+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

I'm a first time mother, due in may. I really want to breast feed, but it appears that a lot of women give up within the first month.. Would really love to hear your stories on breast feeding... How you got through it, if you did switch to formula.. Why?? Please help...

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

Wiggle you're Toes and the pain disappears in those few days to start with. It's great and rewarding and so bond making with your beautiful baby. Stick with it, is get easier, like clockwork you don't have to think about it, just plug in and away you go. And you get to rest!
    I miss it :-(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chookylaa For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (23-02-2013),sweetsugardumplin'  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum - it never worked for us! DD would pull off screaming - in hindsight I think I had low supply but the 2 lactation consultants I saw couldn't figure it out. So formula for us was a blessing! Once we switched at 6 weeks I could finally bond with my girl and stop stressing (obsessing) about BFing.

Go in with an open mind and give BF a go if you want to. However you end up feeding your bub I'm sure you'll do a great job!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Definitely give it a go! Even if it's only a few days/weeks, it'll only give your bub the best start. Breastfeeding (for me) is stressful due to supply issues so I comp feed but also rewarding, magical and so so wonderful.

I find having to also give a bottle a pain! There's nothing worse than being tired and wanted to go to bed, only to remember you have to wash and sterilize bottles, or waiting for a bottle to be ready for a hungry, impatient baby, having to take enough bottles with you when you go out, formula is expensive etc. obviously it's a personal thing but I hate having to ff! But in saying that it also means I have a happy, healthy growing bub so whatever works. A happy baby is a happy mummy

Thanks
    Reviews

I'm a new mum of just a week but I've been doing a mix of breast feeding, expressing and formula. DD and I struggle with the correct latch and within two days I thought it would be less painful to slice my nipples off with a blunt knife! Still, we're persevering with it in between healing my nipples, and luckily she still will take the boob, but it's more important to me that she's fed, be it direct from the breast, expressing the milk or giving formula. She's gaining the right amount of weight and I'm comfortable with my decision.

Breast milk is best, but if you decide not to do it or you can't, don't let anyone make you second guess yourself or feel guilty - its your baby and you have to do what is right for both of you. Some people can be a bit full on with their views on this but how you feed your child is not up to them. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Breastfeeding experienced vary immensely. Some women are just able to put baby to boob and presto, everything works. Others struggle for months trying to master it.

If you want to breastfeed (and breastmilk is always better for baby than formula) then I suggest you read up on the benefits first then read about the issues that some women face. The ABA website is a good place to start or even here, read through the breastfeeding section and some of the stickies to get a idea of what it's all about.

The most common issues are:
    - incorrect attachment leading that can lead to cracks and grazes on your nipples and pain when feeding
    - attachment pain in the first few weeks (about 30 -60 seconds of pain that can be excruciating but then goes away)
    - baby wanting to feed all the time (and this is normal, a newborn will often feed 12 time a day up to an hour at at time or even longer. Some babies want to feed around the clock, I had one of those)
    - fussy baby that doesn't seem to be satisfied (again this is normal)

Then one day, for what ever reason you give your baby some formula and presto, you have this nice, content baby smiling back at you making it very tempting to switch to formula. A

Breastfeeding for me was one of the most challenging things I have ever done but I am very glad I overcame the obstacles (of which there were above and beyond what most women experience) and took great satisfaction in making it to 18 months before I weaned.

Read read read!

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-02-2013),PinkPopsicle  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I think it is one of those things that you just don't know until you do it. I thought it would be easy. I was so wrong. I had blood, cracks, would cry through each feed in agony. But I couldn't give up, despite everyone telling me to put her on the bottle. Despite the pain, I was blessed with an amazing supply, and a great feeder of a baby. 6 weeks of agony was worth it, we became a great team.
    Second baby, easy as pie! From day one we have had no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews

Plus breast milk isn't THAT much better than formula. Of course it's the natural choice but don't believe the hype about IQ points etc. your bub will thrive on either milk!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

FirstTimeMummy2012  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I exclusively breastfed my first and it was hard work. He was tongue tied and I had one boob that was soooo painful due to vaso-constriction. For five weeks I fed on one side and expressed the other and then fed him on a tube on my finger. It was bloody hard work. I had appointments every few days with a lactation consultant which kept me going. We had a plan for those few days and then I would report to her. It was good to have a plan. In the end I fed him for 13 months ...no formula, no expressed milk... Always the boob. I thought second time would be easier and was determined to do it. However due to some horrible injuries DS2 sustained during and after birth it was very difficult to feed him. I was facing the same issues again and didn't want to be locked in a room expressing for 5 weeks so I made the decision (involved a lot of tears) to formula feed him. The day after I made the decision (he was 5 days old and just of the nasal gastric tube...) I woke up feeling great like the decision was right. If I had woken up feeling bad I would still have time to try again. So anyway my experience has been I have bonded quicker with my bottle fe d baby that with my breastfed baby. They are both happy and healthy. Once breastfeeding was established it was great to know I could go anywhere with the baby and stay as long as I want or keep him quiet by feeding him ... I now have to think ahead more with this one when we go out.

Definately the best advice for breastfeeding I have is to see a lactation consult and try not to let pushy midwives scare you. Some can be quite heartless I found. If you find a good one then try to ask her to come back and see you again. Every midwife has a different way and I found it so overwhelming

14. The Following User Says Thank You to heymegz For This Useful Post:

Mambo  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption

Default Re: Breast feeding vs Formula Feeding??

I was similar to mummaoj, it took 6 wks to get it right with DS1. I am so glad we persevered though through cracked and bleeding nipples, expressing so they would heal and teaching him how to latch correctly. He weaned just after he turned 2.

Get yourself some good support. Someone that knows what you want and will remind you when you want to give up. Also watch videos about attachment and read.

The most important thing is your baby is fed but if you can set yourself up to breastfeed that is great.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub