+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I know you didn't say it was never an option, I have no problem with anything that you have said at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Definately your issues are rare (and must of been so hard, poor bub )
    I'm talking about personal experience, when I faced this issue or that, this is what I did. I did say formula is/was my last option, not on my mind at all. When you have the mentality that its not an option, you do exhaust other avenues first and keep formula last.
    Ofcourse in your experience it was the only option, and I never said it's never an option. I have no experience with what you went through and can't say what I would have done, but obviously with advice and help from professionals I would also have come to find the right decision for my baby.

I can say confidently with some womens issues 'this is what I would have done' because I know myself and what I want and also through the experiences I had I know my breaking points. It's not saying 'this is what you should have done' Its not a smack to anyone, women tend to take things personally like your speaking about them, it's too egotistic. But when I talk about myself I really am and can speak for myself. I have never told anyone what they should do, or what their breaking point is. But it is true that what one womens breaking point, isn't the same for someone else.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

I didn't have any pain, latching troubles and love breastfeeding and am getting upset that I go back to work soon n will have to give her mixed feeds. Bub is 18weeks an d we both enjoy it. But every bub is different and u have to do what works best for u n bub. Goodluck 😄

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Re: Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Originally Posted by Lil M
    As its really easy to pop into the chemist for a bottle of donated milk or a wet nurse
    To the pp, when I say low supply you just keep feeding, yes, that is true. Low supply means more regular feeds, I had serious low supply issues and we worked on this alot and in the end nothing I did helped, that's just how my body made milk, so I couldn't go more than an hour between feeds, my baby drank small amounts more regularly the first 4-5months. I had the same issue with my first and gave formula top ups, the second time I decided no top ups I will just give what I have and thats it, and it still worked out, actually better for my supply with no top ups because my baby kept demanding.
    The first time I thought there was a set time to feed and set amount they should have, the second I realised there is no time frame, no amount of feeds they should be having, no certain amount of milk. She fed, slept for a really short time and fed again. Sometimes she wouldn't settle cause my supply was too low (usually if I just pumped) and I'd give her bm top ups, sometimes just 10-20ml.
    Anyway, this is what I did and my experience of how I worked through some of my personal issues.
    i'm genuinely happy that your experience with your second bub was more successful by demand feeding. My point was that it is not always a case of 'just do this/that...' for everyone.

I demand fed DD, she was physically attached to my nipple suckling for 12 or more hours a day (trust me, sitting all that time I could diarise this). I used compression and pumped between feeds, which would often mean she'd attach to an empty boob as there was not much time between feeds. But when your boobs are flat empty pancakes, your baby is screaming for food and 15ml of formula in a bottle settles them for 20 minutes so your body can rest long enough to make some more milk, then formula is a good option. To me, it never meant giving up on breastfeeding.

I'm also hoping to have more success with my 2nd as I know quite a few women who struggled with their first but found their supply better next time. However I will also have bottles and formula on hand as I now appreciate the importance of the mother being able to get some rest for her body to make milk. I've also since found out that my PCO can also be a factor in supply issues so there is a chance I'm just faulty goods.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Sorry I mucked up my quote - silly phone!

Sent from my GT-S5830 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just wanted to clarify. I actually had more issues and less supply the second time, the first time my supply was better but gave formula top ups, the second time I decided not to do that at all.
    I did need top ups too but it was whatever I was expressing in between, I found I had to express just to keeo demand going even with her what felt like 24/7. I usually did night time expressing because I had a toddler who demanded alot of attention in the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also figured out a few months in I had an over active thyroid and this was most likely the cause of my supply issues. It's good to get blood tests after giving birth I found out the hard way not everything is just 'I'm tired cause I just had a baby'

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cassieh View Post
    I've actually never heard of milk banks. That is quite interesting. Have always wondered whether breast milk is the same or whether mothers have different milk, whether the babies can tell the difference, etc. Has anyone on here ever used a donors breast milk? I assume you would buy it & bottle feed. I don't know if I would be comfortable with another woman breast feeding my child, I think that would be a bonding experience I would want for myself.
    Its illegal to buy breast milk in Australia due to its classification. it has to be donated. Human Milk 4 human Babies is a great place to start for information about private donation. for the milk banks the milk is released on a priority basis. premmies first and foremost and seeing as the criteria are very strict for the donators, that's about all who received it.

with Private donation it is usually expressed milk you get, wet nursing or shared breastfeeding is very rare and very much an emotional thing. You'd have to be very good friends to agree to do it.

There are also systems to formula feed or even expressed breastmilk feed at the breast. an american one is called a lactaid, medela has the supplemental nursing system, and I think there is another version floating around. There are so many options becoming more main****** now.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiggermum For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

I'd like them to change the classification on breast milk so you could purchase it. Then women with lots of milk and willing to pump would gain by it. Or if you could hire yourself out as a wet-nurse/nanny. This itself was very very common till the advent of formula.

In a way it would give bm a financial value vs "free" thus economically worth nothing.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (23-02-2013),FrothyFrog  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I'd like them to change the classification on breast milk so you could purchase it. Then women with lots of milk and willing to pump would gain by it. Or if you could hire yourself out as a wet-nurse/nanny. This itself was very very common till the advent of formula.

In a way it would give bm a financial value vs "free" thus economically worth nothing.
    how would you know that the wet nurse you hired is not HIV positive? It sounds great in an ideal world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

You would assume that women would have to register to be a wet nurse and would have to undergo testing.. I doubt women would buy breast milk from anyone off the street. If they were to make it a main****** thing, they would have policies in place to ensure that wouldn't happen.