+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Did you even read my reply? Am beginning to think I wasted my time.
    I did. I'm not sure why you are being so rude to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Give up Sonja. I certainly have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    I did. I'm not sure why you are being so rude to me
    How I am being rude to you?? I replied to R&A and you leapt in and basically said doing RE involves colouring in pictures of Jesus. I found that rude so you clarified. I went to the trouble of giving you a long explanation of what I did in RE (because you seemed to genuinely want to know). You didn't even acknowledge it. Maybe I just treat these things differently but if I ask someone to engage with me on this forum I always acknowledge the reply, even if I don't agree with it. You seem to have just restated your original position, which is why I asked why I bothered.

I am not being rude at all. I still don't know why you asked in the first place if you weren't interested in the reply.

I don't really care what goes on at catholic schools. I went to one and have no intention of sending my kids to a catholic school for many reasons. But if parents want their kids to learn RE at a catholic school why would it bother you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Give up Sonja. I certainly have.
    Now I will

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    How I am being rude to you?? I replied to R&A and you leapt in and basically said doing RE involves colouring in pictures of Jesus. I found that rude so you clarified. I went to the trouble of giving you a long explanation of what I did in RE (because you seemed to genuinely want to know). You didn't even acknowledge it. Maybe I just treat these things differently but if I ask someone to engage with me on this forum I always acknowledge the reply, even if I don't agree with it. You seem to have just restated your original position, which is why I asked why I bothered.

I am not being rude at all. I still don't know why you asked in the first place if you weren't interested in the reply.

I don't really care what goes on at catholic schools. I went to one and have no intention of sending my kids to a catholic school for many reasons. But if parents want their kids to learn RE at a catholic school why would it bother you?
    I didn't 'leap in' ? That wasn't even a comment to you or anyone so I don't know why you took it personally. This is open to everyone to write in so I shouldn't have to be told not to say somthing because *you* were having a discussion with someone else, I really don't understand what made you think I leapt in and said that to you?
    Yes I did ask and you explained and I aknowledged it by saying thank you straight after you wrote it, you have a Thanks by me underneath it?

My answer after that was also in response to the teacher who quoted me, so I wasn't just talking to you but in general about what I think. Which ofcourse doesn't change just because people are explaining what they learnt in primary school, I wanted to explain I also learnt as a child, but how I feel about religion and children now is this..... ^^
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't understand or aknowledge what you are saying. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I obviously view religion quite differently, this doesn't mean I'm wrong. Which is specifically why I said I didn't want to debate it, I did want to discuss it. You guys obviously don't by saying 'don't waste your time' which I find incredibaly rude, I'm not stupid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

What do you do as a 7year old? Colour in pictures of Jesus? That's not learning about religion.
    As a 7 year old, what I learned was to lie at confession because we were forced to go!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    As a 7 year old, what I learned was to lie at confession because we were forced to go!
    I loathed confession as a concept. It was one of the reasons I refused to be confirmed. Our priest at our parish wound up in jail. Wonder how often he went to confession?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I didn't 'leap in' ? That wasn't even a comment to you or anyone so I don't know why you took it personally. This is open to everyone to write in so I shouldn't have to be told not to say somthing because *you* were having a discussion with someone else, I really don't understand what made you think I leapt in and said that to you?
    Yes I did ask and you explained and I aknowledged it by saying thank you straight after you wrote it, you have a Thanks by me underneath it?

My answer after that was also in response to the teacher who quoted me, so I wasn't just talking to you but in general about what I think. Which ofcourse doesn't change just because people are explaining what they learnt in primary school, I wanted to explain I also learnt as a child, but how I feel about religion and children now is this..... ^^
    Just because I don't agree with you doesn't mean I don't understand or aknowledge what you are saying. I'm not asking anyone to agree with me, I obviously view religion quite differently, this doesn't mean I'm wrong. Which is specifically why I said I didn't want to debate it, I did want to discuss it. You guys obviously don't by saying 'don't waste your time' which I find incredibaly rude, I'm not stupid.
    Fair point. There was no "thanks" when I did my reply.

I still don't really understand why it bothers people if kids do RE at a religious school. I dislike intensely many aspects of RE but the bible exists and I appreciated that for a few years of my life I learned about it. My mother is agnostic and challenged much if what I was told in school. Maybe I was lucky as I didn't take it all as "gospel" truth.

