+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    Me too! Who knows what the donor eats/drinks and what chemicals she's exposed to that have gone into her milk. I trust formula a lot more!
    That's great you have that choice. But for mums that don't want to use formula - they don't have the easy access of donor milk.

I would have loved some donor milk for dd2 when she was in PICU. I might have slept for more than 30min in over a week but I didn't have that choice.

Let mums chose what's best for their family. For mine - it's my bm or donor bm as a second choice. Since I'm currently out of lactating cousins - I don't have that choice at this point.

For you - it was formula. And that's fine. Because it was the best choice for you and your baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't care how poisonous some people think formula is, I would not feel comfortable using breastmilk from a stranger and would choose formula first in that situation.
    Me too! Would never have used a wet nurse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just a quick comment on RBWH. Unless things have changed a lot in the 4 years since I had DS1 there they are big on talk about being pro breastfeeding but low on actual support. When I was there they gave DS1 formula on my second night after having him because he was screaming hungry and I was to exhausted, hormonal and in pain to stop them. I then got yelled at by the senior midwife the next morning for "allowing" it. The only support I was ever offered was to visit a lactation consultant a week after DS was born in Alderley which at that point might as well have been on the moon. I went on to exclusively breast feed DS1 until he was 3 months old and continued to breastfeed until he was nearly 2

You are doing absolutely the right thing OP arm yourself with all the information and resources you can because in those (possibly) tough first days you wont have the strength to go looking for them. Incidentally if you are in Brizzy and want to PM me I have a pump, bottles and microwave steriliser you are welcome to. Avent brand.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pommiemum11 For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pommiemum11 View Post
    Just a quick comment on RBWH. Unless things have changed a lot in the 4 years since I had DS1 there they are big on talk about being pro breastfeeding but low on actual support. When I was there they gave DS1 formula on my second night after having him because he was screaming hungry and I was to exhausted, hormonal and in pain to stop them. I then got yelled at by the senior midwife the next morning for "allowing" it. The only support I was ever offered was to visit a lactation consultant a week after DS was born in Alderley which at that point might as well have been on the moon. I went on to exclusively breast feed DS1 until he was 3 months old and continued to breastfeed until he was nearly 2

You are doing absolutely the right thing OP arm yourself with all the information and resources you can because in those (possibly) tough first days you wont have the strength to go looking for them. Incidentally if you are in Brizzy and want to PM me I have a pump, bottles and microwave steriliser you are welcome to. Avent brand.
    Yep my friend has this prob too at that hospy, I mentioned it earlier.

You need to stick your ground with those nurses that force formula.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Yep my friend has this prob too at that hospy, I mentioned it earlier.
    Sorry must have missed it. Did try to read back the 13 pages...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I successfully breastfed both my children for a couple of years, both were delivered by cs and it took a long time for my milk to come in (around 4 days) - there are a couple of things I think contributed to my success.

Firstly I had a very knowledgeable and experienced support person - my mum, I would recommend visiting a local aba meeting or finding out what supports are out there beforehand, you need someone readily available and supportive.

I did not buy a single bottle, tin of formula or anything related to bottle feeding, I did not want those things easily available in times of doubt (and I had them)

I did however have access to small cups for expressing into and 'cupping' in those first few few days, as well as equipment for a supply line - I did use a supply line with my first but not my second. I expressed frequently in those first few days to stimulate milk production, even though I only got a few drops to begin with I would still cup feed the milk to bub.

Even though my milk took a while to come in whenever they cried I would attach them, they need this time to perfect their latch and strengthen their suck.

Resist the temptation to supplement with formula- it will mess with establishing a proper supply and is counterproductive. I was so sure my babies were not getting enough and was so emotional in that first week but my mum kept reminding me how little their tummies were to begin with and how little they needed, she also reassured me that as long as there were regular wet nappies we were fine. I didn't realise how little their tummies are until later, there is a great diagram here which can help reassure you.

Be prepared to devote the majority of your time to establishing breastfeeding in those first few weeks/months, it is draining, it is tiring - if possible have people around you who can support you, my hubby did night time nappy changes and then I fed, whenever bub slept during the day I would too, accept any help on offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely go for donor milk if it was available.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by catbox View Post
    I would definitely go for donor milk if it was available.
    I would too, if it was screened, pasteurised and affordable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Not everybody knows how to cup feed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Not everybody knows how to cup feed.
    You get those little measuring cups you take medicine from, the hospital supply them and usually the middwifes would show you, you just put it to their lips and they drink it