+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default I am so angry... (Religion in schools)

Buttermilk.

Would you rather catholic schools ONLY accept practicing Catholics? That way they can't be blamed for teaching catholic ways to non believers... Yes?

I think that demanding that CATHOLIC schools do not teach aspects of Catholicism is bizarre.

Religion in catholic primary schools is interwoven into the normal lessons plus acknowledging special days ie ash Wednesday, Easter, Pentecost etc.

Religion in a catholic high school is a subject and explores into the history of the church, the important moments for Australian Catholics, the development of protestant churches etc. Yes there are aspects of classes that deal with scripture and bible study but there is a lot more as well.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Yes but those schools would need more teachers, more resources, more buildings etc so you would end up where we are - still underfunded with bigger class sizes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Buttermilk.

Would you rather catholic schools ONLY accept practicing Catholics? That way they can't be blamed for teaching catholic ways to non believers... Yes?

I think that demanding that CATHOLIC schools do not teach aspects of Catholicism is bizarre.

Religion in catholic primary schools is interwoven into the normal lessons plus acknowledging special days ie ash Wednesday, Easter, Pentecost etc.

Religion in a catholic high school is a subject and explores into the history of the church, the important moments for Australian Catholics, the development of protestant churches etc. Yes there are aspects of classes that deal with scripture and bible study but there is a lot more as well.
    I think that demanding that religious schools NOT teach their religion is arrogant and bizarre...honestly what next....

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

mama and her little bearxxx  (23-02-2013),OJandMe  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

We have all established that RE has no place in public schools.

But to demand private RELIGIOUS schools do not teach their own religion is bizarre.

What's equally bizarre is that there are non catholics that WANT to go to a catholic school and even fake involvement ie baptism to get in. I mean... If it's so bad then why the long waiting lists? Why the fake details??

ETA: I would pay full price to send my kids to a catholic school. If one were not avail - then to another Christian denomination school. Then another religious school but not a secular school. But that's me.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 23-02-2013 at 22:59.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (24-02-2013),mama and her little bearxxx  (23-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mama and her little bear View Post
    A lot of the catholic schools have had their funding cut this year seeing fees rise by around 1.5 + grand a term,

On the other side of the fence the public schools are getting much higher enrolements (4,5,6 kindy classes)

Do you think the funding is going to the public schools? No its going into he govt budget to put it back into + instead of -

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510b using BubHub
    No I don't think that's where the money is going. I just stongly believe it should. Governments should not be funding private schools. It is completely inappropriate that state and federal money be used for religious schools.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Buttermilk.

No I would rather they accept all students since there are so many schools about and make religion an elective not compulsory. I don't see why that's a bad thing? It would even probably take the pressure off the public school system with more families choosing it since its not indoctrinating their child by force.
    I'm not arrogant or demanding, these are personal views on religion and its place in main****** education.

Are you happy with segregation in general?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttermilk For This Useful Post:

Ellewood  (24-02-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews

Non government schools only get a fraction of what it costs for the government schools , that's why the parents top it up with their fees - ill have to find it but it's something in the billions that parents save the government every year by paying school fees

Thanks
    Reviews

R&A I went to a catholic highschool and I'm not catholic. I went because my public highschool was crap (and it closed that year anyway) Private grammar was too expensive and catholic was my only choice, we have more catholic schools here than public when I think about it??
    Lots of girls were in the same boat and the religion was something we just put up with, it was a good school with a strong science program, it wasn't a good school because it taught Catholicism. People can say if you don't like it don't go there, but there really are little options in our schooling system with public schools seriously lacking. So Catholics schools opening their doors to non Catholics and not forcing indoctrination isn't a bad thing imo.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Buttermilk View Post
    No I would rather they accept all students since there are so many schools about and make religion an elective not compulsory. I don't see why that's a bad thing? It would even probably take the pressure off the public school system with more families choosing it since its not indoctrinating their child by force.
    I'm not arrogant or demanding, these are personal views on religion and its place in main****** education.

Are you happy with segregation in general?
    You can't make religion an elective in schools ESP catholic schools because it's interwoven thru the whole curriculum.

Besides many parents WANT their children to learn about their faith. Otherwise why send them to a catholic school?

Why do you ask about segregation?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I strongly support the findings of the Gonski review (http://igiveagonski.com.au/what-s-gonski/). Some private schools will always need a level of government funding to survive and the funding needs to be dramatically redistributed amongst all schools (state and private). And some catholic schools are struggling because of settlements due to litigation (which payments have to be disclosed).

Anyway that's completely OT. I'm going to bed.
    Last edited by Sonja; 23-02-2013 at 23:47.