+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

I don't care how poisonous some people think formula is, I would not feel comfortable using breastmilk from a stranger and would choose formula first in that situation.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (23-02-2013),babyla  (23-02-2013),darla87  (23-02-2013),Guest654  (23-02-2013),Lil M  (23-02-2013),Made in England  (23-02-2013),Purple Lily  (23-02-2013),SpecialPatrolGroup  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I looked at donor milk, there was a fee of $8 per bottle (considered a donation).
    At one point I was topping up after every single feed due to my supply which was low to start with but then tanked big time, thanks to mastitis. At $8 a pop I was looking at at least $32 per DAY To use donor milk that had been screened etc. my other option was donors I didn't know through a fb page, which I was uncomfortable with and which my DH flar out refused to consider- hey, it's his baby too

OP, you've received some great info here. Good luck with your bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Wow that's very expensive... I don't think it would be an option for me at that price either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    Wow that's very expensive... I don't think it would be an option for me at that price either.
    You can claim back on tax but yeah, no way could I do it at that price.

Thanks
    Reviews

That's almost my rent for a week :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi!
    We really wanted to breast feed (as for all the benefits to baby). I never produced enough milk (we pumped, ate, drank, slept, saw lactation consultant, took meds, etc) but our baby kept getting dehydrated and screaming from hunger. Started by topping up with formula after feeds. If I did the groceries, hung washing, etc. then my milk supply would go to next to nothing. Was great for bonding which I missed with our other children. Still, I breastfed (partially for 6months with our first). So, our children were largely bottle-formula fed. Our eldest drank quickly and had some wind problems for the first three months. Formula is expensive, time consuming with the cleaning. If you can try and breastfeed it is probably optimal. And...a lot of mums I know lose their baby weight very quickly through breast feeding ...just not me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    how would you know that the wet nurse you hired is not HIV positive? It sounds great in an ideal world.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I don't care how poisonous some people think formula is, I would not feel comfortable using breastmilk from a stranger and would choose formula first in that situation.
    How do you know the formula you are buying isn't laced, off or poisenous? It's packaged powder that comes from a factory somewhere, same risks you take buying a tin of formula is the same risk someone takes using donor milk. Nothing is 100% safe but you still trust where it comes from.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    No because in a country like Australia formula is heavily regulated and routinely checked to ensure it is safe,

I don't use formula, I breast feed and I find your comments in this thread highly agressive and insulting.

I would never use donated breast milk ever, we don't check for things like glandular fever etc nor do we know how they work with breast feeding, we don't monitor a mothers diet (I know a woman who donated to hmfhm and drinks 4-6 cans of redbull per day), certain stis can take MONTHS to show in a blood test and we just take a woman's word that she is telling the truth about these things.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    I'm not being aggressive at all? Nothing I'm saying is coming from anger and how is my view on formula and breast feeding insulting? In what way?

Just because things are regulated in Australia doesn't mean our products still don't get contaminated or recalled, this happens everyday on a range of things we consume. I don't know why this is insulting, I'm not offended by people's views on donor breast milk or people rolling their eyes at personal views and beliefs. Are we bad people because we don't accept formula as the 2nd option? Is that wrong, aggressive, insulting?I don't think so. You don't have to use it, Im not telling anyone to, but I would and its an option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    No because in a country like Australia formula is heavily regulated and routinely checked to ensure it is safe,

I don't use formula, I breast feed and I find your comments in this thread highly agressive and insulting.

I would never use donated breast milk ever, we don't check for things like glandular fever etc nor do we know how they work with breast feeding, we don't monitor a mothers diet (I know a woman who donated to hmfhm and drinks 4-6 cans of redbull per day), certain stis can take MONTHS to show in a blood test and we just take a woman's word that she is telling the truth about these things.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    But in Australia we still get product recalls etc...I think the poster is opinionated but not necessarily insulting and aggressive.

I don't believe that formula is poison and one out of my two have had it. I wish there was more access to donor milk in this country - especially after having my third who was 9 weeks prem and I had issues with pumping, repeated mastitis etc...

But back to the OP, no one in my family breastfed and when I had my daughter 7 years ago I thought I'd give it three months. I didn't buy a breast pump or formula just in case and the first six weeks were so hard. Grazes, scabs, toe curling pain every let down but learning to change positions (ie football hold or lying down) helped as did time. It seemed at times that she fed forever and I comp fed from 3 months and made it to ten months before she weaned.

DS1 again first six weeks were really hard (tongue tie, feeding constantly etc..) but we got to 2yrs9months.

DS2 as I said was 9 weeks prem and that's entirely different, but I'm happy to say after so many hurdles that he's nearly 16 months and still breastfeeding.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Me too! Who knows what the donor eats/drinks and what chemicals she's exposed to that have gone into her milk. I trust formula a lot more!