+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wannawannabe View Post

You might just have to do a 30-60 minute commute for a year or so to get a job. This is a reasonable commute for many people across Australia in metropolitan areas.

I guess it really comes down to how bad do you want a teaching job? Is getting a teaching job worth a 40 minute commute one way each day to you? If you're not willing to commute an hour for a job that you've spent at least 4 years at uni training for, then perhaps it's time to figure out a new path of employment.

It's a harsh reality, you don't have the luxury of being picky anymore sorry.
    Wow that's really judging people!
    A standard commute of 30-60 mins. is when you know where you work, what job you're doing and how long you've been going there.
    It doesn't apply to casual relief work unless you have been to the school before and are familiar with routines and things. My line of thought was- if I get a call at 7am, I drop off one of my kids and ask DH to drop the other and try and arrive at the school early. DH travels a lot so I need to drop off both kids when he's unavailable. All this planning is not knowing whether I'll receive a call in the first place.
    My reason for being around the '30 mins.' travel mark was so that I arrive at the school by 8-8.15, familiarize myself with the teacher's lesson plans, do necessary photocopying and stuff, etc. and mainly, doing something worth what I'll be paid for.
    How bad do I want to teach-I did the one year primary Grad Dip. full time when my kids were 5 and 2. It involved a lot of sacrifices and hard work for e.g. studying in the garage at night because my 2 year old wouldn't leave me alone. Of course studies involve hard work but what I find disappointing is that a lot of us students somehow got the impression that we would be very much in demand and it wouldn't be too hard to find work. It was only in my practicum when the Principal mentioned she had received over a 100 applications for one position that I was shocked.
    Some of us have found work and others are doing other things. Try searching on the net for something similar and see the number of responses that come up.
    Last edited by loveshack; 21-03-2013 at 21:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Of course studies involve hard work but what I find disappointing is that a lot of us students somehow got the impression that we would be very much in demand and it wouldn't be too hard to find work.
    The over supply of graduate teachers has been happening for at least 5 years, especially in primary school teaching - this is nothing new.

Sorry if I came across judging, but I'm sick of reading on Facebook ffrom nursing/mid grads complaining about how lucky I am to have a job and how it sucks that don't, even though i had to move 2000km to get it and they don't even want to look within 100km. So I guess it's a touchy and frustrating subject, as I'm watching my friends destroy their careers before they even start them, simply because they're not willing to leave their comfort zone.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

αληθη  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:00.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 21:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    lots of CRT work is booked in advance, so it is def worth looking further than 10 minutes away.

I am currently studying primary ed and I am aware there is currently an oversupply...but, there are loads of jobs still available.

How is your CV? Does it show personality, have you provided links to work?

Many times, you have to be less picky to get your foot in the door...i know my ideal will be part time, but, I also know that I will more than likely take full time contracts to start with while I am building my reputation.

It is about how much you want it and what you are willing to do to get it. I don't think saying that is judging you...i think it is fact. You can either make a list of reasons why it won't work or you can find solutions to those. You have your "ideal world" list...and that has not come to pass right now...so you need to look at more options even if they don't meet your ideal.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (22-03-2013),wannawannabe  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything Regina said - I've typically had many more pre-arranged relief days than 8am calls (which you can say no to or explain that you cannot get there until eg. 9am). It's definitely about getting your foot in the door.

Great advice on having a 'ready work' folder. Mine is clearly marked with junior/middle/upper maths/english/other. Also I have a sheet with 'morning fitness' ideas (requiring little/no equipment) so I don't have to think on the run. Great to have on hand if you turn up and there is NOTHING there for you and you need a bit of thinking time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The oversupply sucks hope something works out for you soon OP. my DH also did a Grad Dip Education and he got one job offer at the end- 3000 km away. And that is with him being a secondary teacher in a supposedly high demand area! We were able to move for him to take the job, but so many other people can't.

Keep applying! I heard from another teacher friend that schools generally need more supply teachers in terms 2&3, when sick leave is at its highest and teachers need to be off on excursions, school camps etc. and as I think someone said apply directly to schools too - you never know when someone might go on maternity leave or sick leave or something! Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post

good luck with your searching, I really hope you do find something that fits with what you are looking for.
    Thanks, I guess I just have to keep trying for as long as I financially, physically and mentally can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry to hear you're not having any luck loveshack. Please don't give up and I think Regina has given some excellent advice. Sometimes you might need to travel further afield to get some experience - you probably won't always have to travel far but think of it as a means to an end.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (22-03-2013)

Oblena is offline I've done it in public and I'll do it again - I don't care who sees!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sorry to hear this too.

What suburb in melb are you actually in and which suburbs are you actually willing to travel to? That info may help us in suggesting specificschools.

It could also be your selection criteria for schools - have you had any PD on what to write? I am happy to look at your key selection criteria responses if need be.

I also agree that you should consider expanding the zone you look at, but if I know the suburbs we are talking about, maybe some of us could suggest schools that we know are looking.

As a primary trained person have you considered applying for schools that have yr 7? They are often looking for primary people to be in their program as kids can be working at lower levels and they like the primary expertise.