+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

A similar thing happened to me sassy and i was so angry. I specifically denied permission for re but my daughter came home one day saying the teacher had said evolution is wrong etc. appalling.

I am very clear about it now, that I will make complaints / take legal action etc if necessary.

Previously I was not too fussed but to hear the absolute tripe this volunteer was 'teaching' shocked me to the core. I even made a speech at a p & c meeting (only one I've ever gone to lol).

It's very important to me now that my children aren't included in any religious education at all (unless it's anthropological slanted)

I

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chew the Mintie For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-02-2013),MissMuppet  (24-02-2013)

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Sassy- how did you go? Did you follow up with the classroom teacher and make sure C won't be included in any more RE classes? Hope the school has sorted it out for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    Do you think the same for all religious schools, like Jewish, Muslim schools as well should not teach it? Not trying to be annoying, I'm just not getting it...
    Yes - I said earlier at least once that I don't believe religion should play a part in the school system at all, nada.

What don't you get? I'll try to clarify (maybe in a PM as I'm feeling a bit repetitive in the thread and I'm going a bit off-topic).
    Last edited by Ellewood; 24-02-2013 at 05:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Re: I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    No I don't think that's where the money is going. I just stongly believe it should. Governments should not be funding private schools. It is completely inappropriate that state and federal money be used for religious schools.
    But those parents pay tax too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    Their schools their rules? I mean they educate about a 5th of our children, many who aren't catholic, they get funding from the government to run their schools, our public schools are in shambles and they use the money they get to indoctrinate children into the catholic faith. It abuses the lack of good quality schools we have avaible for their own cause.
    Will it be a big deal to make it elective? Or are they scared majority of kids won't get involved? How many of these parents even take their kids to church or involve them in religion at home? Besides celebratinig easter/christmas and that's it? How many people baptise their babies just because it's tradition or even just to get their kids into a good school with no interest in the religious side?
    Making children go to confession? I mean are you joking? What do kids need to confess about? Why would anyone want their child to participate in such a thing? I think the catholics need to worry about the sins of their priests and the corruption in the vatican and not be so concerned about getting children to confess and feel they need religion to cleanse their "sins"
    Sorry, not ranting at you Elijahs mum

No it wouldn't.
    I still don't believe in re for children, and highschool kids should have it as an elective at least after grade 10. What will happen if it's elective so the kids whose parents want them to learn and believe in it can make their kids attend? Why is that so bad? Does it still not achieve the same thing?
    Sending your child to a religious speaks loud and clear that you are willing them to learn RE.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    Sending your child to a religious speaks loud and clear that you are willing them to learn RE.
    Look, even though this comment wasn't directed at me, it's very unnecessary and not sure why you made it apart from wanting to trigger or just be bi.tchy. It does not 'speak volumes' at all, as others have clearly and repeatedly explained. Move on

Thanks
    Reviews

Well then buttermilk we have to agree to disagree. I would be very unhappy if a catholic school did not have RE as part of it's curriculum.

I would then have to homeschool. Thankfully I do have my teaching qualifications.

I actually think they don't teach enough about it in schools- private schools that is.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    Look, even though this comment wasn't directed at me, it's very unnecessary and not sure why you made it apart from wanting to trigger or just be bi.tchy. It does not 'speak volumes' at all, as others have clearly and repeatedly explained. Move on
    Wtf
    So because you don't agree with me I'm being *****y? Am I not entitled to an opinion that is different to others? Buttermilk, at the bottom of her post, asked a question and I answered it. I don't at all see how that is trying to trigger or be *****y. Maybe you could be a little more clear as to how you drew this conclusion?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by MeetTheBluths View Post
    I didn't find the comment to be anything like you've described
    It was a statement that actually makes a lot of sense. If you send your child to a religious based school, it's pretty clear that your happy for your child to have RE as part of the curriculum.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jakois For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-02-2013),River Song  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But it's not necessarily.... Sorry but have you read all the posts by others and myself? I feel like you haven't read them? I was responding to the fact that the previous poster said one thing and then was told by another poster that 'clearly' she thinks the opposite! I don't care if people have different opinions but telling others what the actually think is wrong, is inflammatory.

I am not really wanting to continue as I don't really have anything to add on the subject. Sorry OP!!