+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How to avoid receiving unwanted gifts

Hi everyone,

We are expecting our first bub and very excited.

We live in a small apartment and don't have much space, and because I'm so excited, I've already done lots of research on exactly which products/clothes/decor etc that would work best for us. I REALLY hate clutter (my mum had a messy house) and I hate having things that we don't use.

My sister is throwing me a baby shower and I am worrying that people will give me gifts that I don't need or like. What is the best way to deal with this? I don't want to be ungrateful. Ideally we could have a gift registry or ask for vouchers but I know that this is considered rude.

I hate the idea of people giving us lovely things that we don't need, when other people have nothing.

It has already started - people have started giving me clothes that I know I won't use because they're summer clothes and he's a winter bub.

What can I do? We actually would appreciate gifts as there is a lot of stuff we need, I just want it to be the specific things that we need (I know this sounds really fussy but I am just trying not to be wasteful - what is the point in me buying the nappy bag that is right for me, then being given another one that is not right and it just sitting in a cupboard?).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think there is anything you can do about it without offending people. I would just be very thankful, and then discretely donate the items you can't use to either a friend that can use them or to charity.

People love buying for babies, I was absolutely astounded at the sheer volume of presents we were given for both our DDs (especially DD1).

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Re: How to avoid receiving unwanted gifts

I would honestly just say no gifts if you have specific ideas of what you want.

I got lots of small things for my baby shower- one person got a rattle, another a board book, another a lovely bamboo wrap, small outfits etc. I have a small apartment too, and people were conscious of that. So the other thing you could do is limit each guest to something small and inexpensive (say $10-20)

Thanks
    Reviews

I would love a gift registry if buying a present. I always struggle as you never know what people already have. Especially if the gender is unknown. I think it's nicer than asking for vouchers.
    I never had a baby shower but instead was inundated with presents at the hospital. DS got a giant bear which is so impractical as I have no where to store it. We got so many baby books, duplicate outfits in the same sizes, like 20 teddy bears etc. DS is only 4 months and I've given away 3 large bags of bears, books, photo frames etc.
    I think either asking for no gifts or a registry is great. I would still want to buy for someone who said no gifts.
    Just be sure to include a variety of items with varied prices

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there anything in particular you do need? For example, if you wanted to use them, you suggest to people they get you a cloth nappy to help build a stash. You could write that on the invites... Then again, cloth nappies is the only thing I can see that working for! Actually, in another thread someone said they were only asking for books, which would be nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would try and come up with things that don't need to be specific to your taste, like... singlets, face washers, nappies etc. Or maybe you could choose one big item like a pram and ask everyone to put in??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: How to avoid receiving unwanted gifts

At my baby shower I hadn't bought any cot sheets or blankets so thats what I asked for could u do something like that. Or maybe just ask foe essentials like nappies, wipes, bibs, cotton tips, cream, lotion stuff that will get used and you need. Also the book idea is a great one, I asked for books as presents for dd 2nd bday as we have Sooooo many toys but she loves stories and book collections are for life. I still have mine from when I was young

Sent from my GT-I9300T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Or people could chip in some money towards a big item you need, like your pram, if you feel comfortable with that. You could ask your sister if she could let people know and see if they want to, so it doesn't feel like you're asking for money (thats what I'd do anyway).

Thanks
    Reviews

As PPs have said ask each guest to choose their favourite childhood book as a present.

I had a surprise baby shower. I didn't need anything, but oddly what people did get me I used heaps. Don't assume you know better than the present giver.

In the end your lucky people are giving a present at all, just just be thankful they want to choose something.

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews

Accept the gift with graciousness and many thanks and then give it to St Vinnies or something if you're concerned about receiving things that you don't want or like when other's have nothing.
    It's pretty simple really. If you have anxieties about clutter, don't leave the things you don't want or like lying around. Donate them.

But if you think that having a registry is rude, you're pretty much out of luck on how to get people to give you things that you want.