+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

DS just informed me that if i don't write a note he will have to attend religion from now on...wtf? I ticked non-scripture on the enrollment form, he hasn't been part of classes for the last 3 years.
    Is this some sort of sneaky way to get more kids into religion? I'm sure some kids wouldn't tell their parents they need a note or parents would forget.
    I'm infuriated as well!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My son goes to a Catholic School so obviously I support him taking part in religion classes but I would be furious if he was taught about his parents, or anyone else for that matter going to hell.

I suggest making an appointment with the teacher, RE teacher and the principal.

I also agree with a previous poster that a child does have to be exposed to something (be that religion or something else) in order to actually form an opinion or generate a belief.

schools are busy places and notes etc go missing, so it is probably a good idea for letters re classes/allergies/special requirements are sent at the start of every school year just to make sure that they adhere to your wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    DS just informed me that if i don't write a note he will have to attend religion from now on...wtf? I ticked non-scripture on the enrollment form, he hasn't been part of classes for the last 3 years.
    Is this some sort of sneaky way to get more kids into religion? I'm sure some kids wouldn't tell their parents they need a note or parents would forget.
    I'm infuriated as well!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Eeek, I have made kids in my class bring a note or have their parents call/drop in as some have tried to skip RE to play with friends who also don't do it or to try n join other classes whose kids just have free play time in these sessions!

I would never have a kid involved though whose parents have ticked no but to be honest, there are mistakes made at our school all the time with the kids who should AND shouldn't be as the lists you get list all the different religions, some names missing (so we always read this as no RE) and there is always at least one error! Why can't they make this easier on everyone!!!! Anyway, my point is as annoying as it is, maybe your Childs teacher gets a list as annoyingly structured as we do! I hope it's not a sneaky way to infiltrate religion, TBH, most teachers at my school would love to reclaim the teaching time. I love RE with my class' teacher as she works in well with me on values and that is pretty much all it is but I certainly know this is far from the norm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We do believe in religion and god in our house but thats just it its our house. It has no place in public schools. I would be livid if it were me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I would be furious. It is not your responsibility to chase the teachers every year to make sure that they check who is supposed to be in what class. They need to have a system in place. It can't be that difficult. I would be making a complaint in writing to the principal and copying the department of education.
    Last edited by shelle65; 21-02-2013 at 19:49.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by tootsiegirl View Post
    Eeek, I have made kids in my class bring a note or have their parents call/drop in as some have tried to skip RE to play with friends who also don't do it or to try n join other classes whose kids just have free play time in these sessions!

I would never have a kid involved though whose parents have ticked no but to be honest, there are mistakes made at our school all the time with the kids who should AND shouldn't be as the lists you get list all the different religions, some names missing (so we always read this as no RE) and there is always at least one error! Why can't they make this easier on everyone!!!! Anyway, my point is as annoying as it is, maybe your Childs teacher gets a list as annoyingly structured as we do! I hope it's not a sneaky way to infiltrate religion, TBH, most teachers at my school would love to reclaim the teaching time. I love RE with my class' teacher as she works in well with me on values and that is pretty much all it is but I certainly know this is far from the norm.
    Surely if there were doubt over a child attending religion, a simple check of enrollment details would suffice?

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

At my (former) school, parents have to return an A4 sheet signing permission/non permission for small excursions, using the Internet, being checked for headlice and religious instruction, which is sent home each year. It is kept in their folders, teachers receive a list and there is a master list in the front office. IMO, there is no excuse to overlook it. In reality, we didn't need the lists because between all the staff we would remember and remind each other.

I can quite understand your anger, and it is worth speaking to the principal because other families may have been affected. As for the hell aspect, if it did come up during class time, well, it was exceptionally poorly handled, to say the least. If it's true that an adult whom you have trusted to care for your child chose not to check permissions, then I believe a formal complaint is warranted.

This is just as much about policy, processes and duty of care in your school as it is RE.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    Surely if there were doubt over a child attending religion, a simple check of enrollment details would suffice?
    Sure, but just to point out the other side, I personally have had spilt parent families who have had complaints due to the other parents choice, parents who have not filled in the form properly, parent who have changed their mind from year to year due to their child/them developing an interest in it. And my point was, when the info is filtered through to us it's not as simple as a tick -yes RE (at my school at least as I said before) it names religions, leaves names off etc. As my school only has Christian volunteers, simply receiving the name of a different religion on MY form does not necessarily answer whether they want to participate in RE or not. Believe me, that drives me nuts as well as I feel I have enough to chase up each day. Lucky for me I don't have too many issues as I try to bring it up, time permitting, at beginning of year interviews, but i guess with everything you want to know at these meetings, not always the priority. I still think really bad form regarding the OPs message.

Thanks
    Reviews

Not the ops message, rather the response to it is what I meant!

Thanks
    Reviews

Gah! The response from the school- not here!! Everything can be so misinterpreted lol!