+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Just because its a school of so and so faith, it's still a school and Catholics particularly are usually the only choice because there are so many, they're not as expensive as other private schools and they get more funding be with it fees aswell to offer more than public schools. More than you realise don't go there because it has RE.
    I would never send my kids to a catholic primary school that's for sure, at least in highschool they're not as vulnerable and more critical.
    I am well aware of this. We are already making lifestyle choices (like the suburb we live in) to ensure that our dd goes to our preferred school (public), but if we have to move suburbs our preference then becomes a Catholic school and we are atheists. Part of making the decision for your child's education is, especially for a religious school, is the core values. If they are not in line with yours, are they atleast something that you can accept? If not, then that school should be crossed off your list.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by Chippa View Post
    I totally agree with this. If you choose to send your child to a catholic school then you must accept that RE will be a regular part of their curriculum. Religion underpins their school philosophy and I can't see how it could be deemed as an elective, especially for younger students.

Sassy what happened to your daughter was wrong and as a public educator I always check and double check those students who are not permitted to attend RE lessons. I would hate for any student of mine to attend a scripture lesson where their parents have specifically requested they not go. It may have been an oversight (new students new year etc) and if you bring it to your teacher's attention now I'm sure it wouldn't happen again.

The PP who said they would threaten legal action concerns me! As a teacher we do our very best to ensure parent's wishes are followed in regards to RE. Mix ups and mistakes can happen; us teachers are only human!! Bring it to our attention and the error can be rectified. Threatening legal action is slightly OTT unless a teacher repeatedly ignored a parent's direction. Communication is key!!!
    It was me who said that I threatened legal action, and this is because I had already very specifically denied permission for my daughter to go to re.

To then find out that some random member of the public with no credentials at all was coming into school time and teaching her that evolution was wrong, that humans couldn't have come from monkeys, and so on was shocking and hurtful beyond belief.

I will take whatever steps necessary to protect my children hearing such garbage.

This was in a state primary school and I assure you no parents were aware that teir children were being taught this rubbish which directly contradicts their science curriculum

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (24-02-2013),kw123  (24-02-2013),MissMuppet  (24-02-2013),River Song  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks goodness we live in a country where we are given a choice on how we would like our children to be educated, we are free to choose a school which supports and educates according to our own personal, family or community beliefs.

We have a government which doesn't say one size fits all and must suit everybody and as such funds various schools, as all the parents sending them to whichever school are tax payers.

The government has an obligation to fund all students regardless of the school that they go to, which school is a choice they are free to make. However, I don't believe the government should be funding capital works to private schools.

Saying RE doesn't belong in a religious schools is something just can't get my head around. It's kind of pot calling the kettle black, imposing a set of values or beliefs. Same thing people are complaining about.

One way to improve state schools is to keep kids enrolled in them. Every time a state school loses an enrolment they lose funding.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-02-2013),Elijahs Mum  (24-02-2013),MsTruth  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I am well aware of this. We are already making lifestyle choices (like the suburb we live in) to ensure that our dd goes to our preferred school (public), but if we have to move suburbs our preference then becomes a Catholic school and we are atheists. Part of making the decision for your child's education is, especially for a religious school, is the core values. If they are not in line with yours, are they atleast something that you can accept? If not, then that school should be crossed off your list.
    My kids won't be going to a religious school or attend re in the state school. We also moved to be in the zone for our preferred public. Highschool is another kettle of fish and we'd probably have to move again.
    So beside the point, I don't believe in religious indoctrination for young children at any school. I've explained why throughout the thread, we just have different morals values and beliefs. I don't blindly accept things as just because or because those are the rules. And I would always question what value there really is in compulsory re for any child, its purpose at schools and the agenda of the churches funding them.
    My re teacher was gay in year 12 and was not allowed to discuss sexuality, being gay was unacceptable. As a child I was afraid of hell and the devil and being punished by God. Children don't need this crap in the classroom without parental supervision. It's wrong to teach them things they can't question and understand like an adult can.
    Last edited by Buttermilk; 24-02-2013 at 15:45.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Slightly off topic but I find the use of the term indoctrination a little over the top. I went to a Catholic primary and high school and RE could never have been described as 'indoctrination'. Classes were pretty basic,no bible bashing,could ask questions etc. There was mass on special occassions,sacraments which as a kid were fun (and to be honest meant a party and presents), and talks about stories in the bible and nothing more. In high school debates often happened,eg in year 12 I wrote an essay as to why RE should not be tested and that sparked interesting debates not outrage between teachers and students. RE was such a small part of the day and sometimes never even got a mention.

Sure it was a core philosophy but that philosophy was really just about being the best person you can be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post

We have a government which doesn't say one size fits all and must suit everybody and as such funds various schools, as all the parents sending them to whichever school are tax payers.

The government has an obligation to fund all students regardless of the school that they go to, which school is a choice they are free to make. enrolled in them. Every time a state school loses an enrolment they lose funding.
    Not trying to pick and choose what I quote but I think what others are saying is that for many people there isn't a choice they are free to make. Where I grew up in North Qld you could say you took your life into your own hands going to the local state school. It just wasn't an option. Many state schools are going broke and cannot cope with the number of students they have with special needs, particularly schools in low socio economic suburbs which get the same funding as any other pubic school yet often have kids with behavioural problems, or English as a 2nd language.

So for many people who send their children to a private school, they may not have a real "choice". If public schools were better funded people wouldn't feel private was the only option sometimes.

I realise this is something people who send their kids to a religious school would never agree with, but I don't actually think it's that giant a leap to make that RE studies not be compulsory, certainly not at high school.

Anyway, it's only a dream as I can't see it happening. But certainly one thing this discussion has done is make me realise that, at least for me, separation of state and church is still something I hold very dearly, even if it's less important to others.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

I went to a very catholic school. RE was compulsory until year 10. Then after that it was elective. I loved the music the best!

And to say not have RE classes or masses at a catholic school is ridiculous. It's a CATHOLIC school. Yes Catholic.
    Last edited by MummaJez; 24-02-2013 at 16:42.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MummaJez For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (26-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Chew the Mintie View Post
    It was me who said that I threatened legal action, and this is because I had already very specifically denied permission for my daughter to go to re.

To then find out that some random member of the public with no credentials at all was coming into school time and teaching her that evolution was wrong, that humans couldn't have come from monkeys, and so on was shocking and hurtful beyond belief.

I will take whatever steps necessary to protect my children hearing such garbage.

This was in a state primary school and I assure you no parents were aware that teir children were being taught this rubbish which directly contradicts their science curriculum
    Thanks for the clarification CTM I can totally understand why you felt that way.

I think that's appalling and has no place in our schools. To force students to participate in RE lessons without parental knowledge or consent is wrong on so many levels.

I hope this was rectified immediately and I truly hope this kind of thing does not ever happen to you or your DD again.

Thanks
    Reviews

Lol I don't think so.. The irony is I suppose I wouldn't have minded so much about her being taught about Jesus, bible etc (or exposed to it rather ) but I have a huge interest in evolution so that was what bothered me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I wonder how utterly confusing it must be for children of parents from other faiths, especially if they are being taught this faith. My son's school wouldn't dare have a RE class which taught Christianity as fact. It's a very multi-cultural school where Christians would be in the minority. I would imagine it would be very damaging for some families to have their children attending these classes.

Very convenient how often the parents wishes are whoops - forgotten. Happened to me in high school and my dad, rightfully, had some very harsh words for the school.
    Last edited by Benji; 26-02-2013 at 08:53.