+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I would be furious too, I remember my mum not allowing RE classes in primary school due to the way in which it was taught strictly a Christian view on everything.
    I then went to a catholic all girls high school (my choice) however opted out of catholic RE classes for 'world wide RE' where we about all sorts of belief systems and cultures including Buddhism, Muslims, orthodox, Mormons, brethrens etc. I thoroughly enjoyed it. However at 7 I wouldn't have been able to understand it. Nor would I have understood why my parents were supposed to go to hell for having me out of wedlock like the primary school RE teacher suggested. I think in public schools if should be banned!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am religious. I'm not afraid to say that. My Dad is much like the op and anti religion. My father never wanted any of his children to have anything to do with organised religion because he doesn't believe in it and had negative experiences in the past. We asked our parents about it and I will forever be grateful my open minded mother who's actually bhuddist took us to several churches and then let us decide and choose.

Regardless of wether or not people believe I truly found many great values in religion. I loved the community aspect and the life lessons I learnt from church. Had my father had stood in the way of me experiencing what I had and took positively from religion I would be angry at him. I made the choice at the age of 8 to choose church and I do not regret it one bit.

I believe at the end of the day we should let a child decide wether or not they want to be involved with a religion. Let's face it no one is making them sign some ritual life binding contract with their own blood. If when they are older they decide not to go to church or believe religion it's easy enough to stop.

If it was my child I would not force them into re if they didn't want to. If I was in the op's situation I would most definitely put my own beliefs aside and let my child decide for themselves.

Do you know what gets me the most though. It's a crime to insult the Qur'an a legitimate legal crime. It comes under religious hate crimes. I am not Islamic and I respect the law and that religion. However it seems most people who can respect that can not respect Christianity in the same way.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Trusty Chords For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Thanks for all replies. I was working today so didn't have time to contact anyone (I wrote this thread on my break at work... Can't really make angry phone calls in a day spa... Lol), but tomorrow or Monday they will be getting a visit from me for certain. I will not be a jerk, but I will let them know how unimpressed and disappointed I am and that I will not tolerate another mistake like this.

As I said in my OP, I am fine with DD learning about different religions. As in, "this is what some people believe." However this lesson wasnt like that and from my understanding there is only one option for RE... Just generic Christianity where it is taught as fact.

I don't really care what others believe is right for their families... It is not my job to tell you that you are wrong... And I expect the same consideration for my choices for my family from the school.

I don't believe children need to participate in RE to oneday decide that religion is for them. It's highly unlikely that DD will reach adulthood not knowing religion exists... So I do think suggesting that she cannot choose a religious path without RE is a bit OTT. She's not even oblivious to the fact there are numerous religions at this age... The Simpsons was the original reason I spoke about the Chrisitan God (Homer was praying and getting everything he prayed for so kept on praying... Lol) and we have since spoken about Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism and Judaism. Only brief, she's only 7... But she is aware they exist and has some basic knowledge of them. When she is an adult, she can explore them herself if she so desires and can challenge their ideas and approach them without the innocence and unquestioning belief that she currently has.

I'm not sure those who practice Christianity, for example, would appreciate their children being taught about Allah and how he created everything, taught the Islamic faith, all against your written instruction. Same could go for any religion or belief system really. You choose what's right for your family and your children and you don't need some jerk coming along and deciding she won't read the roll because she wants to teach everyone "something special" which to me, is just her cutesy way of saying, "children, I want to brainwash you against your parents will... So ill just ignore their requests for you to be elsewhere during these lessons."

If it happens again... Well, I'm sure I will write about it here if it happens.

Edit: PP that commented right before this post... It's great that that's your choice for your family. I see no value or benefit in my daughter being taught the life she and her family lead is wrong, that god created everything (because he didn't. I'm sitting on a couch I'm pretty sure didn't come from God's factory), that what she is taught is truth. Not when she is too young and innocent to even consider questioning it or thinking, "hang on a sec... That doesn't make sense..."

It's not about whether or not you like or agree with religion. Do what you want with your kids... I don't care. I do not want my child to be preached to and I have let the school know this... And am furious my wishes were ignored.

I am open minded.... I just don't believe in indoctrinating children too young to understand the weight of their decision. She doesn't deserve to be brainwashed by some random volunteer at her school. She is my child and it is my duty to raise her well. My interpretation of well doesn't include religion. It might for others, just not for me.

It's not about Christianity. I would be just as annoyed if it was some other religion too.
    Last edited by SassyMummy; 21-02-2013 at 22:47.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Stiflers Mom  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I choose to educate my DS in a private non-denominational school. The only one here is Grammar. So, I dont have to worry about things like that.

However, if that happened, I would kinda just laugh it off and make a joke of it. I'd probably start pointing out all the injustices stretching from religion...

"A real, loving God wouldnt drown all the innocent animals of the world and only let one pair survive. I mean, what did all those other innocent animals that got left behind do?"

Each year we have to fill out the same info forms. Be proactive and dont rely on the school to manage certain records. I'm assuming its public and I'll assume its a very large public school. Therefore, probably understaffed admin wise. Not an excuse but it is a reasonable oversight to make..

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post

I don't believe children need to participate in RE to oneday decide that religion is for them.
    But I think this is the point of the programs that are run in school - Indoctrination works best when they are young and haven't developed the critical thinking skills the you mentioned C doesn't have yet. As you can probably guess, I share your irritation that this happens.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I'd be angry too. We've pulled DD out of religion classes because I objected to what she was being taught. Adam and Eve were taught as fact. Dinosaurs walked with people. People are all sinners. Non believers are the devils work. And God created everything, evolution is lies. And it is not taught as beliefs or opinion, but as fact.

i was stunned that this was allowed in schools, taught before the children have started learning science even.

