+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    You get those little measuring cups you take medicine from, the hospital supply them and usually the middwifes would show you, you just put it to their lips and they drink it
    Yep, get them to show you how in hospital, it was what kept me going, knowing he was getting something. That being said don't be fooled into thinking what you can express is a true indication of your supply I could only ever express a very small amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There seem to be a few fallacies floating around about donor milk. one it is always donated in Australia. it is illegal to buy breast milk. two the pastuerisation process actually gets rid of most of the stis that can contaminate the milk. It even gets rid of hep C. three you can request for your donor to submit blood test results if you want to be doubly sure.
    HM4HB is just a connection point- but they have some great articles if you are interested... and then there's this "vs" thing? why does it have to be one or the other? you can do both. there is nothing stopping you. I think alot of these debates are ridiculous because if you look around breastfeeding mums are happily chatting to formula mums and mixed feeding mums all in the same group. We're all just mums. formula donor and breast are feeding options.... not cults or per-requisites.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

You get those little measuring cups you take medicine from, the hospital supply them and usually the middwifes would show you, you just put it to their lips and they drink it
    Not all babies do. I tried this but had no luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggermum View Post
    There seem to be a few fallacies floating around about donor milk. one it is always donated in Australia. it is illegal to buy breast milk. two the pastuerisation process actually gets rid of most of the stis that can contaminate the milk. It even gets rid of hep C. three you can request for your donor to submit blood test results if you want to be doubly sure.
    HM4HB is just a connection point- but they have some great articles if you are interested... and then there's this "vs" thing? why does it have to be one or the other? you can do both. there is nothing stopping you. I think alot of these debates are ridiculous because if you look around breastfeeding mums are happily chatting to formula mums and mixed feeding mums all in the same group. We're all just mums. formula donor and breast are feeding options.... not cults or per-requisites.
    Yes, the milk is free but there is a processing fee of $8 per bottle through Mothers Milk Bank. So the cost is not a fallacy at all

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Not all babies do. I tried this but had no luck.
    Syringe would be the next thing to try before bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Yes, the milk is free but there is a processing fee of $8 per bottle through Mothers Milk Bank. So the cost is not a fallacy at all
    It's definitely not a cheap option, but I don't see it as a long term solution or something you can do full time. It could be a solution for a few days till you sort out a problem, it could be used with formula top ups because some mums feel any breast milk for a short time is better than none, or you could buy it to keep in the freezer to use as those top ups you really need when your supply is low, your not pumping enough and need the extra (without resorting to formula top ups)

Thanks
    Reviews

It's definitely not a cheap option, but I don't see it as a long term solution or something you can do full time. It could be a solution for a few days till you sort out a problem, it could be used with formula top ups because some mums feel any breast milk for a short time is better than none, or you could buy it to keep in the freezer to use as those top ups you really need when your supply is low, your not pumping enough and need the extra (without resorting to formula top ups)
    For someone like me who has to top up one to two times per day (down from after every feed!) the cost and inconvenience just isn't practical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    For someone like me who has to top up one to two times per day (down from after every feed!) the cost and inconvenience just isn't practical.
    Or for someone that tops up with a full bottle at every feed... $50 a day :/ that IS more than my rent!

Thanks
    Reviews

Syringe would be the next thing to try before bottle.
    Have you done this yourself or is this just your opinion?

We did try it. Syringing 100-120ml takes a ridiculous amount of time. Baby screaming because he is hungry and can't get enough... And I was expressing to get the milk to syringe so basically never did anything about from express and syringe for a couple of days.

I know some mums would keep going but for me that is no kind of life and my mental health was already suffering due to a traumatic birth and lack of sleep. Te pumping was agony for me too.

So for us formula was a lifesaver and I am so grateful we had that option.

I'm not doubting the positive impact of BF'ing but I also think that people assume that FF = sickly child, or worse (IMO), that you don't have the same bond as with a BF baby. Utter rubbish in my case.

DS is 8 months and never been sick once. And honestly, I was able to bond with him and vice versa much better once we stopped BFing. Before that I dreaded him waking for a feed and associated him with misery and pain this made me feel like the worst mum in the world as you can imagine.
    Last edited by kw123; 25-02-2013 at 05:16.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-02-2013),BlissedOut  (25-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (25-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Syringe feeding and cup feeding is done when they're newborns, at this stage they're only having 20-40ml. You do this when you're waiting for your milk to come in, when you need to top up for whatever reason and don't want to use a bottle which can affect breastfeeding and their ability to latch, it doesn't confuse them.
    I didn't know about any of these options the first time, I was basically given formula a bottle in hospital and made to feed ds this way which eventually ended my ability to breastfeed.
    I want women to know formula isn't the next thing if breastfeeding isn't working out perfectly, there are many other things to do and try and if you know about them, at least you won't have any regrets if you do go onto formula. I would never tell a new mum, this didn't work, that didn't, this is too expensive, formula is just as good.
    Breastfeeding is hard, it doesn't come easy or naturally and it can take a while and some patience to establish. But if you want to keep going there are things you can try that might work out well for you, even if it didn't for someone else, at least you know about them.
    For some women who can't bf at all due to illness or whatever might find a couple of weeks of donated milk is worth it, that at least their baby got something rather than nothing. I don't know where $8 a bottle came from, I'm sure it would vary, but some women can afford it and if they know about it then its an option.

Like I said formula can be the last option and was for me. I'd rather women know there's things you can try rather than think formula is the only option if there's an issue.
    You can get a lot of misinformation and bad advice and this leads to regret and guilt when you learn you could of done this or tried that and giving formula wasn't necessary in some situations. I certainly felt that and I learnt so much the second time from my lc.
    Sorry if this offends anyone, sometimes in discussions about bfeeding with the roll eyes and constant negativity towards solutions that may work out an issue, it seems like your saying dont bother because it didn't work for me. Just give formula.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buttermilk For This Useful Post:

Hootenanny  (25-02-2013),missie_mackxxxx  (26-02-2013)