+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd recommend just leaving it and seeing what people come up with. I got some awesome things I never would have thought of but use everyday (a porcelain bear night light which is just so beautiful is just one of them). If you get anything you don't want you can always eBay it and buy what you want

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Amiedoll For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default How to avoid receiving unwanted gifts

I would advise your sister of what you do want/need. Many people usually ask the host if there is anything particular needed. There's no guarantee everything you receive is wanted, but will hopefully help.

Otherwise state 'no gifts' if it means that much to you. You can't really have it both ways, want them to buy something useful, but has to be to your taste - unless you do a registry.

As for the PP that gave away books with LO only 4mths I think? I'm surprised at that! I agree with others, books are a fabulous gift. My DS 18mths is only now starting to read many of those received at birth, but it's the 'gift that keeps giving'. He loves them and will for ages now.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would either say registry or no gifts, or ask people to help you get a specific thing - say you have a pram or cot on layby, maybe people can pay some off that. But I am sorry to tell you, you are going to end up with heaps of stuff you didn't ask for.

matalee is offline The greater the fight, the greater the victory
    Thanks
    Reviews

I was in a similar position to you when I had my baby shower. My hosts put on the invitation as a little side note that space was limited & please keep this in mind when buying gifts but that your company is more important than a gift so gifts aren't expected, words to that affect anyway. Then I wrote a list of what I wanted & the host gave people some ideas of things to buy if they were asked. We received such wonderful useful things & mostly received gift vouchers or cash. I really did just want people to enjoy the shower & wasn't expecting so much from my beautiful friends.

Thanks
    Reviews

You could set up a gift registry... I think Baby Kingdom has it. You'll still get unwanted gifts though. People bring gifts even after your baby shower. DH and I have a big box that we fill with toys, clothes etc. We keep the tags on the clothes and when somebody has a baby, we fill a gift box or gift bag & pass the clothes onto them. People have the habit of buying winter clothes that your baby will fit into in summer, and vise versa. My mums friend had a baby boy a few weeks ago & she came over, grabbed a bunch of things from our gift box and filled up a gift bag.
    We live in a unit as well so I can completely understand what it feels like to have limited space.

Thanks
    Reviews

And if there are clothes you don't like, you can always hand them over to charities : )

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes it kinda feels wasteful getting unwanted/needed gifts, but that's what happens I guess. you can regift them to others, but maybe the gift giver may be unhappy, who knows?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another idea- pop on the invite that in lieu of gifts you would like people to make a small donation to a charity, perhaps a baby related charity like miracle babies, heart kids etc etc.

I also like the books idea. Books are great, we still read ones that my son was given when he was born, and he is 5!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I agree with providing a list to your sister. I also received summer outfits for my winter bubs but she wore heaps of the onesies under winter clothes. Just in case you hadn't thought of this