+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I don't blame you for being angry! That is sneaky, underhanded indoctrination!

This really highlights why I believe education and religion should be separate. Your child has been taught something not in the syllabus, against your knowledge, and against your own belief system.

I do have personal religious beliefs. But they are mine. I do not believe in forcing them on people. Especially other people's kids. If people ask, I will tell them. If they don't, that is ok.

Situations such as the one you describe do little but reinforce negative perceptions of religion!

Sent from my GT-N8010 using BubHub

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to risfaerie For This Useful Post:

River Song  (21-02-2013),~ElectricPink~  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Religion should, if it all, be taught with a 'some people believe in this religion for x reason, just as others believe in this other religion for y reason. Especially for such young children! I really don't agree with any particular religion being taught in any non-selective schools.

I would be pis$ed, Sassy. I would be writing a letter to the Principal and Dept. of Ed. as a PP suggested. Because your dd has been brainwashed (because that's what *I* believe it is), I would also rehash on the variety of religions and their basic beliefs (age appropriate of course) and give her an open mind again.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

River Song  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

I would be more angry at my kids teacher for not checking before they left the room and left my child with a preacher, something you didn't approve.
    I would make an appointment with the principle asap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You know how I feel on the subject.

I totally understand how this would make you furious!!

so looking forward to the day when secular public schools are no longer treated as proselytising platforms
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 21-02-2013 at 17:18.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    I would be more angry at my kids teacher for not checking before they left the room and left my child with a preacher, something you didn't approve.
    I would make an appointment with the principle asap.
    ^ this the teacher should have called the kids who were not doing religious Ed out.

I do agree that a new letter should be written every year. There could be a number of reasons why it was overlooked ( hey you could have been born again over the holidays)

Ok op please don't take this the wrong way, as it is a sensitive issue (and i personally am not comfortable with the type of religious education described,) and I believe that what happened was wrong however you said if she wants to believe/ learn she can, but you are then in the next breath restricting her opportunity.
    I am NOT religious and my mother is like you, complete atheists but gave us the opportunity to learn if we wanted to. We did classes at school and even attended several youth groups. I too am black and white in my thinking, which is why i don't believe as there is no evidence ( in my opinion) to justify the gods existence, I did however choose to learn ( from a young age) so that I could understand others view points on the matter and to not completely dismiss the idea. ( in saying that classes that were Ott like this one I skipped out of as I found the re teachers to be delusional and irrational).

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plan2bamummy For This Useful Post:

Mod-Myztik  (21-02-2013),MsTruth  (21-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by kalgirl View Post
    Vic Park. I wasn't claiming to support the idea of Christian RE, just making the point that it sounds lime an administrative over site (maybe?). One that could and should be fixed. Sassy has every right to have her wishes respected in regards to the knowledge content that is delivered to her daughter at school.
    No worries.. I know you weren't necessarily supporting RE. It's just the Who's responsible bit we disagreed on. I added the extra bits because I couldn't be stuffed writing 2 different posts

Thanks
    Reviews

I would be making a formal complaint about the RE teacher. By refusing to acknowledge the parents wishes they have crossed the line. How would the RE teacher feel if someone took their kids aside and told them that god didn't exist and that their parents were lying to them. It goes both ways and they need to remember that.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

VanityFey  (21-02-2013)

Mod-Myztik is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    My April Fools baby
    Winner 2009- Biggest Post-Awards Whinger
    Winner 2010- Biggest Computer Nerd

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Ask for a meeting with the principal and the re teacher. Demand answers from the principal and make the teacher aware that C is not to be in her class again. If it does happen again there is no chance they can deny knowing she wasn't meant to be there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    This actually happened to me as a child in primary school - year 5, I think, so I would have been a bit older at 10. Surprise RE class. When I bounced home and told Mum and Dad we had religious education, they hit the roof. Straight onto the school and told them I wasn't to be included in future. They were back the next day and I was instructed by my teacher (and I still remember this, 25 years later) . . .

"[Averley], you had better go to the library. THE CHRISTIANS ARE HERE!"

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Averley For This Useful Post:

acerbaby  (21-02-2013),InWatermelonSugar  (22-02-2013),Sariele  (23-02-2013),twotrunks  (21-02-2013)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be making a complaint. I have nothing personally against my kids being taught religion as in "this is what these people believe" but being taught it as fact when they're likely to take anything a teacher says as 'gospel' (*snort* yeah I know, the irony of using that turn of phrase... Anyway...) really cheeses me off.
    ESPECIALLY if I'd already registered my child as a non-religious education child.