+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I disagree with your thoughts about teaching religion at primary school. Whilst I agree PUBLIC schools should be completely secular - PRIVATE schools that are religious based - catholic, Anglican, Islamic or Jewish etc should have classes and as many as they wish.

If I'm paying private school fees to send my girls to a catholic school - then they will learn about God and our faith.

Children can learn about bible stories, cultural traditions and morality from a young age. Scripture is important - it's in the delivery that counts. Qualified teachers that have the skills/materials to do so.

I would rather my children skip sport than skip scripture. But then I will be sending them to a Private school

Sassy - let it rip to the school/principal/ teacher. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    I think it's ridiculous RE is taught in primary school at all, let alone at a public school with no common faith. How much is the church paying the government to do this? And why primary school kids? They don't understand it, no child does, not even adults understand or agree on theology
    So what is the point of children learning this? Like what could they possibly be teaching them? I have no issue with peoples beliefs and what they do at home, what church they attend and who they pray to, but school is about english, maths, science, sport. Not scripture, they're not at Sunday school and it's not 1813.
    What is the government thinking allowing young minds waste their time at school with this when we're so behind in basic numeracy and literacy skills? Our education system is behind, is our government that desperate for money they're allowing anyone in our schools to teach rubbish because they can't afford to educate our kids properly?
    As a parent with 2 kids about to start school it's very concerning. I'll be sending my kids to school with a book each and they can read or colour in while their peers are being taught something that means abosultely nothing in the grand scheme of their education.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaShanty View Post
    Oh God (no pun intended), this thread brings up some very old and still-traumatising memories for me...

I went to a run-of-the-mill public school, at which each child had to specify which religion they were so they could be segregated into appropriate classes when it came time for RE lessons - ie Catholic kids went into one room to be taught by some elderly folk from the local Catholic church, and so forth. My problem was that I was the only child who wasn't baptised and whose migrant parents, despite believing in God themselves but having different religions, couldn't agree on the subject, so I had 'no religion'.
    Very similar to me, only it was about 35 years ago for me
    RE was on Tuesday afternoons, everyone in the school was divided up into denominations, and then there was a room for those that didn't have a religion, which was usually just me and my brother in a school of 700+! For what it's worth I never felt excluded or missing out though.
    I do remember in Grade 4 for some reason I got included in some RE class and the teacher asked how many of us went to church regularly. I'd never been to church in my life so I didn't put my hand up. The teacher was quite scathing and said words to the effect that we had negligent parents if they were not taking us to church regularly. I was really cross, I knew I had good parents and I didn't see why them not taking me to church made them terrible parents. I only told my mother about that a couple of years ago and despite it happening in 1979 I could still see her getting angry!

Anyone who knows me knows that I am of the opinion that children should not be taught religion as fact, regardless if it is private or public school because I believe that teaching children religion as fact is indoctrination.

To date my DS has no concept of deities or religion. When he asks I will provide information as objectively as possible. (For the record I'm currently reading a book that summarises the beliefs of Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Sikhism and Buddhism).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    I disagree with your thoughts about teaching religion at primary school. Whilst I agree PUBLIC schools should be completely secular - PRIVATE schools that are religious based - catholic, Anglican, Islamic or Jewish etc should have classes and as many as they wish.

If I'm paying private school fees to send my girls to a catholic school - then they will learn about God and our faith.

Children can learn about bible stories, cultural traditions and morality from a young age. Scripture is important - it's in the delivery that counts. Qualified teachers that have the skills/materials to do so.