Religion classes differ wildly from school to school as it depends entirely on which religious group conducts the class. I wonder how many parents know what their children are learning and how many make assumptions, trusting that the school oversees it and moderates it?

I was appalled when I discovered the content. I would love to see RE classes removed from school, or else taught by actual qualified teachers as an objective, comparative class teaching kids about the different religious systems. Better yet, replace RE with philosophy classes.
    This is precisely the reason I would not be happy with my child doing RE. While I am a Christian myself, there are so many different interpretations and styles of teaching within the religion, I simply do not think I would be happy with someone teaching my child something that is not what I believe to be the purpose and intent of the Bible.

This interpretation of the Bible is so far removed from my own beliefs, I would be mortified if my kids came home and told me that they heard this as fact!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh God (no pun intended), this thread brings up some very old and still-traumatising memories for me...

I went to a run-of-the-mill public school, at which each child had to specify which religion they were so they could be segregated into appropriate classes when it came time for RE lessons - ie Catholic kids went into one room to be taught by some elderly folk from the local Catholic church, and so forth. My problem was that I was the only child who wasn't baptised and whose migrant parents, despite believing in God themselves but having different religions, couldn't agree on the subject, so I had 'no religion'. Mum was a lot more relaxed about the matter than my hard-line father, who turned against his church (in an organised, institutional sense) and believed that "all churches and priests are corrupt but the Ten Commandments are still a helpful guide for good living". She said that it wouldn't hurt me to learn about different faiths so why didn't I just go along to a class with a different friend each time? Things didn't work out so easily though - the old folks who ran the classes objected to my presence in their classes (which were all various Christian religions), so I had to leave. So what did I do each time there there was an RE class? I had to spend the hour sitting in the classroom of a higher grade (ie the 'big kids'), who also resented my presence. I was so upset by it all I spent the whole time crying. I WAS SIX YEARS OLD! Yes, I am still traumatised...

The moral of my story is that no child this young wants to be excluded.

SassyMummy, I am 100% on your side and would have the same problems if this happened to my kids, but please consider the possibility that your DD may feel worse for being made to feel different. I may be able to joke now about what happened to me, but at the time it was awful. I'm sure there's a way the school could handle it - should've handled it - that is sensitive to your daughter and respectful of your wishes. Hope it all gets sorted

[I should also say that my story took place nearly 30 years ago and these days a lot more kids are unbaptised or come from atheist or agnostic households, so I doubt your daughter would be on her own in this situation or that you'd be the only parent with objections. Something else I wanted to add was that my best friend at that age was told by her Catholic priest that if you said 'sh!t' more than 200 times, you'd go straight to Hell - and she truly believed it. She even burst into tears once when I said it a couple of times in a row (little potty mouth I was for a while!). Honestly, talk about irresponsible teaching...]

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know if religion should be taught at all to young children. I believe they should put an age limit on it; although I know they never will. I know churches try to get it drilled into their heads when they are young that this is how it works, when they can't possibly analyze anything for themselves, just accept that it is the truth.
    I am an atheist but was raised as a catholic. I was baptized, had my first commination, confirmation … pretty much the works. I also had to attend church once a week and go to confession twice a year.
    I went to catholic schools growing up and I did get it drilled into me that this was how things were and not to really question it.
    When I was the age of 15 I actually started to question it all and worked out myself that I didn’t want to believe in it anymore. To say the least my parents were very disappointed.
    The thing is with religion, you only were get taught one. If they really want to support religion, they should have classes based on all and let the kids decide if they like any, or if none are suited for them. They need to be given all the facts, all the contradictions and all the religions.
    I’m not going to stop my kid from learning it once they can analyze things for themselves and be able to question things that don’t sound right to them. I’m not going to stop them belonging to any religion as what I believe doesn’t necessarily mean everyone has to believe it. If they want to become catholic and go to church each week, then good on them. Each to their own in what they believe in, but I don’t believe anyone should force their beliefs onto someone else no matter what their age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's ridiculous RE is taught in primary school at all, let alone at a public school with no common faith. How much is the church paying the government to do this? And why primary school kids? They don't understand it, no child does, not even adults understand or agree on theology
    So what is the point of children learning this? Like what could they possibly be teaching them? I have no issue with peoples beliefs and what they do at home, what church they attend and who they pray to, but school is about english, maths, science, sport. Not scripture, they're not at Sunday school and it's not 1813.
    What is the government thinking allowing young minds waste their time at school with this when we're so behind in basic numeracy and literacy skills? Our education system is behind, is our government that desperate for money they're allowing anyone in our schools to teach rubbish because they can't afford to educate our kids properly?
    As a parent with 2 kids about to start school it's very concerning. I'll be sending my kids to school with a book each and they can read or colour in while their peers are being taught something that means abosultely nothing in the grand scheme of their education.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Buttermilk For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (22-02-2013),MissMuppet  (22-02-2013),shelle65  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Like you OP I get extremely p!ssed off when *anyone* speaks with DS about there being a "God" who "made everything in the world". He takes everything so literally at his young age and there is no room for critical thinking. It's brainwashing. I do not tell him there isn't a God for the same reason. He's just not mature enough to understand or make up his own mind.

I don't believe it has a place in State schools fullstop. If parents want to teach their children Christianity it belongs in the home, not mass indoctrination in schools where they so often "whoops" forget about the parents wishes who do not wish for their children to attend.

My DS goes to a multicultural school so there is absolutely NO tolerance toward steering them toward one particular religion, Christians would be in the minority, but that doesn't stop the stupid old bats in OSHC from having these discussions.