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post
    I think comparing religion to racism is a bit of a leap.
    No one is comparing racism to religion, just the indoctrination of children into strong belief systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    in Primary school they pretty much get told the cool bible stories, ( Noah, Jonah and the Whale, Joseph and his dream coat and the popular Jesus stories and parables) ...
    See I always thought the Noah and the Arc story was really rather sad and scary. All I could think about was those poor animals being drowned, the little fluffy kittens and puppy dogs drowning. The helpless babies, children, elderly all being drowned. Really, was everyone so bad and evil they all deserved to be drowned? Surely God should have intervened earlier than resolve the situation by just drowning everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    I don't understand why people have so little faith in their children to be able to think critically when given different information. I don't believe kids are dumb, if they come home sprouting off about how God loves them blah blah blah, don't you use that as a teaching opportunity, to say to your children, 'yes some people believe that, but I think its a load of rubbish for this, this and this reason?' People say they are happy to let their child choose, yet are livid at their child being exposed to ANY type of religious (I should say 'Christian', because people generally don't feel as angry abut other religions) talk, even from other kids in the playground. There is all this talk of indoctrination, yet people telling their kids definitively that there is NO God, is exactly the same as the people telling their kids that there IS.

Anyway, I wouldn't really care if RE was scrapped, I quite like my kids doing it but really wouldn't make a huge difference to me either way. I just don't understand all the anger over it (except in cases like this Sassy, which I agree is unacceptable and I would complain for sure).

Not interested in a debate but just wanted to say my piece
    I don't think children are stupid but they are hard wired as part of evolution to believe what they have been told, especially by figures of authority.

In reference to indoctrination, my children are only 2 and 5 at the moment and neither of them have a concept of deities or religion. As I stated before, when they start to ask questions I will explain difference beliefs as objectively as I can. I'm not going to tell them what we believe. If DD or DS asks me if there is a god I will turn the question around and ask them "well what do you think?". This is very different to raising a child in religion ABC and but saying that they are free to chose a religion or not of their own. Whilst they might be free they have been bought up to believe all the tenets and belief systems of religion ABC to explain the world around them. This is a very difficult thing to abandon.

For the record if my children decide when they are an adult to follow a religion then I would support them because I know they have made the choice as an adult and it has not been 'bred' into them.

There is an old Jesuit saying "give me a boy until he is 7 and I will give you the man".

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (22-02-2013),Benji  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by Annabella View Post
    Sassy, I too would be very angry if that were my child. Our school has an opt-in policy which I think works far better, and I think probably what happened to your DD was an admin mistake rather than any underhanded tactics by the RE teacher.

My kids do RE, I was brought up in a Christian household but stopped going to church when I was 11-12. I have never lost my faith in God, but I don't really feel comfortable in any churches and don't really participate in organised religion as such.

I dunno if my kids are just extremely gifted , but they DO question what they are taught, they come home and ask me how we KNOW God is real, they tell me that so-and-so said God isn't real etc, and I am quite comfortable explaining that many people don't believe in God as there is no 'proof' of his existence, but that I truly believe, and its up to them what they choose to believe. They can choose not to do RE if they want. They will one day learn the theory of evolution or whatever it is, and I'm pretty sure it will be taught as fact in Science, and I'm fine with that. I want my kids to be exposed to many different ways of thinking, and to decide for themselves as they get older. We have decided not to baptise them for this reason- so they can decide for themselves what they want to believe.

I don't understand why people have so little faith in their children to be able to think critically when given different information. I don't believe kids are dumb, if they come home sprouting off about how God loves them blah blah blah, don't you use that as a teaching opportunity, to say to your children, 'yes some people believe that, but I think its a load of rubbish for this, this and this reason?' People say they are happy to let their child choose, yet are livid at their child being exposed to ANY type of religious (I should say 'Christian', because people generally don't feel as angry abut other religions) talk, even from other kids in the playground. There is all this talk of indoctrination, yet people telling their kids definitively that there is NO God, is exactly the same as the people telling their kids that there IS.

Anyway, I wouldn't really care if RE was scrapped, I quite like my kids doing it but really wouldn't make a huge difference to me either way. I just don't understand all the anger over it (except in cases like this Sassy, which I agree is unacceptable and I would complain for sure).

Not interested in a debate but just wanted to say my piece
    I don't think people have an issue with exposure to Christian beliefs. For me, and others I'm sure, it's the fact that Christianity is usually the only (or atleast the main) religion that is taught in public schools and in a factual way rather than teaching the beliefs of all of the different religions to the whole class. If your child is Christian, for example, why is it necessary for them to have specific lessons about it in school? Specific religion classes (about only one religion) should be left for the parents to implement out of school hours.
    *I'm only referring to the public school system*