+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    But it's not necessarily.... Sorry but have you read all the posts by others and myself? I feel like you haven't read them? I was responding to the fact that the previous poster said one thing and then was told by another poster that 'clearly' she thinks the opposite! I don't care if people have different opinions but telling others what the actually think is wrong, is inflammatory.

I am not really wanting to continue as I don't really have anything to add on the subject. Sorry OP!!
    I think you're reading too far into what I said. I didn't say that Buttermilk's opinion was wrong. I just can't understand why anyone would think religious schools should make RE optional, after all, they are a religious school and *you* as a parent have the choice to send your child there. The religious aspects are something that most certainly should be taken into account when choosing a school for your child and if you don't agree with their core values, a religious school is not the right choice for you.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

River Song  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

It's just not true though, people of all faiths send their kids to catholic school, Muslim, Hindu there was everything at our catholic school. That doesn't mean parents wanted them to go to church and learn about Catholicism. Parents send their kids to a school for the general education they offer and sometimes with no choice so put up with the re curriculum which is a waste for anyone who isn't of that faith.
    The only people who didn't have to go to school church service were Muslims actually, not sure why but everyone else had to.

r&a I didn't say no re in religious school, just make it elective is all. I'm unsure what you mean that it's in everything at the school? I didn't find that at my school, I really just have issue with teaching children scripture, giving them your interpretations and opinions (which they take as fact) and them being unable to ask the questions they need to ask.

Thanks
    Reviews

Just because its a school of so and so faith, it's still a school and Catholics particularly are usually the only choice because there are so many, they're not as expensive as other private schools and they get more funding be with it fees aswell to offer more than public schools. More than you realise don't go there because it has RE.
    I would never send my kids to a catholic primary school that's for sure, at least in highschool they're not as vulnerable and more critical.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    But it's not necessarily.... Sorry but have you read all the posts by others and myself? I feel like you haven't read them? I was responding to the fact that the previous poster said one thing and then was told by another poster that 'clearly' she thinks the opposite! I don't care if people have different opinions but telling others what the actually think is wrong, is inflammatory.

I am not really wanting to continue as I don't really have anything to add on the subject. Sorry OP!!
    I've read all the posts. I just think you over reacted to the post. That's all. I didn't read it as inflammatory, more just an opinion.

I happen to think that if you send your children to a religious based school you have to be prepared for them to have RE. That's the way it is set up. If you don't want a religious based education, then you send your child to a public or non religious private school.

I find it difficult to understand the logic behind the argument that RE should be voluntary in religious based schools. That's not said to be inflammatory, it's said because I really am having difficulty understanding it.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-02-2013),atomicmama  (24-02-2013),babyla  (24-02-2013),happy wanderer  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    I've read all the posts. I just think you over reacted to the post. That's all. I didn't read it as inflammatory, more just an opinion.

I happen to think that if you send your children to a religious based school you have to be prepared for them to have RE. That's the way it is set up. If you don't want a religious based education, then you send your child to a public or non religious private school.

I find it difficult to understand the logic behind the argument that RE should be voluntary in religious based schools. That's not said to be inflammatory, it's said because I really am having difficulty understanding it.
    I totally agree with this. If you choose to send your child to a catholic school then you must accept that RE will be a regular part of their curriculum. Religion underpins their school philosophy and I can't see how it could be deemed as an elective, especially for younger students.

Sassy what happened to your daughter was wrong and as a public educator I always check and double check those students who are not permitted to attend RE lessons. I would hate for any student of mine to attend a scripture lesson where their parents have specifically requested they not go. It may have been an oversight (new students new year etc) and if you bring it to your teacher's attention now I'm sure it wouldn't happen again.

The PP who said they would threaten legal action concerns me! As a teacher we do our very best to ensure parent's wishes are followed in regards to RE. Mix ups and mistakes can happen; us teachers are only human!! Bring it to our attention and the error can be rectified. Threatening legal action is slightly OTT unless a teacher repeatedly ignored a parent's direction. Communication is key!!!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chippa For This Useful Post:

happy wanderer  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm now starting to agree with Buttermilk re making RE elective. I have a real problem with public money being used to fund religious purposes. Churches already get significant tax breaks. If they want public money to fund their schools it is a requirement that they also take a certain percentage of nondenominational students. So they know they will have kids there who are not of their faith.

RE should be optional. If parents want their kids to do it make them do it. But it doesn't sit well with me that it's compulsory.

Still not sure what you'd do in primary school. Probably opt out should be possible given funding structures.

DH did a lot of research into private schools where we are in WA and believes a number of the high schools already do make it optional. Not catholic as I'd homeschoolbefore sending a child to a catholic school.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (24-02-2013),Stiflers Mom  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakois View Post
    You've missed the point of what I was saying, i dont think religious groups should be involved in education at all, as in run schools, all schools should be government/non-religion biased.

No I wasn't 'reacting', just saying I think she was being unfair because actually many people do send their kids to religious schools because its the only decent option around, because the Catholic Church is loaded and can penetrate the school system as a result. Anyway, I'm busy so can't keep checking back here but yeah not sure why people keep making the same points, and resorting to personal insults. Meh

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

Buttermilk  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

I actually thought you had to be catholic to go to a catholic school! Guess I was wrong.

If you choose to send your kid to a religious school then sorry, suck it up.

I would never send my kid to a catholic school for this reason. But if I "had" to then I certainly wouldn't be surprised that they were taught Catholicism.

ETA: this only applies to private schools. Should definitely be elective in public schools!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (27-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

I know here in Sydney I think the government requires catholic schools to accept 5% non Catholics to keep their funding?
    My secretary at works daughter ( they are catholic) just started year 7 at a catholic high school, there were 250 year 7 spaces and 450 applications , she got in but a lot of Catholics did not due to insufficient places

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    I think that demanding that religious schools NOT teach their religion is arrogant and bizarre...honestly what next....
    No one is demanding anything, just providing opinions. Why the accusation of arrogance?

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Sending your child to a religious speaks loud and clear that you are willing them to learn RE.
    Not necessarily. I went to an Anglican high school for 2 years, my parents are atheist. The reason they sent me there was because it was supposed to provide me with a better education than a state school. If that meant I had to attend RE classes then that was a price they were willing to pay.

The goal of a religious school is to perpetuate the faith, not to provide a secular education otherwise why would they be religious based and insist on RE and the students participating in religious rituals? A Catholic school (or any other particular religion) is established to perpetuate Catholicism (or said religion). Now by doing so it has to market itself above the competition (state schools).

Going back to my utopia, there would be no religious schools, just quality state schools where any classes that discuss religion do so from an anthropological / historical point of view, not presented as fact. Children would also be aware that atheism and agnosticism is perfectly acceptable as well.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-02-2013)