+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    After replying to this thread over a month ago about not having work I now am working 3/4 casual days a week.
    There has been some really good advice here but honestly you are only expected to be there half an hour before school starts, you only need to survive the first 2 hours then you have lunch/recess etc to organise yourself. If I haven't had a chance to go over the day plan I always start with independent reading or partner reading for younger ones, this gives you a good 10mins or more to prepare first lesson. I travel 50mins and they know sometimes if they call that morning I may be 15 - 30mins late but majority of the time they call at 6:30am.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mummyrissa For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (23-03-2013),loveshack  (23-03-2013),River Song  (22-03-2013),wannawannabe  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblena View Post
    I am sorry to hear this too.

What suburb in melb are you actually in and which suburbs are you actually willing to travel to? That info may help us in suggesting specificschools.

It could also be your selection criteria for schools - have you had any PD on what to write? I am happy to look at your key selection criteria responses if need be.

I also agree that you should consider expanding the zone you look at, but if I know the suburbs we are talking about, maybe some of us could suggest schools that we know are looking.

As a primary trained person have you considered applying for schools that have yr 7? They are often looking for primary people to be in their program as kids can be working at lower levels and they like the primary expertise.
    I live in the south east, around the Wantirna area. I'm looking for CRT work, so just been dropping my cv and a cover letter.

Quote Originally Posted by mummyrissa View Post
    After replying to this thread over a month ago about not having work I now am working 3/4 casual days a week.
    There has been some really good advice here but honestly you are only expected to be there half an hour before school starts, you only need to survive the first 2 hours then you have lunch/recess etc to organise yourself. If I haven't had a chance to go over the day plan I always start with independent reading or partner reading for younger ones, this gives you a good 10mins or more to prepare first lesson. I travel 50mins and they know sometimes if they call that morning I may be 15 - 30mins late but majority of the time they call at 6:30am.
    3-4 days in Term 1? Wow that's really lucky!

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think you need to approach schools in the Cranbourne, Narre, Berwick area, as well as Mooroolbark, Bayswater and in the Dandenong mountains. It is further than your current 10 km, but is against the traffic. I would even suggest Lilydale as a possibility. As these school are further out, they sometimes struggle to get crts. Also try secondary schools because if they need a teacher desperately, it doesn't matter your methods.

I used to live in Boronia and would have seen all these school as within a 'local' enough area.

There are also primary schools in the hills that are lovely, and if you get in as a part of their standard crt base, you should do well. - The Patch, Ferny Creek, Sassafras, Olinda, Emerald, The Basin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblena For This Useful Post:

babyla  (23-03-2013),loveshack  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG i could have written this post. I completed a Masters in Primary education at MelbUni thinking i could easily find work but nope! I sent out 100's of applications when i graduated in 2011, couldnt get anything did CRT, got pregnant and now my girl is 1 and im looking to see what is out there but it is depressing! Having a child makes it hard coz u have to put them into childcare, and if u dont called in for CRT work u have to pay for those days - also travelling out rural is not an option. I am thinking of getting into early childhood teaching and becoming a kinder teacher because i see SOO many jobs for that posted - does anyone know if there is much work in that? It is so frustrating having to study more to get paid less! I hope things work out for you x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you need to approach schools in the Cranbourne, Narre, Berwick area, as well as Mooroolbark, Bayswater and in the Dandenong mountains. It is further than your current 10 km, but is against the traffic. I would even suggest Lilydale as a possibility. As these school are further out, they sometimes struggle to get crts. Also try secondary schools because if they need a teacher desperately, it doesn't matter your methods.

I used to live in Boronia and would have seen all these school as within a 'local' enough area.

There are also primary schools in the hills that are lovely, and if you get in as a part of their standard crt base, you should do well. - The Patch, Ferny Creek, Sassafras, Olinda, Emerald, The Basin
    Great tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thank you for that. I'll check out schools in these areas

Quote Originally Posted by minniemarta View Post
    OMG i could have written this post. I completed a Masters in Primary education at MelbUni thinking i could easily find work but nope! I sent out 100's of applications when i graduated in 2011, couldnt get anything did CRT, got pregnant and now my girl is 1 and im looking to see what is out there but it is depressing! Having a child makes it hard coz u have to put them into childcare, and if u dont called in for CRT work u have to pay for those days - also travelling out rural is not an option. I am thinking of getting into early childhood teaching and becoming a kinder teacher because i see SOO many jobs for that posted - does anyone know if there is much work in that? It is so frustrating having to study more to get paid less! I hope things work out for you x
    Yeah I seem to find plenty of kinder ads on job websites as well. You could speak to a local kinder teacher, they would be able to give you more info.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have heaps of friends who did education and couldn't get jobs. Some of them are still doing casual teaching in the vain hope something more permanent will come along, but most of them have given up and gone into other industries.

It seems to be similar in other industries too - I've got a degree which i never used for the same reason and after two years of working in a shop & applying for jobs non-stop I gave up and went to tafe, and got a job one month after finishing my course.

Good luck with your job-hunting!