easier than the first 2 times, but I'm still determined to feed for at least 9 months, simply because it's something that's important to me. My sister in law stopped feeding her daughter after a few weeks, and I certainly never thought she didn't try hard enough, or she should have got more help etc - she just made the best choice for her and her family, which was to not pursue breastfeeding.

Also keep in mind, for some women breastfeeding IS easy. Some women have no pain. Their babies feed on demand, keep their supply up, and continue to do so for 12, 24, 36 months, or whatever they want. Many of those women are very understanding of the rest of us that don't find it so easy, whereas others just don't get it. You can't really "get it" till you've been through it yourself.

Being a control freak yourself, I can foresee another issue for you. A lot of people struggle with not knowing how much their baby is eating. When breastfeeding you dont' know if your baby has just drunk 5ml, 10ml, 50ml or 100ml of milk. You have no idea. Then you wonder why they're hungry 5 mins after they finish eating, assume you have supply issues, when maybe you actually don't. Also sometimes you'll run out of milk and your baby will still be hungry, but you have to wait for your milk to replenish before you can feed them again. This can be stressful for some mothers, who often then stop feeding and put it down to "supply issues" when really.. their baby may just have been trying to boost their supply by feeding more often.

It's hard, but in my opinion, worth it to persevere.

Good luck, and please try to curb your judgment on this issue, because you don't understand how it's been for her, and possibly never will. Hopefully for you, you'll be one of the lucky ones who finds it easy!

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I breastfed for 6 weeks and then my milk randomly dried up. I went to the nearest shop and bought formula and DS went straight onto that.

I never knew there was an issue with FF until this forum.

With this baby I plan to breastfeed if possible but am prepared to FF if need be. I dont think I will breastfeed for too long anyway and if my supply is good I will probably express and bottle feed after a couple of months.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

hopefulmama2b  (04-05-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know all this. Pumping doesn't work for me, I average about 40 ml per day.
    Sometimes, there is what is best, and then there is what works, you know?
    I'm sure you do know, alot of people don't though. That's what's hard when you give advice, because what worked for you, it may not for someone else to establish breastfeeding and the formula top ups become permanent. When I had my first baby I wasn't aware that formula would affect breastfeeding so much, if I was told that at least it could rather than it wouldn't, perhaps I would have taken a different approach.
    I'm not telling you what you should or could be doing Atropos, it's general advice I would give to a new mum, that seeking professional advice would be the way to go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I never knew there was an issue with FF until this forum.
    Certainly an eye-opening place!