+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:31.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

sweetsugardumplin'  (21-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:30.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Gongmummy  (28-02-2013),αληθη  (28-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblena View Post
    How are you going OP? Have you popped in to see schools?

How far out are you able to go?
    Getting back to this thread, I've dropped my cv at a few schools within 10km from where I live. However, I've not heard back from anyone. When I asked to see the AP, I've had both positive and negative replies. Anyway, when I called back the schools to check, they said that they usually call up teachers from their own group of CRTs and it's usually term 2 or 3 when casual work becomes available to new teachers. I've also heard of retired teachers who are back working casually with their own schools.
    Applied at 3-4 CRT agencies as well, they all said they received massive responses and have enough teachers and are only considering people for future work.
    Thing is, DD2's in daycare and Centrelink won't cover me for long while I 'look for work'. So in this sense, it doesn't make sense financially to volunteer; one day a week is probably fine. As I don't have much time left to find work I've decided to wait until maybe mid-term 2 and then probably switch to some other line of work/study something else. A lot of people who studied with me had school-age kids so they wouldn't mind volunteering while they wait to find jobs.
    Anyway, bottom line is I'm disillusioned. Might give a piece of my mind to the uni as well. Find out if there are jobs before you take students!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can you look further away? 10km doesn't sound very far.... I think you'll need to try for more than a few schools sorry.

I guess the uni can't really predict what the job market will be in in 4 years time. We had 100% employment for our Midwifery program since it started 5 years ago, until the qld government switched 2 months before we graduated and axed hundreds of jobs last year. We only had 30 people graduate but there's still at least a third that don't have positions yet (mainly because they refuse to go regional) but no one could have possibly predicted the massive job cuts when we started the degree
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 21-03-2013 at 00:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with spreading out further. I'm regional, my local school is 'just' 6ks from home - so my perspective is a little different, but even in the suburbs 10ks is not that big a range. Also try to find out which schools are 'hard to staff' - these will generally be tough schools to work in, but you will be more likely to get work (and you learn a LOT on the job). I moved away from my last school to a nicer area and have only had 1 call about work - because the school is so freaking nice the teachers don't get stressed/sick! My old school (hard to staff) is begging me to come in and do days for them they need relief teachers that much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    I agree with spreading out further. I'm regional, my local school is 'just' 6ks from home - so my perspective is a little different, but even in the suburbs 10ks is not that big a range. Also try to find out which schools are 'hard to staff' - these will generally be tough schools to work in, but you will be more likely to get work (and you learn a LOT on the job). I moved away from my last school to a nicer area and have only had 1 call about work - because the school is so freaking nice the teachers don't get stressed/sick! My old school (hard to staff) is begging me to come in and do days for them they need relief teachers that much!
    Well schools that are around 10 km away take 20-30 mins. to get to in peak morning traffic. I'm not sure if I should be committing to schools farther away, especially considering those 'early morning' calls that a lot of teachers get. How do I find out which schools are 'hard to staff'?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you considered putting your name down at places like the schools found within children's hospitals, juvenile detention facilities and the isolated and distance education centres? Depending on your state you could also tap into migrant and aboriginal tutoring programmes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loveshack View Post
    Well schools that are around 10 km away take 20-30 mins. to get to in peak morning traffic. I'm not sure if I should be committing to schools farther away, especially considering those 'early morning' calls that a lot of teachers get.
    If you had to start at 7am as opposed to 9am, then you'd be missing peak hour?

You might just have to do a 30-60 minute commute for a year or so to get a job. This is a reasonable commute for many people across Australia in metropolitan areas.

I guess it really comes down to how bad do you want a teaching job? Is getting a teaching job worth a 40 minute commute one way each day to you? If you're not willing to commute an hour for a job that you've spent at least 4 years at uni training for, then perhaps it's time to figure out a new path of employment.

It's a harsh reality, you don't have the luxury of being picky anymore sorry.
    Last edited by wannawannabe; 21-03-2013 at 18:53.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-03-2013),αληθη  (21-03-2013),Mysurprisebaby  (23-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:00.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

loveshack  (22-03-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in WA, so not sure on how to find out about which schools are hard to staff there (you are in Vic?). Word of mouth is quite useful and it's generally schools with a reputation for being a bit rough.

I agree that if you live metro then you would expect a long commute - especially if trying to establish yourself. I used to live in Melbourne, working in a different field back then, but 1hr travel to work was pretty standard unless I wanted to work at the local supermarket.