+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can definitely get 4br rentals for under $400pw around Mandurah and some areas up to Rockingham and also around Bertram (further from beaches - closer to Perth). Mandurah has a big FIFO population, I used to live in Halls Head (Mandurah) and it's mostly nice with good schools, parks etc. There are parts of Mandurah and Rockingham that you would want to avoid. If you so a 'map' search on realestate.com.au you can see where the affordable rentals are.

We've gotten some good value rentals in areas which are coveted by owners but not so much for renters as you need a car to get everywhere. The last place we were in was 4br older (well, WA older = 1970s) on the market for $600k and our rent was $290pw!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week

Default Re: Perth primary schools

The only real problem with Mandurah though is the mosquitoes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    The only real problem with Mandurah though is the mosquitoes.
    Haha, I can think of some worse problems in a few pockets (eg. Forum on pension day) but yes, the mozzies are baaaad!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I live in Tapping, a new suburb near Joondalup with 2 public primary schools (plus a nearby private school). Average rent here is around $500 though. Schools are lovely, near the train line and shopping centres. About 10 mins drive from nearest beach. Rent is the thing that's seriously going to restrict your search, even if you can afford to pay more competition for rental properties is huge. Make sure you come prepared with references. Good luck.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    You can definitely get 4br rentals for under $400pw around Mandurah and some areas up to Rockingham and also around Bertram (further from beaches - closer to Perth).
    Really? 4br in Bertram for under $400?? Id never guess that at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bertram area - possible more Kwinana? Suburbs are so small in Perth compared to Melbourne (where a lot of smaller suburbs have been joined onto nearby suburbs and only old people (like me!) remember when they used to be called something else) I tend to just pick a suburb and call the whole area that suburb -

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From what you have said I would look at beldon, heathridge, craigie or further north. These suburbs are still 5 or so mins drive from beach, not flashiest areas but not bad & rent will be in your budget. They are also about 30 mins from city

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    Bertram area - possible more Kwinana? Suburbs are so small in Perth compared to Melbourne (where a lot of smaller suburbs have been joined onto nearby suburbs and only old people (like me!) remember when they used to be called something else) I tend to just pick a suburb and call the whole area that suburb -
    Yeah Id guess more Kwinana than Bertram. Bertram is all relatively new. I live just next to Bertram and I highly doubt you can get a 4br house there for $400. The next suburb south is Wellard and that is all new or farms. Kwinana is more likely to be under $400 but thats an older, rougher area than Bertram or Wellard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When you do find a suburb you like then check out the Myschool website www.myschool.edu.au/ as it has all the primary and high schools listed and more info such as academic acheivements , special subjects etc.

There is plenty of rentals for $400 even in Bertram you can get a 4x2 fairly new house or otherwise there is reasonably priced townhouses and character homes in the more expensive suburbs. More info @ www.realestate.com.au or www.reiwa.com.au
    SOR is handy if your dh is thinking of tranfering eventually from fifo to a local job too as alot the mining companys have refinerys and plants located from kwinana to bunbury which is along the coast south of Perth.
    I have found the Canning shire (willetton,canning vale,rossmoyne) to be a great location as it is close to the airport and it has good schools for both primary and secondary and low crime rate well in the suburbs i listed anyways and where we live most of our neighbours and friends are fifo or in local mining jobs.
    We also have a bit of a housing boom going on with lots of new suburbs popping up and the houses are still fairly cheap that most ppl buy within 12 months of moving here. Good luck with your move and hope you enjoy it here!
    There is also a page on FaceBook called Perth WA Crime Reports which might help weed out a few of the less desirable suburbs from your list
    Last edited by lulu 2; 24-02-2013 at 11:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    Yeah Id guess more Kwinana than Bertram. Bertram is all relatively new. I live just next to Bertram and I highly doubt you can get a 4br house there for $400. The next suburb south is Wellard and that is all new or farms. Kwinana is more likely to be under $400 but thats an older, rougher area than Bertram or Wellard.
    Yup, quick looks on realestate.com.au and there are a couple in Bertram and lots in Kwinana - so they are around.

OP it does depend on what you like as well, you say a newer house but do you like all-new areas? Perth has heaps of them and for me, I get very claustrophobic in the very new estates (even just visiting a friend my heart rate goes up - lol).