+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Averley View Post
    They were back the next day and I was instructed by my teacher (and I still remember this, 25 years later) . . .

"[Averley], you had better go to the library. THE CHRISTIANS ARE HERE!"
    Sorry to go off topic but this is hilarious! the way the teacher said it, its like the aliens have arrived lol.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Averley  (22-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry this happened to your DD

I have very similar beliefs and if this happened to my DD I would certainly be putting in a complaint.
    I hate religion being taught as fact. I will be teaching my DD about religions and what they believe/practice (to the best of my ability, lol yay for Google) then be telling her about my beliefs and letting her decide for herself. If someone tried to frighten her into believing in God, or make her frightened for me and her Dad than I'd be going on the warpath

I really dread this type of thing happening at school (its why we are choosing public school in the first place). It honestly makes me want to home school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I'm catholic but honestly I didn't think religion was taught in state/public schools??

What's the go????

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS's new school now have an OPT IN form!!! So anyone who does not return the form will not be attending RE...i was stoked!

They have also passed a rule that means non RE kids will be doing educational work and not "free time". It will be non curriculum work (which gets them around the gov't ruling) but it will be educational work so that the kids are not simply "on hold" while Access Ministeries hold court and make their religion more important than all the other kids right to maintain their own beliefs.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (21-02-2013),MissMuppet  (21-02-2013),sweetseven  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I'd be furious and would be making a complaint to the school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be angry too. We've pulled DD out of religion classes because I objected to what she was being taught. Adam and Eve were taught as fact. Dinosaurs walked with people. People are all sinners. Non believers are the devils work. And God created everything, evolution is lies. And it is not taught as beliefs or opinion, but as fact.

i was stunned that this was allowed in schools, taught before the children have started learning science even.

Religion classes differ wildly from school to school as it depends entirely on which religious group conducts the class. I wonder how many parents know what their children are learning and how many make assumptions, trusting that the school oversees it and moderates it?

I was appalled when I discovered the content. I would love to see RE classes removed from school, or else taught by actual qualified teachers as an objective, comparative class teaching kids about the different religious systems. Better yet, replace RE with philosophy classes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

~ElectricPink~  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I was appalled when I discovered the content. I would love to see RE classes removed from school, or else taught by actual qualified teachers as an objective, comparative class teaching kids about the different religious systems.
    Exactly - we learnt a bit about Shinto and Buddhism in Japanese class as it's part of their culture and festivals etc.

I would love teaching about the different types of religion and what they're about as part of a Geography style class - teaching about the Middle East countries and how Islam is massive part of their lives and how Juadism is a massive part of Israel and Greek Mythology and their Gods when learning about Ancient Greece etc

But not as a specific this is Adam and Eve sort of thing. If families are religious and want their children to be educated in their religion then that is what your family church and youth group is for. Not the public school system.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wannawannabe For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    And I'm so angry for you!!*?!?*%!!

Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    the teacher ... didn't check the roll because she wanted them all to learn something special. Wtf?! So deliberately teaching kids who have had their parents request they don't attend. Furious at that.

She was told about how "everything is made by God." She has a handout with the same enormous and quite simply, unproven, claims written on it. Pretty annoyed again.
    *face palm*
    This is so unacceptable. Leave them a copy of "The God Delusion" or "God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything" and tell them you want them to learn something special

Religion has no place in schools other than possibly a comparative lessons that includes the option of atheism and agnosticism.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with sending in a note and I would also demand an apology from the teacher/school. I can understand why you would be upset.

I'm just very surprised at the what your daughter is learning at a public school. I'm Catholic and have spent 12yrs in Cath Ed and I have never once heard about people going to "Hell". In primary school it was more about the stories in the bible and the Beatitudes. High school was when we went into the dogma/theology a bit more and then I picked Study of Religion as a OP subject where of course there is the comparison of different faiths and within Christianity.

Mind you - I would lose my shizzz if someone told my kids that God didnt exist.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Cinderella82; 10-08-2013 at 22:34.