I would rather my children skip sport than skip scripture. But then I will be sending them to a Private school

Sassy - let it rip to the school/principal/ teacher. Good luck!
    No offence but your child isn't learning anything about scripture, a child is too young to understand what it means. Ask your child a verse in the bible and to explain it to you, do you think a 7year old can? A teenager will struggle let alone a child. I'm sorry but it's a waste of thousands of dollars of school fees just for the fact they have a half hour re class every week (if thats why your paying private)
    If your religious, go to church, take your kids every Sunday if it's more important than sport or anything else, read them the bible instead of a book to bed everynight, make them pray. It doesn't need to be at school. What a waste of time, school is for learning what you don't learn at home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

No offence but your child isn't learning anything about scripture, a child is too young to understand what it means. Ask your child a verse in the bible and to explain it to you, do you think a 7year old can? A teenager will struggle let alone a child. I'm sorry but it's a waste of thousands of dollars of school fees just for the fact they have a half hour re class every week (if thats why your paying private)
    If your religious, go to church, take your kids every Sunday if it's more important than sport or anything else, read them the bible instead of a book to bed everynight, make them pray. It doesn't need to be at school. What a waste of time, school is for learning what you don't learn at home.
    I disagree but will not go into it further as it will derail the thread.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

risfaerie  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We'll agree to disagree we all have our own views on this stuff

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be furious as well. Whether I agree with you or not, you obviously made the decision for a reason and it sounds like it wasn't just a tick of a box decision- it was a well thought out reason. I also think telling a child that someone (let alone their parents) are going to hell for any reason is horrible. My goodness- I'm a grown adult and I'd be upset if someone said that about my parents. My son does go to religion/scripture and if he were told this- I would be upset and it was not what I was taught.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I agree with you. I am now an atheist but had 7 years at a Catholic primary school and was taught in very great detail about the bible. I have very clear memories about what we learned. It didn't adversely affect me and as I grew older I questioned what I had learned, became interested in other religions but then settled on atheism.

Sorry not trying to derail this thread but I think RE at school can actually teach kids a lot (no idea at a public school as we don't have it at my kids' state school). But if I wanted them to learn about the bible I would send them to a religious school. As I don't I send them to a state school.

For me it's more about the fact the school went against a parent's express wishes, regardless of the specifics. But I understand why you'd be more upset in this case.

As for concepts of hell, most of that comes from other kids in the playground not from teachers. DD1 has already talked about hell and she told me kids talk about it at school.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I agree with you. I am now an atheist but had 7 years at a Catholic primary school and was taught in very great detail about the bible. I have very clear memories about what we learned. It didn't adversely affect me and as I grew older I questioned what I had learned, became interested in other religions but then settled on atheism.

Sorry not trying to derail this thread but I think RE at school can actually teach kids a lot (no idea at a public school as we don't have it at my kids' state school). But if I wanted them to learn about the bible I would send them to a religious school. As I don't I send them to a state school.

For me it's more about the fact the school went against a parent's express wishes, regardless of the specifics. But I understand why you'd be more upset in this case.

As for concepts of hell, most of that comes from other kids in the playground not from teachers. DD1 has already talked about hell and she told me kids talk about it at school.
    Maybe someone can start another thread about this.
    But I had to comment on your post because you proved *to me* that as a child you didn't understand what you were learning. You said as you grew older you questioned it, it can only be questioned if you don't understand what it means, what is this story of the bible saying, why do we believe this or that? You can recite anything as a child, but children don't have the capacity to question and religion, true faith requires questioning and a deep personal look within, it's not generic because you become lost as an adult if you never learn to question it.

The bible is complicated, it has varied meanings, its the reason there are so many christian groups and interpretations.
    Some many people were baptised or went to a religious school and end up questioning their faith and what they were taught when they're teens and adults. It has no place in primary schools (in my opinion) It should stay at home or church were you're present and are influencing their beliefs and then at a religious school as a subject in highschool. In primary school I feel it's a waste of time if a child isn't understanding what they're being taught.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you do as a 7year old? Colour in pictures of Jesus? That's not learning about religion.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    What do you do as a 7year old? Colour in pictures of Jesus? That's not learning about religion.
    Condescending much?

Not really interested in debating you if that's how you choose to argue.